Fissler Original Profi stockpot - a question !?!

Looking at this website, can someone please tell me the difference between these 4 types of stock pots, all from the same Fissler Original Profi collection ?

I’m looking at the 24 cm and the 28 cm.
Some are on sale, others not - but they look to be identical ?

Can the explanation be, that Fissler has changed something in the Original Profi line - for better or for worse perhaps ?!?

Link: https://www.fissler.com/us/products/product-list/pots/stock-pots/

Hi Claus,

Remember that Fissler introduced Pure Profi and then eliminated the older Original Profi line. It looks as if the Fissler USA website is clearing out the OLD Original Profi inventory with some substantial discounts. Here’s the new 28 cm stockpot from Amazon Germany for just under €200, which seems a fair price: amazon.de/Fissler-Original-Profi-Collection-Diameter-Stainless/dp/B09CGRTCBL/

I doubt you’d be disappointed by either design, in any case. So far I haven’t seen anything suggesting they’ve reduced the thickness of the conductive material in the base, which is the major performance consideration. Otherwise the new Profi line looks to have slightly more comfortable handles, better pouring rims, and slightly improved lids.

Cheers,
Andrew

1 Like

Thanks Andrew,

That explains it all.

Didn’t know Fissler actually made a change to the design, but I now see it.

Handle design looks better now and most likely will also give a better support when handling the pans.

1 Like

As Andrew says, there are now 2 types of Original Profi, one old and one new. The other two types are differentiated by the height, you can see that two of the four are being called ‘tall’. I believe my 28 cm Fissler tall stock pot is 24 cm tall, and my 24 cm one is 20cm tall. The normal stock pot is less tall and would be very useful for soups.

See also

https://www.fissler-shop.ru/files/bgimages/Fissler1718.pdf

1 Like

So there’s the original Original and a new Original with different features. What do you think subsequent Originals will be like? Were there any prior changes made to Original 'way back when? Let’s confuse things as much as possible!

‘The now even more original and improved Profi’. :slight_smile:

FWIW, the first iteration of Fissler’s OP has - I believe - been going strong for well over 20 years, unchanged.

Going so strong they stopped making it, introduced a new line, and still call it “original”.

The capactity is exactly the same for both the previous and new profi, with difference in handle design. The old handles are round while the new handle are more angular and flat. Overall the new profi has more shiny polish.

I also notice there is a small difference in the disc bottom, the old profi is almost straight all the way to disc bottom, the new profi is slightly slant down to the bottom.

Please see the 28cm roundeau as reference below:

1 Like

Interesting.

What advantages could there be to the new ‘curved’ disc bottom design ?

I doubt there is any benefit except for overall angular look for the newline. May be cut away a bit of aluminum for cost saving? Anyway this is just my own guess. Fissler disc is still very thick for even heating.

1 Like

Interesting thoughts you have.

You might be on to something.
Perhaps the old design will heat a tiny bit more evenly than the new design, since the old design might have 4-5% more disc bottom mass ?!?

I’m purely speculating here….

If you look closely at the old OP bases, they’re never completely vertical, except on the tiny 16 cm diameter saucepans. As they scale up the base diameters, the disc bases are beveled at steeper angles. In the 28 cm diameter, it’s about a 25-30% angle. Check your dutch oven, Claus, if you don’t believe me.

If anything I’m guessing the newer model uses more aluminum in its bases, since the sides appear to be vertical (flush with sidewalls) for about half the base thickness before beveling towards the bottom. My guess is that FIssler has discovered this design works best to avoid potential RoF issues on convective heat sources.

2 Likes

There is only one course of action Claus…Buy them both.

1 Like

I probably will buy the new versions of my Fissler OP at some stage next year.

Got to see and test for myself how the new handles feel and if the sandwich bottom indeed is thicker and less curved.

The good thing about owning many pans - to me - is that I like to test and experiment when I cook, so it’s good fun to test out the different pans in my little collection.

This cookware hobby is not that expensive compared to other hobbies I’ve had like golf, HIFI and computers.
My big brothers into wine - the money he pays for just a bottle or two wine can buy me a whole new 2.5 copper pan. The red wine will soon be gone in one day, the copper pan will outlive me.

2 Likes

Slides easier, less chance of catching on something.

1 Like

I got a question as well. What do you guys think of the Fissler rondeau 24cm 4.5L, side wall is ~11cm high. Is it a useful size for searing, braising, and stew ? The 28cm roaster might looks too big on my stove and it has 7cm side wall. Is it redundant to own this fissler24cm if I have a 24cm staub ECI 3.7L already ?

24cm

28cm

I have the 28 cm Original/Pure Profi Roaster with the high dome lid. The diameter of the underside of the base is 26.5 cm. There’s a youtube video (MQ Daily channel) of a review of the 28 cm Original Profi rondeau/saute and his measurement of the base underside was also 26.5 cm at the 6:20 mark in the video.

Therefore there must be a negligible difference (if any) in the amount of aluminum in the bases going from the original bevel style to the new one. When I was corresponding with someone from Fissler USA’s customer service, the cookstar bases are the same thickness irrespective of the collection, aluminum in the base still also goes right to the edge with no air gaps.

When I was lurking on Chowhound there were dedicated discussions comparing/contrasting the Original and Pure Profi collections, but I don’t remember much from it other than a general sense of disquiet (could be me projecting) and frustration/confusion over the collection name changes.

I like the handles on my Original/Pure Profi cookware, I also have the 6.7 qt and 9.6 qt stock pots. I never got to check out an Original Profi 2019 style piece, but Vollrath has some stockpots with a similar style loop handle that tapers to the body of the vessel and I disliked how it grabbed my pinky finger. The 90 degree inside corners of the new style gives plenty of clearance. It also settles nicely on the median of my double sink so I can comfortably hold the other handle while waiting for my pot to fill with water to get ready to boil something and use the interior markings as the pot is level.

Fissler (USA) also shows a new collection - Intensa. Also features the cookstar base. The plastic handles look really neat with the ability to prop up the lid (Original Profi 2019 could do that too I think) and secure it for draining liquid. The way the lid handle projects/arcs up would make it easier to set the lid down - bottom facing up on a surface without any hot metal touching your wrist or forearm - something I can’t stand with the flat/concave lids for the stock pots I have.

1 Like

Imho, for searing, braising and stews you are better off using the Staub (on gas). I’d only consider the Fissler if you need the taller sides.

In 24 cm I have a Le Creuset, a Fissler OP, and a Lagostina Lagofusion and I basically only use the Le Creuset.

On gas, imho, a very useful addition in 24 cm is a stainless steel lined copper saute pan. Its sidewalls are around 4-5 cm tall.

1 Like

Bingo. Maybe less–someone with a very good scale should weigh each and compare.

thanks for your advise , my staub is versatile for many applications within 3.5Qt, it is as tall as the fissler. Then I better off skip the 24cm fissler though the price is very temping. Cant really think of any fissler individual piece that might complement my currect collection. And I still have the much deeper 24cm lagofusion 6.7L pot for soup and liquid and stock.

For Copper cookware, it is really attractive, especialy a 24cm saute pan/ or 18 to 20cm saucepan. But i am not ready to step into copper as i dont have need to ultra responsive pan and pot at the moment.