Flushing Visit Mother's Day Weekend

We have again reserved a place in Flushing and have tickets to see Oliver at City Center on Mother’s Day. Here is our very loose itinerary:

Friday PM arrive, check in in Flushing and meander towards the reopened Golden Mall. Perhaps finally try oyster happy hour at The Attic. Or finding a Chinese Seafood spot.

Saturday Seafood Crawl in Jackson Heights

Sunday we have 2pm tickets for Oliver. We intend to go to a food court early and graze before heading into Manhattan. Dinner will probably be street food in Flushing.

Monday: late seafood lunch, probably at Sabry’s in Astoria. Amtrak to Baltimore.

We are open to anyone who wants to join any or all.

I’m still not a lock for Saturday (I still need to pin down my latest story for Culinary Backstreets), but I hope to join you on the crawl through Jackson Heights and into Corona.

For some reason it hadn’t occurred to me that the end of the crawl is not far from the Saturday-only Queens Night Market, which opens at 5:00. Have you been?

We have. Lines too long was our impression but we might give it another try.

Sorry, but we cant do it. Ginny’s birthday is Friday, with big dinner on Fri evening, then plans on Sat.
Next time.

See you next time!

unfortunately, looks like we’ll be out of town until sunday. However, we may not be able to use our place this weekend due to a plumbing leak, if we end up in nyc, will give a shout.

enjoy!

We are going to be around Monday as well.

Dean, I’m in for the Saturday crawl (and will reply further in that thread). Don’t expect much from the Golden Mall, which is still a work in progress. We’ll make up for it tomorrow!

See you at noon. Just the three of us.

Since it’s just us three, may we say 12:30? I want to have a look at a new restaurant a little to the west of our tour route; it opens at noon.

I’m also thinking of stopping in at 969 when I first arrive in Queens, to see if I can pick up an oyster onigarazu (or maybe one oyster and one softshell crab, if available) before the lunch rush.

have a great time!

12.30 is fine. Meet at 3 6 9?

Our eating has begun. Oysters and excellent cocktails at The Attic in flushing.

Now waiting for skewers at the cart at 39th and prince.

Sticks.

Eggplant

Enoki

Gizzards and hearts

$10 well spent

The cauliflower got et before its close up.

2 Likes

Thanks. We can just meet where planned, beneath the 74th-Roosevelt station, at Mandalay Cafe. I just plan to swing by 969 to see if I can pick up onigarazu quickly. If it’s already crowded, we can phone in our order and pick it up rather than all of us stand around.

Last stop on Friday… kung fu XLB. This let us walk off our starters.

Snow cabbage and edamame with pressed tofu

XLB

2 Likes

that snow cabbage dish is one of my favorites - and not hard to make, either after to pickle your greens.

This had some earthy notes that i have not had before. I have no idea what it was from.

Walking back to our Air BnB, we went here…

Kissenia Corridor Park.

1 Like

you chop and salt your greens, right, and ferment for a while. I usually freeze the greens because the recipe makes a big batch. I try to replicate a version I had from a shanghai vendor many years ago (in the basement of the WTC) it has ginger and rice wine. I love the texture contrast with the crunch beans and the fried bean curd. There are a lot of flavorings of the pressed beancurd, smoked for example. Maybe your dish included a different version? I have not made for a little while.