Food News of interest in the rest of Texas

Small town spelling of AYCE - All You Can Eat? You know how country folk drop the last letter off words, like ‘How y’all doin’?’

2 Likes

Always as a kid when heading to Lake of the Ozarks, a diner loomed with the slogan “Have you et yet?”
We never did eat there.

2 Likes

Not from the little creamery in Brenham…, or from those contented cows they have so many of up there.

I think I tried Brianna’s once, years ago, not sure. Did not realize it was made in Tx.

This thing is getting a huge amount of publicity, at least in Texas.

And lookey - Alison likes it:

The owner of Houston’s Hubcap Grill points out they’ve had one for years now.

Seems like a natural to me. Wait — Whataburger hasn’t even had a chili cheeseburger til now?

Limited time only.

2 Likes

Got to hurry to catch this one this year - it starts today. There doesn’t seem to be all that much activity actually centered on yams, er, uh, sweet potatoes. No cook-off? No competition? No yam petting zoo?

Gilmer is a place I’ve wanted to visit. It was the birthplace of a surprising number of well-known musicians - Johnny Mathis, Don Henley of the Eagles, bluesman Freddie King, folk singer Michelle Shocked and country singer/songwriter Jason Sellers. Must be something in the water. Or the sweet potatoes.

Here is Hungry Onion’s own Sweet Potato-boree, a good thread.

2 Likes

A couple of chains included.

1 Like

Yeah, what the heck? I’d just want a regular Whataburger with cheese and all the standard trimmings and a scoop of chili under the top bun, a regular chili size.

2 Likes

Brianna’s makes a particularly good poppyseed dressing. My favorite fruit salad is mango, orange, banana, sliced strawberry, and blackberry tossed in poppyseed dressing served on a scoop of Good Culture cottage cheese.

2 Likes

Bruce, if you are looking for a cheeseburger with chili in Austin, my two favorites are Wally’s and Sandy’s.

1 Like

I have to admit I’ve been tempted by that poppyseed dressing. Funny, just thinking of the poppyseed kolaches from, what is it, Weikel’s :yum:. First I ever heard of poppyseed dressing = an ancient Helen Corbitt cookbook !

2 Likes

Thanks! Sandy’s sounds familiar - hmmmm - down on Manchaca?

South First at Barton Springs, next to my favorite Whataburger (food and service are great AND they employ great people with special needs). But I digress. Sandy’s has been around FFE. It is cash only. Everything is good. Out back you share fries with the grackles.

1 Like

Ah yes. I think I remember. I was just trying to remember the name of that road across there.

Been years now since I’ve been to Austin. Definitely don’t remember a Whataburger there. When I go I mostly try to hit old faves, if they’re still around, which, increasingly of course, they’re not. Sandy’s rang a bell.

3 Likes
1 Like

My impression with places like Chuy’s or Lupe Tortilla is that if that’s what you grew up with, they are fantastic. If you didn’t, they are at best ordinary Tex-Mex restaurants. The added original vs. franchise issue may exacerbate the problem. Proselytizing folks may also be a problem because I find they oversell.

2 Likes
1 Like