Flattened By The Flu? Appetite Or No?

H made the vegetarian version of your soup last night, and everyone loved it! Just curious if you used black or green cardamom? Had both, but used the black. I’ve only just dabbled in Indian cooking, but felt it needed a little tweaking. Didn’t really have the energy to tinker with it, and also couldn’t put my finger on what I felt it needed. But, my palate is off again. Was thinking a little tamarind concentrate would be good perhaps. Your thoughts? Also, no cauliflower in the house, so we used broccoli instead. Thanks again, for typing the recipe up, and it will definitely be a repeat in this household. Kind of a coup too, since H thinks he hates Indian food.

3 Likes

Into the water I should go @Presunto! Impressive you haven’t had a cold/flu in 20 years!

That totally sucks about your multiple chemical allergies, especially with the amounts of scents in most everything.

I read a fascinating article in the Guardian about a community of people with this unfortunate affliction, living in Snowflake, Arizona, so as to control their environment more effectively. If interested, you can probably find the article in the archives.

Thanks for your well wishes.

2 Likes

Thanks @aussieshepsx2. Wishing you good health and strength to deal with the dual illnesses of your in laws, and the challenges ahead.

1 Like

Thanks @Barca! Think I need to be recovering in sunny Spain. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Thanks @RedJim. I too am hoping for a respite in February, especially since I’m going to San Diego in the middle of the month! If necessary I’ll drag the med supplies down there.

Thank you @GretchenS! Hoping you’ll stay well this winter and beyond.

1 Like

Oh no!!! Somehow I missed this second post.

This is awful and I hope you continue to get better and better.

Do have broth with ginger (or fresh ginger tea, one of my grandmother’s remedies) and do have lots of rice with butter and salt. And some fresh sliced oranges for vitamin C and luck. :crossed_fingers: Get well soon!

Thanks @naf! Have mostly been eating yogurt, and staying hydrated. BP is great, and think kidneys are happy too. Uh oh, but now I’m craving charcuterie lol.

Thanks @digga! Congee is one of my absolute favorite sick foods, but I eat it when well too. I like mine topped with French fried onions, fresh green onions, extra toasted sesame oil, sometimes Siracha and soy.

3 Likes

Funny about the meat when sick; think it will be a sign of health when I’m craving a rarish ribeye. Did have a small bowl of rice with butter last night. Tasted sooo good! Thanks for your well wishes @Happybaker.

4 Likes

I’ve heard Grand Marnier added to black tea called Tea with Sympathy. Don’t think there’s any GM in house, but I do have some brown sugar bourbon in the house for a possible hot toddy later on.

1 Like

Oh I’m glad!

Green cardamom always… black is occasional use only, in heavy meat dishes.

It should taste like a regular light (chicken) broth, with a light underlying spice note. For the vegetarian version you may want to increase the aromatics and tomato.

Lime juice is usually the missing element… and maybe some black pepper.

Btw this isn’t terribly indian… just the chicken soup my grandmother made, with a couple of whole spices thrown in :joy:

You may enjoy a Yemenite version I came across a few years ago - very similar, but a bit more heavily flavored - they add a good wallop of hawaij, their version of powdered garam masala.

And I forgot to mention turmeric in my original note - a pinch is good in sickness.

2 Likes

Ok, thanks. Wondered if it was the black cardamom, since I typically use green too. Also no cilantro in house, and I think we forgot the lime, despite having several. I’m sure it’s pure perfection with those missing items. Thanks again!

Son’s entire household is down. In and our of ER, one adult or kid for two days. One cherub spent the night here Tuesday, and I am pretty sure she shared the love. Cough and very sore throat all night. No fever yet . Opened a can of menudo for lunch, There is more to this soup than legend. I’m probably no better than before, but what a feeling of bodily wellbeing, Have the feeling this is my last almost human day for a while.

Dh is on kitchen duty. He doesn’t enjoy cooking but prefers his to mine when I’m sick.

1 Like

@Lambchop

Speedy recovery wishes …

Winter here and on coast from Girona down through Valencia, torrential rains and high tides.

The only region of “summery” type weather at this moment are the 7 Canary Islands.

You would probably find better weather in Dubai, The Islands in the Indian Ocean, Hawaiian Islands or The Caribbean.

1 Like

Didn’t think you could cook anything less than stellar even when sick - hard to believe. Hope you & yours all better soon.

I’ll take any of those warm places! Going to San Diego next month -can’t wait!

Take care and be well soon! Don’t know if it’s the same type of virus in here. Many has got this gastro / flu thing that invaded the whole family.

1 Like

How about polenta? Hot creamy comforting carbs.

2 Likes