Feedback on stainless sinks and other kitchen remodel choices

It seems to me that when I really poked around, some of the sinks folks complained about corrosion with did not display their chrome content, but when I dug, they were 18/8, though I can’t recall which after weeks of obsessive searching and indecision.

Okay, so my bad every other sink I looked at had sound deadening pads/insulation and this one does not. Did I make a big effing mistake?

Not to late to take it back . If you think you are not going to be happy with it . You will live with it forever .

1 Like

well. that depends on how high from which you drop your dishes/pots/pans into the sink and whether or not that wakes you in the other room.

sound deadening is a nice touch. for how many minutes per day are you banging your sink?

Okay, so it has small ones, on the sides and around the drain. But it’s from China, not Germany and I don’t trust the content of the steel nor the condition of the product. The underside is as badly scratched and gouged as you can imagine, very rough scratches and sloppy looking corner welds and spotting all over the outside and bottom. This reminds me of the condition of my pricey Visual Comfort sconces from China. We kept ordering replacements for so long that it came down to the sales manager and i picking the two least scratched and botched ones and using a Sharpie to make them presentable.

I am so over products I’m going to live wih a long time from China. I sent pics to the seller and will accept only a replacement from Germany or full refund. If it were not Chinese, I’d negotiate a big discount and keep it, since the bowl looks fine unused. It was also an opened package, and has a another buyer’s name on it.

I spend a ridiculous amount of time at my sink; I only buy fresh veg uncut that I clean and prep daily, and I cook a lot.

I don’t trust Chinese stainless to BE stainless.

1 Like

And…

The seller’s site lists the weight of the sink as 30 lbs.

The one delivered to me weighs 14.4 lbs on an extremely accurate scale. I mean, I hate that effing scale.

Sorry Stone , about the sink . Internet purchase ?

1 Like

Yes, from a subsidiary of a company that is an authorized dealer. This must be the arm that sells damaged goods and returns and I got a piece that is both. She tried to tell me Blanco told her scratches are normal and the weight is 30 lbs packaged. I sent her a pic of the Blanco shipping label with 17lbs listed as the packed total weight.

I did learn from calling Blanco directly that all of their Quatrus are made in a Blanco supervised Chinese factory."
I was also told that such an appearance or deep scratches are not normal condition of their sinks.

The site I purchased from no longer lists Quatrus in their search tool at all. I think they run out of stock of seconds and crappy returns and take them down.

I warned you to stay away from internet purchases . Returns are a hassle . Scratches are normal . No way . Now you know . :sob:

Glad to give you the rewarding opportunity to say “I toldjaso.” :slight_smile: I have shopped mostly on the internet for many years, and have had a few disappointments and this was one. I always make sure of return policies beforehand and thought I’d done enough due diligence this time but was disappointed. Shipping is no problem, I just pack things back and have the seller send someone to pick up bulky ones, the rest I turn around at UPS same or next day.

This one didn’t work out, but I’ve saved thousands of dollars with satisfactory purchases online over the years, including my 2014 remodel.

1 Like

I’m sure your going to love your new kitchen . It’s going to be awesome .

Thanks, I know it will. But first it’s going to be a noisy site full of rubble!

Make them clean up everyday . I hate rubble on my jobsites , set up dust barriers in your home . Most customers see the dirt in their house first before looking at the work . You’ll be much happier with a immaculate jobsite . :smile:

You have no idea how tightly I make them seal up for me. I lived dust free downstairs last year during 3 mos of construction adding dormers and updating a master bath, sill plate repair. Right now, my breath and life depends on it even more.

Double taped on zipper doors and big air handlers carry everything out. These two spaces are so isolated by the barriers to the basement and rest of the house overnight, I’m not as concerned about cleanup but the spaces are both so small they will have to just to work. I’m more concerned that any apparent gaps of 1/4" or larger that might pop up be stuff with steel wool so no furry critters come in.

