Food News of interest in the rest of Texas

I didn’t know they had expanded outside of Houston. I’ve never been to one.

1 Like

The original Lupe Tortilla on Stafford @ Grisby road just off I-10 and Highway 6 is good. The millions of franchises that began popping up in suburbia are not, in my opinion. Lots of other places deserve your patronage more.

1 Like

I don’t believe I ever knew about that one until now but the proliferation of locations is usually not a good sign. I think they already had several locations before I even noticed them. Thanks for the tip, though. If (!!!) I’m ever out that way … :smile:

1 Like

I’ve always been aware of the one in River Oaks. It replaced a Bordman’s, a seafood restaurant as I recall. Also have seen the original on Barton Spgs Rd. in Austin and was going to go it but it was a Sunday and it was packed.

Never knew it had become such a big chain, though.

2 Likes

Again with the franchising. I went to a franchised Chuy’s in Katy and it was so bad. The Austin and Houston originals should still be good, at least whenever I’ve tried to go to the RO location, I can’t find a parking spot at lunch time.

1 Like

I recommend Ray’s Drive In in Lufkin if ever in the area. I always stop for one of their burgers, very tasty!

1 Like

It is my favorite suburb of Robert Lee. Ever been there? I am not sure it has a restaurant.

1 Like

WHOOPS - I THOUGHT YOU WERE RESPONDING TO THE PLACE IN WICHITA FALLS. NOW I’M CONFUSED.

Not in my whole life, as best I can remember. Even had an aunt and uncle reside there most of their lives but we never went up. The burger looks good. I’d even be willing to look at the burger smothered in cheese, if it arrived at my table or one close by :smile: I’m not sure I’d be willing to do anything more than look at it, though.

There’s one in my home town that dates to 1953 and as strong as ever. It has survived much competition, even a Sonic right across the street. It’s a classic to me and evidently many others, but I’m not sure it’s trip worthy unless you grew up with it.

The City Cafe in Angleton was a revelation about small town burgers some years ago. It was the only business within 2 blocks of the courthouse that wasn’t a bail bondsman office, I think. That was years ago, though. Last time I went by … it was … a bail bondsman’s office.

What was that place in Columbus I remember raves about - maybe you and Mr. Ostiones?

We oughtta have a thread about small town burger joints/cafe’s, etc. TX Montly has done some lists and I put some miles on my car trying a few of them. Most weren’t really all that good.

1 Like

I pulled into Robert Lee once, and the closest thing I could find to a lunch menu was a vending machine. Robert Led, not San Angelo, was my destination. Whoopie!!!

1 Like

Best small town burger I’ve had in Texas was in Athens. The guy used his Dexter to pull a chunk of beef off a pile on a stainless steel shelf over the flat top and made one terrific smashburger.

4 Likes

:grin: Thanks for the clarification. I’d never heard of Robert Lee, Texas. I was going to pull up a map but I would have been looking for a Robert Lee County! Then I realized I needed to figure out where San Angelo is since I wasn’t sure. I would have missed it by miles and miles and miles! I’m sure I’ve never been there - when we used to travel by car we headed up through the Panhandle or due west to El Paso, never anywhere close to San Angelo. And San Angelo is in Tom Green County, not Robert Lee County, fwiw. Dang, this is a big state.

I did find Robert Lee - Internet foodies report there are 2 (two) restaurants and Another Place Cafe gets better reviews.

2 Likes

What comes with the dumplings?

Good idea!

Tx Monthly list is how I found Isaack’s in Junction. I know TexasRedTop eats there when in the area also.

1 Like

I had to Google Robert Lee. I haven’t heard of that town, but with a population of roughly 1,000 isn’t IT the suburb? :smile:

And what’s an AYC Dumpling??

1 Like

Of course. Feeble humor.

The comforting feeling of knowing you’re eating simple, filling and er…uh, comforting food?

And tea.

I wanna know what kind of dumplings? Gyoza?, Xiaolongbao? Wonton?

Maybe (or probably) one or the other of these: dumpling poll

You probably don’t get a choice.

1 Like