Feedback on stainless sinks and other kitchen remodel choices

Assuming you are still on good terms with your contractor, you should see what would be involved with fixing some of these regrets. Part of why he does this work is the satisfaction of fixing things and getting them right (at least, that is a big part of why I still do it, though I mainly changed careers and only do very small interesting jobs). He would have to charge you something, but maybe could give you a good price if you find him in problem-solving mode. The best boss I had in the remodeling biz would follow up jobs a month/six months/a year later to see what techniques and designs and products really worked and what didnā€™t. If there were problems we could fix, we did, and at minimal cost. Itā€™s worth a try and it sounds like fixing the trash bin, for instance, would make you smile a bit every time you used the improved setup.

Great reply , Thanks . I can see you had some design issues . 24" door . extra small . No Bueno . The niche . I make mine 9 1/2 x 15 finished . It has a ledge 3" from the bottom for soap . I like to install Corian for tub and shower surrounds . A hamper in the vanity ??? As far as the wainscoting If I was asked to put some up I would run the cap to the top of the vanity just below the counter top . I like to layout the whole bathroom on the subfloor before starting in pencil . You can also mock up the niche size on the rough frame to look at . Thanks for the info .

Well, itā€™s a lesson and itā€™s a very beautiful bathroom in a Tudor home with a clean, modern, airy feel using some period style hex and subway tile with marble and custom wall treatments. I am very happy with it and my contractor might chew his arm off, but has the well earned rep of wanting to make it right for the customer no matter what. I have so much room, storage, light and convenience. No one is going to walk away from buying my house because of a few flaws not readily apparent on sight. Itā€™s going to make my house a much easier sale. And Iā€™d rather drill hot screws into my eyeballs than have anything torn out or redone up here again!

Contractor stayed in touch and even asked me for a customer testimonial for a presentation at a trade meeting. I was glad to do it for him. I just donā€™t want to do anything over. He knows Iā€™m very picky but also very fair and has asked me for my opinion of the painter we used (not his) and the cabinet maker, since he can always use more subs.

Iā€™m using the lessons I learned up here to plan my kitchen and downstairs hall bath with an even keener eye on detail and going through the motions of a day in it.

The vanity was done by my own custom cabinet maker, whoā€™s made my whole new kitchen to my specs. He would redo it, as I said, But I have built enough storage into it that it just isnā€™t that big a deal. A lot of the cleaning supplies get carried around by my house cleaner in a caddy kept in the basement, and I have a hall closet up here I can use if I want to. The next owner may want to use it as a hamper or they can change it. I wanted all counter and one sink; the next owner can easily customize to two sinks because I put three drawers on either end, just a new counter and some plumbing and room to add a new drawer in the middle, two top drawer just decorative or short.

I love this bathroom, I just focus on details a lot, and this taught me to pause any time someone makes a recco.

I actually used a 24" door in my last house, there was a problem, canā€™t recall what, but it was fine. He may have wanted 26" I was stubborn and regret it now.

I need bigger niches. I like everything recessed, no products outside and we have a lot. I totally agree about the 3 inch section of the niche.

I donā€™t like Corian; I think it had its day in the 90s. Doesnā€™t age well to my eye. I prefer natural stone, tile.

Itā€™s not actually a hamper; he made a small section up front for a waste basket and I have storage behind it. If it were that big a deal, Iā€™d have made him change it, and itā€™s a mild annnoyance now. I may ask him, since heā€™s done my kitchen, has to do a radiator enclosure for my LR and build the bathroom vanity and mirror for downstairs. This time Iā€™ll install the light high enough for a grown man to see his head in the mirror.

If youā€™re on facebook you can see my vanity, mirror and recessed wall cabinet online, the day it was installed. https://www.facebook.com/WoodMagic694/photos/ms.c.eJwzMzQ3sTQzNTE0M7Uwt7DUM4PwzS2MjUxNTI0AZ0cGbw~-~-.bps.a.617496521658791.1073741848.563283017080142/617496541658789/?type=3&theater

I just want to add that a custom kitchen IMneverHO is just plain silly unless you want to just throw your money around. Weā€™ve built two Ikea kitchens with the oldest one being ten years old and still works like brand new. And they have great software for design. Canā€™t recommend it highly enough. My two cents.

Looked at the pics . I do my installs a little different . Iā€™ll texture , or smooth wall . and then paint the walls before the cabinet install . Touch up after . I like your vanity

Fortunately, we had no mess, no dings, no spills. But I can see how that makes sense.

I see one thing no one has addressed much, drainage. Ours is a big Kraus double-bowl rectangle undermount that is pretty much dead flat on bottom. The dude and our granite installer mounted it, placing a few pennies (single layer) under the back rim. This allows enough elevation so it does drain well.

BTW, after living with it for 2 years, the best cleaner Iā€™ve found for it is liquid BKF. Iā€™m sure there are others, but I tried SoftScrub and several powders (including BKF), but they were so-so, especially the powders, as they donā€™t leave it bright enough.

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestion. Mine is a rear drain, so I guess Iā€™d have to ask the stone people to tilt it back. Iā€™ve read about the poor drainage, too, and folks complaining about having to sponge or otherwise wipe it dry. I do that a lot anyway, when Iā€™m done working at it and at the end of the day now. But the penny idea is really a great tip!

I read about liquid BKF and have two bottles that arrived with the sink grid I ordered. :slight_smile:

Hi, re: the issue of custom kitchens, please keep in mind that not every topic is to everyoneā€™s taste and there are discussions of various topics here for everyone. Please do what you can to make this a great forum to share knowledge, skills and interests. Thanks!

