Food News of interest in the rest of Texas

Dairy Cone. Now that I’m out in Shiner I drive through Columbus fairly often. Old-school burger drive-in. Their burgers really are great. He was right about that.

2 Likes

Well that’s confusing since there’s been a Black’s in Lockhart for a very long time already. And why is it that these barbecue families always have fallings out and end up with competing businesses. Somebody needs to get counselors over to these barbecue joints.

3 Likes

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

A. There must be something in the smoke ???
B, EVERYBODY argues about BBQ ???
C. There’s money to be made.

3 Likes

Large poster at Brookshire’s entrance today.

SERVICE ANIMALS ONLY

Dogs, pets and other animals, trained or untrained, whose sole function is to provide comfort, companionship or emotional support. do not qualify as service animals under the law, and they are not permitted in our stores.

About time. Doubt they’ll do much to actually enforce this touchy subject policy, but it’s the thought that counts.

5 Likes

I was surprised to see a lady walking a standard poodle into Randalls in Houston this week. It was clearly not either one of those category of animals.

3 Likes

Learn something new every day ! - I never knew Port Arthur had been considered a hot spot :+1:

1 Like

I have a friend, a year older than me, who always took his dog with him when he left his apartment - for the dog’s sake, not his. The dog stayed in the car - never for very long - at stops. Then he’d go thru the drive-thru @ JCI/James Coney Island, get a coney or two for himself and ice cream for Baldwin. Baldwin liked ice cream. Baldwin was a very spoiled pooch (RIP).

4 Likes

Stopped by the “new” Black’s in Lockhart - Terry Black’s. New big building. Pretty - with outdoor space. And you walk in past the smokers, so that was nice. Had a couple of pork ribs & two slices of brisket. They were great, but I’d say comparable to the rest of the great BBQ joints around Texas. Nothing mind-blowingly above. The only different & perhaps “interesting” items worth mentioning are the sides. I read an interview with Terry & he specifically said that one thing that differentiates his place from others is that, unlike traditional Texas Q’ joints, he’s focusing on great sides. So I intentionally got potato salad & banana pudding. Meh. Didn’t finish either.

5 Likes

Trauma in the Coastal Bend – a delay in the opening of the first Cheesecake Factory in Corpus :wink:.

2 Likes
1 Like

I thought we had a dedicated statewide thread for BBQ but I can’t find it so this goes here:

The linked article about the 25 best places in Houston is posted in the Houston BBQ thread.

3 Likes

This is a story from a couple of months ago that I neveer got round to posting.

2 Likes
2 Likes
1 Like

I know some people prefer the point, but in case anyone is interested Kroger had flat cut corned beef briskets half price today. No sale sign in sight. Just a bunch heaped up in the bin. Exp date 4/27. Good deal. Not sure if they’re available at all stores but worth checking out.

3 Likes

They also had big pork shoulder roast for about $7.50, normally about $21. I need to get over there!

2 Likes

I’ve picked up a point and flat already this year, both from Aldi, and both under $3/lb. I love this time of year.

3 Likes

I got a point at Aldi yesterday, 3lbs, just my size. Most are too big. I’d like to try a bake someday but I just love the cabbage and potatoes boiled with it. How are y’all preparing yours?

1 Like