Freehold Update

Not sure how much cost of housing is but eating out was ridiculously inexpensive.

VWeā€™ve lived in our current home in Freehold for close to 30 years. For all this time our local go-to Chinese restaurant was Szechuan Star, located in a small strip mall on Route 9. Though there are more adventurous Chinese restaurants in the area, Szechuan Star was reliably consistent. Canā€™t count how many colds were soothed with their hot and sour soup. For all the time we frequented the place we always saw the owner on site. We recently commented that one of the things we like about our longevity in town is seeing many of the same merchants over the years. Nonetheless it was obvious the owner had been getting on in years yet he was still tending to his restaurant as recently as a couple of weeks ago. I recently heard Szechuan Star closed as the family sold it to new owners whose plans are unknown. Though Iā€™m saddened to see them gone I hope the original owners enjoy whatever plans they have and all their hard work over the years has paid off for them. Weā€™ll miss them.

9 Likes

FYI not sure if best to post here or on the heirloom post but upcoming collaboration dinner with heirloom and Aazru.

2 Likes

165 plus tax and tip is 211 and change. So thatā€™s 35.31 per course if my math is right. That is a pretty steep if Iā€™m indeed reading this correctly. Am I?

3 Likes

TOTALLY agree. Their emails torture me, but I wonā€™t spend that kind of money. I guess people sign up, because they keep charging at that levelā€¦

4 Likes

Iā€™m not going to recheck your math, but seems about right. Pricey for sure and a little higher than the normal Heirloom pre-fix menu pricing.

1 Like

Empire Szechuan in Marlboro also makes a hot & sour soup with amazing curative powers.

Empire Szechuan also uses Szechuan brown pepper in their Ma Po Tofu. (Most places donā€™t.)

Ok am I going to have to take another one for the team? Lol

1 Like

No Shake Shack for Freeholdā€¦

1 Like

Another spot that appears to be newā€¦

1 Like

I went to Tre on Route 33 for the first time yesterday. Decent spot with a rustic Italian bistro ambiance. I had a ā€œpersonalā€ thin crust pizza which was probably twice the size I felt like eating after the sampler appetizer with mozzarella, tomatoes and hot peppers. I preferred it to Pazzo in Red Bank but not quite as much as Teresa Caffe in Princeton where the pizza was so good that we ordered seconds.

Thatā€™s in the old Shloka. I miss that place.

Yeah that place was pretty good.

Menuā€¦

1 Like

Some dishesā€¦not rushing back here. It was just ok for me.

4 Likes

So I went to Fusha last night. How in the world does this place have such rave reviews? I tried three dishes and each one was just okā€¦nothing bad at all. It just lacked flavor. I asked for my thai dish extra spicy and it literally had no heat. It didnt even have fresh basil. Over 30 minute wait for 3.

Editā€¦I ordered the thai basil as a dish so I expected some fresh basil.

2 Likes

With a couple of exceptions, the food wasteland known as Freehold

1 Like

Half price, thatā€™s how.

1 Like

It could be better.

the food wasteland known as Freehold

I kinda like Freehold. I think I would take Freehold over Asbury or Red Bank.

3 Likes