Fennel: Recipe Ideas ?

BBC,

Thank you very much for the Papillote Provençal Cod in fennel tomato broth récipe.

This is sublime !

And the braising of fennel too …

Naf,

Aubergines too !! Ha Ha !!

The bottom of an aubergine or eggplant has a dot or a circle … The tiny dot indicates it is male and larger circular or oval indent is a female !!

I am uncertain if there are other vegetables which have similiar means of distinguishing the gender of a vegetable or even a fruit !!

Thanks for the post !!!

1 Like

Paprika Boy,

Wow … Looks Delicious …

Thanks.

That is so interesting. I never knew there were male and female fennels. I guess it makes sense.

1 Like

I also did not know zucchini had sizes either. The female zucchini has a flower, the male does not have.

1 Like

I had never used fennel until a couple years ago for wild boar ragu
Unfortunately, they are kind of scarce as well as expensive, The few that I can find are often bruised.
Here is a recipe from D’Artagnan for Italian Wild Boar

2 Likes

ccj,

Thank you for the recipe … Looks phenomenal …
I shall pass this recipe on to my parents and inlaws.

Hunting season for wild boar in Lérida, at the foothills of The Pyrenées starts in late October - November depending on climate factors. My dad and my grandfather and father in law bring home a wild boar and prepare an amazing Spanish stew with it. So tender …

If you ever have a chance to have boar sausage or boar salume (salami), do so … Quite exceptional.

Fantastic. The only wild boar that I see for sale in the UK is actually farmed “wild boar”. The animal became extinct here in the 17th century, although apparently there has been some reintroduction into the wild and the population is now estimated to be several hundred strong. I’d love to taste proper wild boar. The new population was apparently started by escapees from farms, or animals stolen by animal rights activists who then released them.

1 Like

I love wild boar as well as duck saucisson, specifically those from D’Artagnan.
The eat is tender, leaner and more intense than pork.
Unfortunately, since October 2018, I developed alpha gal syndrome secondary to the bite from lone star tick, causing me to have hypersensitivity to products from four legged animals with hoofs. ( pig, boar, lamb, rabbit, cow, venison etc).
Still get the wild boar salami and sausage for my son when available, and I do enjoy duck salami from D’artagnan.

1 Like

ccj,

Sorry to hear about your dilema … I think you have a tiny typing error –

Rabbits do not have hooves, they have paws … I believe you are stating that you no long eat meat or hoofed game.

Yes, we do not eat too much meat, however, we do like boar salami and boar sausage during the autumn …

Best wishes. Have a lovely summer.

John,

To Hunt anywhere in Cataluna, one must have a certified permit from the Ministry Federacio Catalana de Caça ( The Federation of Cataluna Hunting Ministry) and the same goes for all of The Spanish Autonomous Communities in the Country.

There are 4 controlled hunting zones in Lleida or Lérida, and 4 game reserves. They are divided by the type of hunting: Boar, Feathered, Hoofed etcetra. All are wild.

There is also a Fishing Certification as well. My dad and grand fathers and married twin sons
also go fishing and are licensed by the Girona Federation of Fishing and Agriculture.

Nice end of summer wishes.

Naf,

Venice:

I have had a few fennel dishes in the Renaissance jewel, the City of Venezia.

Harry´s Bar does an amazing cream of fennel soup served with an array of toasted breads …

Also I have had a dish called Seppie Aromatizzate al Finocchio: Which is fennel, Evoo, garlic, swigs of Rosemary, cognac, local White wine from Veneto, cream, almonds and a hint of garlic. It was quite sublime and subtle … Very pleasant …

Enjoy your weekend just ahead. Ciao.

1 Like

A few years ago, I planted some zucchini, so I know about this one. There are BOTH male and female flowers in the same plant, male flower fertilizes the the female flower and only female bear the “fruit”.

2 Likes

That’s also how cucumbers work. Except it’s bees doing the fertilizing (or me, with an eyeliner brush) , 'cause flowers aren’t very mobile.

3 Likes

Oh, that sounds perfect, and I have everything but the fennel. Thanks for the link!

2 Likes

:sweat_smile: Only I was so dumb to have eaten all the male flowers instantly before doing any fertilisation!

2 Likes

Whoops! Next time, make like a lady praying mantis and take care of the breeding before you take care of the feeding.

6 Likes

Great topic! And welcome, @Barca!
Bookmarking all the great ideas above.

My favorite uses are raw:

• shaved for a salad (lemon juice, arugula, citrus is nice in season)
  • roasted (I like slices better than wedges for some reason - they cook more evenly, though they’re less pretty)
  • gratin (not frequent, but delicious)
  • minced and used with other aromatics (I used the last of a bulb I’d minced with onion & frozen in broccoli soup yesterday, have used in sauces before, lovely in bolognese, and so on).
  • the trimmings I save for stock
1 Like

Thanks for the welcome …

Yes, I like with rucola or rocket very much ( you have called it " arugula " ) …

I am travelling, however, I had a fennel salad today which was very delighting with orange slices and Green scallion and radishes … Lovely …

The fronds ( little dill looking herbal growth on the stalks ) is lovely … I use in my salads too…

Have a lovely weekend.

1 Like

Sliced thin and cooked down with light cream, good butter and caraway seeds. Serve over steak.

1 Like