What are you baking? November 2023

I use David Leibovitz’s recipe for that.

2 Likes

I get it.
I also found that a simple Whipped Crème Fraîche/Sweet Cream Mixture works well in Roll Cakes (slightly stabilized with Gelatin if being held for long).

1 Like

Thank you!

The one that uses almond flour? Can I just sub pistachio powder for all of the almond flour?

1 Like

Yes. Instead of the almond flour I use the whole weight in pistachios and blitz them in the fp. Admittedly I don’t get as fine a grind as purchased pistachio flour. I use paper liners in the mini-muffin tins.

While on the subject of pistachios, I really enjoy the recipe below for pistachio shortbread. But, I take the lazy way out: instead of rolling the dough, chilling it, then cutting it with a cookie cutter, I form it into two logs, chill them, then cut into disks before baking.
https://archive.seattletimes.com/archive/?date=19921202&slug=1527786

3 Likes

What color do these cookies have when baked?

Dough is in the fridge, which I’ve read doesn’t hurt, and may even help.

It seemed a bit moist,

but maybe one or both flours absorb moisture while the dough rests. Now I’m wondering if pistachio flour uses raw or cooked nuts.
Apparently that label translates to
“PISTACHIO POWDER, RAW Pistacia vera”
Oops! We shall see what happens!

I was making sandwich bread with some yogurt that needed using and the power went out while it was in the oven. I decided to wait until it was due to finish baking and not open the oven and thankfully when I pulled the pan out and took off the lid, I found my guess that it had baked enough before the power went out was correct.

Also baked some coconut buns.

21 Likes

Perfect texture on the bread, but I’ll admit that I don’t know what “coconut buns” are.

1 Like

Bit of a baking spree yesterday that was a near disaster (I tried a new blog, and even though the proportions seemed off when I mixed the doughs, I decided to follow instructions for the first time in never). Going back to my already adapted mini versions of recipes that work instead of getting lured by mini recipes.

Mini bagels (why did I do onion when I knew they would burn?) – I had to add more water and knead it in halfway through the process, her proportions and proving times were wither really off or it’s really dry and extra cold in here. I did manage to salvage the final product, but just barely, because her boiling and baking times were also off. (And I’ve MADE bagels several times – why did I do this to myself?)

Mini focaccia – splatted out in the oven. The dough did not fill out the size of pan she called for. (Again, not like I haven’t made mini and really mini focaccia before… why…)

I’ve got some bread dough going in the fridge. NOT her recipe after all that.

15 Likes

Just took some pumpkin streusel bread out of the oven. Because 1 AM is a perfect time to bake.

17 Likes

It’s a version of Cantonese cocktail buns. Soft, fluffy dough filled with a sweet coconut filling that’s kind of like frangipane but with coconut instead of almond meal/flour.

5 Likes

Post deleted by author

Here’s a picture of some I made a year ago. Not good-looking, but they taste great. These I shipped to my niece. They are very fragile.

9 Likes

Double chocolate banana cakelets by way of Baking Mischief and Smitten Kitchen. The only banana bread I bake as I’m not a fan of banana bread unadulterated :joy:! These are topped with Amarena cherries and chocolate flakes, the full size loaf is also delicious.

9 Likes

I was afraid of that. Pistachio and shortbread are two of my fave things and I am always looking to combine them.

I plan to make them with butter that has a higher fat content, one of these days.

1 Like

IMG_3661
IMG_3663

Disappointed in this recipe for pumpkin streusel bread. I never make recipes by this kind of internet personality, and I broke my own rule, and I paid for it. I actually made a double batch, so I paid for it twice.

Bland and unremarkable.

3 Likes

My god that’s a lot of cinnamon. Aya Caliva has a pumpkin streusel loaf and I love her recipes:

And Claire Saffitz did an episode with Yossy Arefi where they made pumpkin loaf and it looks pretty good.

Otherwise I typically like Alice Medrich’s unconventional pumpkin loaf with buckwheat flour and cranberries, reducing the sugar a bit.

Or Stella Parks’ pumpkin muffins made with sour cream rather than yogurt and with the cinnamon cut in half (the cinnamon amount is insane).

3 Likes

i bought v fancy cinnamon and can’t even taste it. i might need to re-evaluate the source.

2 Likes

You might want to make Alison Roman’s pistachio shortbread.

I made a batch and it was delicious.

3 Likes