Financiers - ideas for desserts?

I haven’t done much GF baking at all but GF pastries made with almond flour seem to be the most tasty. Sometimes rice flour makes stuff crispy or an odd texture.

1 Like

Nice! Those look fabulous!

5 years later !

Can you say more about this or point me in the right direction? Is it because there is no leavening, or something else? How many days?

I’m using this recipe today.

I buttered the pan as directed, but they are sticking in the pan, and breaking when I try to get them out. Maybe it will be better when fully cooled? I thought someone wrote to loosen them early.

That thread was started by Suvir Saran in 2002, and David Lebovitz is on there asking questions!

Someone says don’t use butter in the pan because it contains water, and water makes things stick, and instead, use spray. Any thoughts?

I make them in mini-muffin pans, and use paper liners. I use the Lebovitz recipe.

1 Like

ATK or Cook’s Country had a segment on some variations.

1 Like

I like them topped with vanilla ice cream.

Here’s an awful photo of an awfully delicious persimmon financier from Japan:

DSC06911

p.s. the variety of persimmon is dojo hachiya.

1 Like

Thanks! Let’s see if this works!

1 Like

I use these for my cheesecake and cornbread (and of course muffins). They never crack and are a more consistent cook. Never going back to the old way.

Stoopid paywall.

Shoot! The text urged me to share the recipe, so I was thinking it might be one of those “gift” options.

1 Like

Financiers are used for tarts, too. Eric Kayser has a recipe for matcha financier tart with raspberries and I remember it being one of the first times I made financiers.

Truthfully I never liked financiers until I started adding sufficient salt to them, as most even when they call for it call for a pinch, and they taste sweet and flat and a bit eggy to me (including the Kayser recipe). Once I used 1.5-2% salt they became something I actually wanted to eat.

3 Likes

OMG I want all of them.
And I’ve been happy eating them plain all these years!

1 Like

I don’t enjoy preparing and eating sweets much ( outside of seasonal stone fruit treats), but husband often asks for home baked sweets, and some of this seems to work for both of us!

1 Like

I didn’t need the recipe (I think I have in the cookbook, but it is a shame they don’t put the disclaimer up front. Designed to draw you in…

Does anyone know if I can use this pistachio “powder”? I believe the label translates to pistachio powder, raw.

For pistachio flour in a recipe for pistachio financiers? I’m thinking of trying this recipe;

Or