Flushing Visit Mother's Day Weekend

It was definitely in the greens. I am a big lactofermentation geek and i am clueless. With the entire range of chinese spices & herbs so vast, i would not know where to start.

Day 2 begins. We are victims of Dave C. I mean in his capable hands. Stop 1 is Mandalay. Tea leaf salad.

2 Likes

Esquina del camaron

2 Likes

Dave will have real photos later, I am sure. But you know you are on a food crawl when you have your own plasticware.

That last place IS literally a hole in the wall.

2 Likes

5 Likes

I wish I was there to take a picture of you taking a picture of dave taking a picture :slight_smile:

dean, how was the food?

2 Likes

Still going. Mariscos Submarino

Aguachile Negro

Tostada Sinalose

So good. Simple, delicious. Need to come back for more

The tea salad was pretty freaking good. First time for the burmese version for me.

The onigirazu were big and hefty and good.

The cockteles was ok. They add orange juice or sugar or both, but the sweetness was an odd addition.

Mariscos Submarino was stunning. The aguachile negro had chile morita for kick. The raw seafood was cut to order so it got better as it sat. By the second half, it had cured nicely and was really good. The tostada was like leche de tigre but with a bit of crema making it smooth and refreshing. With a beer, it came to $41 which felt like a major steal. Oddly, they have a great little bar with good choice. Mariscos and bourbon would be a new one. We are debating going back Monday.

We walked past an Equadorian spot called la Hueca which opens at 9am tomorrow. We will show up and hope we can get in. We came up mothers day because we could get decent seats for Oliver and we are Raul Esparza fans, not thinking about how that would affect our dining.

2 Likes

Really good dimsum at Asian Jewel in Flushing. You might note the lack of sunday night dinner. I nay never write these words again, but we were too full!

3 Likes

for us, if we’re heading to flushing, it won’t be for dim sum since asian jewel is not that much better than manhattan dim sum and we’d rather try something unique to flushing. i know you were staying in flushing so it makes sense but i thought there’s pretty good dim sum where you live?

We are in Baltimore which has lots of good Chinese and more every day. But dim sum is slim pickings. DC has decent at best.

We need to meet up in Jackson Heights for seafood when we come up in October.