Food News of interest in the rest of Texas

What comes with the dumplings?

Good idea!

Tx Monthly list is how I found Isaack’s in Junction. I know TexasRedTop eats there when in the area also.

1 Like

I had to Google Robert Lee. I haven’t heard of that town, but with a population of roughly 1,000 isn’t IT the suburb? :smile:

And what’s an AYC Dumpling??

1 Like

Of course. Feeble humor.

The comforting feeling of knowing you’re eating simple, filling and er…uh, comforting food?

And tea.

I wanna know what kind of dumplings? Gyoza?, Xiaolongbao? Wonton?

Maybe (or probably) one or the other of these: dumpling poll

You probably don’t get a choice.

1 Like

Small town spelling of AYCE - All You Can Eat? You know how country folk drop the last letter off words, like ‘How y’all doin’?’

2 Likes

Always as a kid when heading to Lake of the Ozarks, a diner loomed with the slogan “Have you et yet?”
We never did eat there.

2 Likes

Not from the little creamery in Brenham…, or from those contented cows they have so many of up there.

I think I tried Brianna’s once, years ago, not sure. Did not realize it was made in Tx.

This thing is getting a huge amount of publicity, at least in Texas.

And lookey - Alison likes it:

The owner of Houston’s Hubcap Grill points out they’ve had one for years now.

Seems like a natural to me. Wait — Whataburger hasn’t even had a chili cheeseburger til now?

Limited time only.

2 Likes

Got to hurry to catch this one this year - it starts today. There doesn’t seem to be all that much activity actually centered on yams, er, uh, sweet potatoes. No cook-off? No competition? No yam petting zoo?

Gilmer is a place I’ve wanted to visit. It was the birthplace of a surprising number of well-known musicians - Johnny Mathis, Don Henley of the Eagles, bluesman Freddie King, folk singer Michelle Shocked and country singer/songwriter Jason Sellers. Must be something in the water. Or the sweet potatoes.

Here is Hungry Onion’s own Sweet Potato-boree, a good thread.

2 Likes

A couple of chains included.

1 Like

Yeah, what the heck? I’d just want a regular Whataburger with cheese and all the standard trimmings and a scoop of chili under the top bun, a regular chili size.

2 Likes

Brianna’s makes a particularly good poppyseed dressing. My favorite fruit salad is mango, orange, banana, sliced strawberry, and blackberry tossed in poppyseed dressing served on a scoop of Good Culture cottage cheese.

2 Likes

Bruce, if you are looking for a cheeseburger with chili in Austin, my two favorites are Wally’s and Sandy’s.

1 Like

I have to admit I’ve been tempted by that poppyseed dressing. Funny, just thinking of the poppyseed kolaches from, what is it, Weikel’s :yum:. First I ever heard of poppyseed dressing = an ancient Helen Corbitt cookbook !

2 Likes

Thanks! Sandy’s sounds familiar - hmmmm - down on Manchaca?

South First at Barton Springs, next to my favorite Whataburger (food and service are great AND they employ great people with special needs). But I digress. Sandy’s has been around FFE. It is cash only. Everything is good. Out back you share fries with the grackles.

1 Like