Fish Sandwiches

Talking about adding a dollop of Tzatziki on Filet-o-Fish on this thread made me think about making fried fish sandwiches at home.

3 Likes

I’ve been using this recipe with good results:

3 Likes

Fish fingers are a relatively pub sandwich in the UK. The more upmarket pubs will make from scratch but most buy in the frozen rectangular sort. Both need tartare sauce.

By co-incidence, Mrs H and I have been discussing a proposal that we need to up our lunch game at home. Ham sandwiches and the like are just getting boring. So, this morning during the week’s supermarket run, we bought a packet of Birds Eye fish fingers. It’s a sign of the times - Birdeye always used to be the best fish fingers and always used cod. That’s no more and this pack is now pollock. Nothing wrong with pollock as such, so should be OK for lunch.

1 Like

I hope you can find some Cod Fish Fingers in the future. Our main brand, High Liner, and its competition, here in Canada , usually have several types of breaded or battered frozen fish available, including Pollock, Cod, Haddock and sometimes Halibut.

Pollock is okay, of course.

I’ve taken prompt & decisive action. Ordered two secondhand sandwich “cookbooks” through AbeBooks. Now, I need to research non-sandwich lunch ideas.

3 Likes

Usually reside in my freezer. My wee air fryer and voila… I’m in heaven. Next time tzatziki. I promise. I do love tartare sauce, too.

1 Like

why not both?

2 Likes

And ketchup as well.

1 Like

Curry ketchup.

3 Likes

Now there’s a proposal.

1 Like

Def trying these rec’s.

Highly recommend malt vinegar and slaw.

Of course just fresh lemon juice is my std. go to.

2 Likes

Nah. Leave the malt vinegar for the side order of chips, where it belongs. That’s Brit chips, not Yank chips, of course.

My favorites are either remoulade or tartar sauce spiked with hot sauce, such as Tabasco. I go for the zing.

Ha! My bottle of malt vinegar will not stand down, Sir! :wink:

4 Likes

I stand with you and your bottle in that decision. Sarsons - the cry of freedom.

2 Likes

Canadian chips, too. White vinegar and malt vinegar are offered at some places.

On different halves, maybe.

1 Like

I’ve used the ATK way thrice now to great results. I did whole walleye fillets, and those who consumed did so very quietly, until done.

2 Likes

I have long bemoaned the fact that fish sandwiches are pretty rare in The UK. As @Harters points out there is the fish finger sandwich, and much as I love it, it’s not quite the same.

I have recently moved to the coast from London ( still commute 2 days a week). My new local fishmonger moved to a new larger premises this week. They now have a food stall and one of their dishes is fried fish in a bun. I tried it on Tuesday. A beautifully fried wild sea bass fillet ( didn’t taste farmed and anyway they don’t sell it) in a brioche bun. They kept it in realm of traditional fish and chips with a minted pea puree and their tartate sauce. Very delicious.

6 Likes

I could see why it wouldn’t fly as high in the UK, the fish and chips are so good, who needs bread?

2 Likes