What are you baking? November 2023

Like this? https://hurstbeans.com/recipes/italian-bean-soup

2 Likes

OT, but that Hurst recipe is great. I’ve made it several times and we both like it a lot.

1 Like

Lucky you. I really wanted to make a pistachio roll cake, but I didn’t have enough paste for it and this cake, plus all the ground pistachios that coat the outside. I have a decent amount of pistachio recipes if you are looking for something to do with them.

1 Like

(post deleted by author)

Does your bread machine have a dough setting? You could use that and the original recipe, just place in pans for final bake. Or as another poster here did, experiment with removing the paddle just before 2nd rise and let the machine do the baking too. Edited to add this link to the start of @MunchkinRedux posts over on the Bread Machine discussions about removing the paddle. Bread Machine Recipe Exchange - #19 by MunchkinRedux

4 Likes

Thank you! I think I will finally try to make some pistachio financiers first.

May be a Coconut Crème Diplomat?
I used Coconut Milk in the Crème Pat and Whipped Cream for a Bûche de Noël made with RLB’s Chocolate Cloud Roll to great results. Customer wanted the “Mounds Bar” Flavor. Any who I think it would would work great for you.

3 Likes

I like crème diplomat a lot, but I love this filling except for the prominence of cream cheese , and honestly a day later I even liked the cream cheese more than I did initially (the sugar I added was definitely needed), so I want to keep it with the ratios tweaked. It’s also much simpler to make than crème diplomat (which I enjoy making, but I appreciate a more streamlined filling for rolls).

1 Like

Strawberry, raspberry, and vanilla Swiss roll. Filled with a strawberry and raspberry compote and mascarpone whipped cream. I finally put one in one of these boxes I bought a long time ago with the intention to make buche de Noel cakes.

18 Likes

I use David Leibovitz’s recipe for that.

2 Likes

I get it.
I also found that a simple Whipped Crème Fraîche/Sweet Cream Mixture works well in Roll Cakes (slightly stabilized with Gelatin if being held for long).

1 Like

Thank you!

The one that uses almond flour? Can I just sub pistachio powder for all of the almond flour?

1 Like

Yes. Instead of the almond flour I use the whole weight in pistachios and blitz them in the fp. Admittedly I don’t get as fine a grind as purchased pistachio flour. I use paper liners in the mini-muffin tins.

While on the subject of pistachios, I really enjoy the recipe below for pistachio shortbread. But, I take the lazy way out: instead of rolling the dough, chilling it, then cutting it with a cookie cutter, I form it into two logs, chill them, then cut into disks before baking.
https://archive.seattletimes.com/archive/?date=19921202&slug=1527786

3 Likes

What color do these cookies have when baked?

Dough is in the fridge, which I’ve read doesn’t hurt, and may even help.

It seemed a bit moist,

but maybe one or both flours absorb moisture while the dough rests. Now I’m wondering if pistachio flour uses raw or cooked nuts.
Apparently that label translates to
“PISTACHIO POWDER, RAW Pistacia vera”
Oops! We shall see what happens!

I was making sandwich bread with some yogurt that needed using and the power went out while it was in the oven. I decided to wait until it was due to finish baking and not open the oven and thankfully when I pulled the pan out and took off the lid, I found my guess that it had baked enough before the power went out was correct.

Also baked some coconut buns.

21 Likes

Perfect texture on the bread, but I’ll admit that I don’t know what “coconut buns” are.

1 Like

Bit of a baking spree yesterday that was a near disaster (I tried a new blog, and even though the proportions seemed off when I mixed the doughs, I decided to follow instructions for the first time in never). Going back to my already adapted mini versions of recipes that work instead of getting lured by mini recipes.

Mini bagels (why did I do onion when I knew they would burn?) – I had to add more water and knead it in halfway through the process, her proportions and proving times were wither really off or it’s really dry and extra cold in here. I did manage to salvage the final product, but just barely, because her boiling and baking times were also off. (And I’ve MADE bagels several times – why did I do this to myself?)

Mini focaccia – splatted out in the oven. The dough did not fill out the size of pan she called for. (Again, not like I haven’t made mini and really mini focaccia before… why…)

I’ve got some bread dough going in the fridge. NOT her recipe after all that.

15 Likes

Just took some pumpkin streusel bread out of the oven. Because 1 AM is a perfect time to bake.

17 Likes

It’s a version of Cantonese cocktail buns. Soft, fluffy dough filled with a sweet coconut filling that’s kind of like frangipane but with coconut instead of almond meal/flour.

5 Likes