1 Like

I just think that ā€œcustom is the only way to goā€ is a bit strong. This thread has relevance for other than custom also.

I have spent more time and aggravation on sink shopping, getting a disappointing Blanco and finding that Francke does not make the size and depth configuration I wantā€¦ sending back the Blanco with scratches and no insulation and swapping for Kohler Undertone Preserve. Full insulation over the entire bottom, more rounded and deeper than I wanted. May still buy online from amazon due to excellent returns, though will ask questions first. Depends on what price my plumber can get.

On the bright side, the Granada Cluny black and white cement tile for the bathroom and back entry is gorgeous. Too much pattern and contrast for a whole kitchen, but I had to have it somewhere.

1 Like

OTOH, I just called Kohler to find out about the nickel/chrome content of the sink and about the makeup of the preserve non scratch finish. Turns out the finish is hexavalent chromium. The stuff from the Erin Brockovich story.

Okay, enough talk of NotJR spanking that perv, Tom34, itā€™s all about ME, after all. :wink:

Iā€™m a week away from my idea of a special place in hell; a home with no kitchen. I will have the old fridge in my LR, a one burner induction cooktop I just ordered for quick eggs or making hot water, and my Weber gas grill outside. either will use the old microwave above my stove or get a small one for the duration, then donate it somewhere. I will bring my coffee pot and coffee making supplies up to my office for a.m. convenience when work is going on and iā€™m not ready to greet anyone.

I plan to make and freeze a low carb lasagna and freeze portions, and roast up a lot of Walkerswood spicy jerk marinated chicken (I could eat this 365 and be happy) and have some low carb frozen egg sandwich in the freezer for husbandā€™s work and early golf days. I picked up a lot of disposable dishes, too.

I have lived through major remodels, with my kitchen intact. I have camped out, too. But Iā€™m older and less interested in roughing it. Any and all suggestions for making this as pleasant as possible will be gratefully accepted. Last remodel, we shared a small guest room downstairs with two cats, this time weā€™ll be sharing two bigger bedrooms and a bathroom with them. What could go wrong with that?

Right now, Iā€™m riding on a wave of apprehension mixed with excited anticipation. I just keep looking at the plans and my inspiration pics and reminding myself it will be worth it in the end.

So survival tips from the wise HOs whoā€™ve been there, done that solicited.

1 Like

I covered my dining table with multiple layers of towels and then a fireproof mat (small). I had a two burner 'hot plate, MW, fridge, etc. For me far and away the biggest PITA was washing dishes in the bathtub. So Iā€™d recommend as much disposable as possible and as little ā€˜realā€™ cooking.

1 Like

No helpful hints, but just a wish of good luck!

2 Likes

I know you are looking for tips, Stonesoup, but please keep your posts coming! Very helpful to me as I have never (wanted) to live thru a remodeling but the time for avoiding it was well past. Like you we have the grill (with a side burner) but think now I need an induction burner inside - as long as the electrics will allow it.

Perhaps OP can start another thread upon the ins and outs, doā€™s and donā€™tā€™s of the remodel?

Iā€™m glad to pave the way for you, ElsieB, with other commenters. I donā€™t have a side burner on my Weber; I never used the one on my old grill and I like having two side tables on the grill, instead. But I will have a single burner induction cooktop inside, along with a microwave and my InstantPot, too.

We just got home from buying thick plastic for taped on doorways and zippers for them to keep from having to roll up every rug and cover ever piece of furniture on the first floor. Will put those up the day before demo.

Iā€™m having a house guest show up for Easter weekend the day demo starts! He lived here for 6 mos last year, until elections were over. He will have a half bath downstairs to use at night, and our master bath, for showers since weā€™re gutting the hall bath, Iā€™m looking forward to it; heā€™s 24 and is very bright, lots of fun and we can use the distraction.

My best advice to anyone who dreads remodels the way I do is to specify tightly applied and maintaind thick plastic barriers with zippers and to seal up everything that might be subject to dust (thereā€™s always dust!) with plastic sheeting and tape. We have 12 built in drawers in our bedroom eaves and I took what we needed and tightly sealed up the drawer fronts with plastic and painterā€™s tape. Did the same with a long storage closet in our eaves upstairs, along with a wall of bookshelves up there. Saves so much dust and clean up and respiratory gunk later. Iā€™m sealing up my basement entrance this time, too. So much dust settled there last time, but we were doing work down there so didnā€™t seal it. It took a long time to clean up so many things stored on shelving down there. Better to prevent all you can.

I feel your (anticipated) pain, StoneSoup. I lived through a major kitchen/dining room/ family room reno two winters ago that had my entire first floor, except the living room and laundry room, unusable. There was only one small, accessible space in the living room, and thatā€™s where the fridge was. That was the winter of endless snowstorms and power outages, and, to make things worse, my husband was laid off from his job three days before construction began, so we were forced to share cramped spaces 24/7. We coped by doing the following: We set up a ā€œbreakfast area/living areaā€ in a guest bedroom. We had a folding table with a coffee maker and an induction burner, and borrowed a small, dorm-size fridge that fit under the table. I stocked up on paper plates and disposable utensils, and kept a laundry basket nearby for toting dishes, pots, etc. downstairs for washing in the laundry room sink. We had a similar set-up in our partially-finished basement. That became our dinner space because there was more room for prep and clutter there. The biggest obstacle was not having running water down there. But we set up the microwave as well as another single burner. Oh, I found the bags of microwaveable veggies really helpful ā€“ the ones they sell in the produce department, fresh, not frozen, where you pop the whole bag in the microwave.

I donā€™t envy you, but rest assured, the end result will be worth it.

1 Like