Food Aversions

I can only tolerate a very small amount of cilantro.
I’m allergic to honeydew, walnuts, and kiwi.
Not a fan of meaty fish like swordfish, and don’t care for pie crust, and chocolate.
And I agree with @Aubergine:

1 Like

I love sweetbreads, they’re a must-order for me on menus. I grew up eating calf’s liver, brains, sweetbreads, kidneys, as well as chicken livers & hearts, etc. I’ve not had calf’s brain since the mad cow disease hit in the 90s (?). That’s a long time ago. I liked it, and would totally have it again. I had a little bit of suckling pig brains at the Breslin many years ago when I did one of their feasts with a bunch of friends. It was overdone :rofl:

1 Like

There are only three ingredients I don’t eat: meat, poultry and trans-fat.

Meat and poultry make me feel awful. I can’t see them without thinking about the animal living a miserable life then dying a painful death.

I avoid trans-fats because I want to live a long life so that I can have much more delicious food.

With other ingredients if I dislike them I blame the preparation.

I dislike steamed or boiled Brussels sprouts. I love them roasted.

I dislike raw kale. I love it cooked.

I dislike chocolate and cinnamon together as I believe that cinnamon mutes the chocolate flavor. I like them both separately (especially chocolate).

I dislike chocolate dipped strawberries. In my view, to be firm enough to dip the strawberries must be underripe. Life is too short for underripe fruit.

I could provide a zillion more examples, but I think you get the point.

First food aversion acquired very early-- so early that I can’t place just when but prob 4 years old-- is a Texture thing-- I despise FAT to the point of getting admonished repeatedly that I was wasting good meat when making sure there wasn’t least particle of the nasty stuff clinging to a chop or steak. I’m a little more forgiving 50 years on & will tolerate teensy bits. So any food that resembles a fat texture is right out-- Raisins in baked goods I’m Iooking at you! Then there’s foods that just too chewy. Liver! It always smelled so good when Mom made it for Dad and I’d take a bite and just NOPE!

Flavors:

Green Pepper-- no idea how it happened since me & sis ate them raw as kids but cannot stand it.

Caraway-- instant turn-off. No seeded Rye for me thank-you very much!

Strawberry-- this is somewhat mixed. First encounter would’ve been Neapolitan Ice Cream at a b’day party. My sis adored it, I felt it ruined the choc & vanilla. OTOH, strawberry in its various additions to soda, bubble gum, ice pops are okay.

Foods:

Shrimp, Crab & any strong fish. (Otoh, love white fish–cod etc., clam strips, tuna)
Green Beans (texture)
Lima Beans (texture)

Prolly have a few more but all I can think of for now.

I’m with you there. Scrambled eggs need to be dry, and bigger “chunks” are better.

I also gag if I see cooked or semi-cooked egg yolks. Scrambled eggs are fine, but not hard-boiled and definitely not over easy, fried, sunny-side up, etc. When DH and I were dating and went out for brunch, I’d have to prop a menu up on the table between us so he could eat his ‘dippy eggs’. I’m grossed out just writing this.

My husband has a long list of aversions. I am feeling less put upon now!

3 Likes

Fennel and all its adjacent flavors, licorice and anise. No ouzo for this Greek American. Wild fennel is a common weed here in Norcal, and I have it sprouting in my back yard. I hit it with the weed whacker, and the smell lingers in the air. I finally found some local butcher-made Italian sausage that doesn’t have fennel in it.

2 Likes

You don’t consider poultry to be meat?

What then, may I ask, is included in your definition of “meat”?

Thank you.

Oh yes, I’ve always hated licorice. I do like tarragon, like mixed into chicken salad.

I consider poultry to be meat. Many people don’t; some people call themselves vegetarians and still eat poultry.

2 Likes

I grew up eating fresh pomegranate, and I’ve bought pomegranate molasses for Middle Eastern recipes. I still don’t like it.

I’d rather use blackcurrant or sour Cherry syrup or juice, if I want to add a tart fruit element to a sauce for duck or lamb . The blackcurrant juice from Germany and Poland is really good.

You reminded me that I don’t like scrambled eggs. :rofl:

(post deleted by author)

I am happy to live in a mayo free home where I don’t need to worry about kissing anyone that just had a tuna salad sandwich etc. Family values.

2 Likes

I can eat them raw, like cabbages and cauliflower, no problem. There is something that happens in the cooking process of some of the cruciferous veggies (sulfur gas?) that gets in air and I gotta get out of there. My MIL’s corned beef dish did it every time.

Ugh, kettle corn. Every time I go to a fair and see a popcorn vendor, my hopes rise a little. Then I catch of whiff of that nasty sweetness.

1 Like

You know that you have to scrub the beets to get the dirt off before you cook with them .

3 Likes

Some beet varieties have less of that dirt taste.

I like all beets, but some people detect a dirt taste, even in beets that are peeled. TorontoJo is a former Chowhound who finds all beets taste like dirt.

It’s a genetic thing, similar to how some people don’t like cilantro.

3 Likes

You’re kidding!

2 Likes

I was joking.
ETA:
I did have added to that last post.
I was playing around because there is a wiki icon and I wasn’t sure what it did. Perhaps it got edited out.
Actually now noticing the grin in arrow brackets is not showing up on this post either yet is there when I try to edit.
Strange very strange.

1 Like