Food Aversions

I have no real food aversions but I have a huge one to Gatorade. I’ve never actually tasted it and hope to never have to - the thought of it just makes me want to gag. I am sure it tastes like sweat.

Actually, I’m more cautious about trying unknown beverages than unknown foods. Not sure why.

I figured!!!

1 Like

I agree with you; Gatorade is nasty. Having to drink it was high on the list of reasons to be miserable during colonoscopy preparation.

So true! I had to get special permission to NOT use the powdered Gatorade that came with my prep materials. The thought of drinking the Gatorade made me gag before I even started!

I worked with someone who used to have breakfast at work and it was the same thing every day: scrambled eggs cooked in the microwave. The smell made me nauseous. It took me years before I could eat scrambled eggs cooked in a frypan on the stovetop which I normally find delicious.

I can’t eat onions raw since they upset my stomach.

I hate all forms of soft drinks. The overly sweet bubbly stuff has no attraction for me. (I don’t seem to have a problem with sparkling rose or champagne however :slight_smile: )

3 Likes

I have never seen a vegetarian who eats chicken

1 Like

tenor-5110687

2 Likes

Clearly you haven’t been served dishes containing chicken stock when you’ve specified that you don’t eat meat only to be told that chicken isn’t meat.

I don’t see an issue with using specific language. I do see an issue for mocking people for doing so.

Not even rubber chicken? :joy:

1 Like

Did that chicken stock story happened in a restaurant or in a private setting ?

Both.

I’ve also been given desserts containing gelatin in both restaurants and homes as many people don’t know that gelatin isn’t vegetarian.

1 Like

Good point. We are talking a panoply of refusals here. Food you dislike, food you prefer to avoid and food you are allergic to.
I remember a dinner in Paris where the woman next to us made a big deal of her needing a vegetarian meal. When her first plate arrived, she looked at it and across to her partner’s plate and, lamented, “Why, it’s just like yours except without the meat” Well, yes. And/but she never questioned about meat products in any of the sauces.

3 Likes

One of my jobs on the kill floor was washing the shit out of tripe. I can eat tripe, but it takes supreme concentration not to barf it back up.

1 Like

I’m a pretty picky eater, so I’ll try to distinguish “aversion” from “dislike.” I’m going to consider an aversion to be a visceral reaction of extreme disgust, such that it would be a big production if I tried to choke the food down.

Cilantro is a big one! I spent a year trying to learn to like it. Then I finally realized I was still suppressing my gag reflex with every bite, and I called off my quest. Even the smell of cilantro makes me retch. It tastes soapy, yes…but like EVIL soap. Soap that’s wrong. More like Lysol or some other cleaning product. And it tastes metallic, like a wet coin.

I’ve found that, when cilantro is ground very fine (like in a chutney) or exposed to a lot of direct heat, the compound that gives it that terrible flavor seems to evaporate. I think acid might also help mitigate it.

Eggs in any form, and in particular mayonnaise. Even imagining eating mayonnaise makes me gag. I couldn’t explain why. I used to buy pies from Whole Foods, and sometimes they tasted fine while other times they tasted rotten. Finally I discovered the difference: the “rotten” ones had an egg wash on top, and that’s what I was tasting.

Most cheese (and ANY cheese that’s melted). Ricotta in particular.

Finally: Soggy bread. That’s completely a texture thing.

Becoming a vegetarian ironically made me a much less picky eater, but I’m still pretty picky. Oddly enough, I like a lot of strong-flavored foods. Indian food is my favorite cuisine. Spice? Garlic? Heat? Bring it on.

4 Likes

I don’t think it’s strange when someone likes intensely flavoured foods but is adverse to milder foods.

I don’t like French Toast, Crème Brûlée, whipped cream, vanilla ice cream.

Love some Indian dishes but dislike many Indian restaurant curries . I think I don’t like mustard seeds that are in many Indian curries. Love most Thai restaurant curries. I dislike most Ethiopian restaurant food, after dozen tries over 30 years.

1 Like

Why would you want to?

1 Like

I wouldn’t want to. But when I’m served tripe, I try to be a good sport. I value hospitality and grace above my taste preferences.

6 Likes

I was wondering if you were doing it to be polite and completely understandable your mama raised you right.
I have a new philosophy, if I don’t love it then I wont eat it and there are very few things that I won’t eat.
I think that you need new friends ! :joy:

Much like the “soapy” taste from cilantro, the dirt taste of beets is due to geosmin, and is variably present in most people. The taste varies among varieties, and some cooking methods can eliminate it altogether. Much like the fact that raw onions make me nauseous in the smallest amounts, but I love caramelized onions

2 Likes

Raw onions upset my stomach and I now have Gaspacho with roasted garlic or vidalia onions those I can eat raw along with red onions.
I was joking about the scrubbing of beets a poor attempt at being funny.

2 Likes