1 Like

I am just a bit behind you, StoneSoup. Have been gradually emptying out the packed pantry and kitchen and today we are meeting with some GCs. I am very lucky bc my dear sister is an ID and has been such a huge help!
She knows me well in the kitchen and therefore I am getting a very personalized design plan. I am horrified to be without a kitchen (don’t really like a lot of restaurant food) and hope there are no big, unexpected delays but know there prob will be as the house is old. This thread has been very helpful to me. There are so many considerations and decisions it makes my head spin!

Elsie, you are right behind me, my kitchen cabinets are almost empty, and my demo date March 26th.

I worked with a cabinet maker and created the perfect individualized plan for my kitchen. He wasn’t any help on design, but he’s super reasonable (cheaper than semi custom for higher quality materials and workmanship) and is a perfectionist to booth.

I considered how I need my kitchen to function daily and on holidays when others are helping and then thought of placement in terms of my biggest gripes and issues. I then measured all my small appliances, utensils and desire for concealed recycling and came up with a plan that gives me an enormous amount of flexible, organized storage and organization with custom utensil and flatware drawer inserts. My small galley kitchen will have a LOT of pullouts behind every cabinet door and a lot of drawers and a two level silverware drawer. I will have nothing laying around on my counters any more, not even a utensil crock, but everything will be even easier to access. I also managed to come up with a whole side that’s only sink and 10’ of counter in the same space on one side. Think about when doors are opened on fridge and dishwasher or cabinet at the same time and if one person using one will impede another. That helped with dishwasher, French door fridge choice, and oven placement for me. And no trash under the sink! Someone always needing me to step aside to get to it when I’m working.

Custom is the only way to go, and I found my design style online, the space and functional work planning is all mine. The only cabinets without pullouts are the ones above the microwave and the small counter between cooktop and fridge. By keeping my oven all the way at the end on one side, the cooktop on the other , managed to create three uncramped work spaces in a small galley. I cannot wait.

My house is old, too, but we are not expanding the space; the galley suits it and I thought I would hate it but it’s so efficient. Do make a list of every single item (from appliances to measuring cups, utensils, trash,etc) and decide how you want to store it, and where you are likely to use it, etc. Lay things out for maximum uncrowded work spaces for when you have folks around for events. Make sure after listing everything you own that you want in there, and the things you want to add, that you have created a space for each thing to go. I measured my pressure cooker, food processor coffee pot (to be concealed now), and then created a cabinet with 4 shallow pullouts for smaller items so the don’t get all jumbled; one for storage containers, handheld blender, immersion blender, measuring cups and big drawers for pressure cooker and FP, vertical storage in a pullout over the fridge to keep trays and platters… I am also recessing a 72" high spice and small container pantry in a wall space between studs: it’s going to be about 5" deep and also have an outlet inside for our cell phones. no more getting in the way on my counters. Also, think about adding an LED puck light under each cabinet that’s over a work space, put everything on dimmers, my whole house is. If you need more light as I do, think about bringing a window all the way from your ceiling molding down to countertop level or just about. Think about where you will use things and if you need quad rather than 2 plug outlets with light switches at each work station, too.

1 Like

Super excellent .

1 Like

It looks great on paper, sounds great when I say it, but only finishing it will show what I missed or should have made decisions about. We did a beautiful master bath and I still love it, but there are several things I would have done differently had I known…

Stone , I have remodeled many bathrooms . Just to keep in my notes . If you don’t mind me asking . What would you have done differently ? Thanks .

Some of the things I would do differently were things I made bad decisions on, and others were design and maintenance issues I had not considered.

The biggest? I wish that instead of a full width bench across one whole end of the shower, next to a half wall with a glass door I had made a corner bench and just a fixed sheet of glass. I cannot keep that stupid trim above the door sweep free of a spot of black mold, and have to use long q tip thingies to clean orange mold from inside the two squeegees on the bottom. I don’t have those problems on the other fixed side. That stuff happened almost immediately.

Second, when my cabinet maker made a mistake on the vanity,which has 3 drawers on each end and what was supposed to be a door in the middle with a little trash bin on it and two pullouts inside. He made it a pull out hamper drawer with a kitchen sized trash bin where I wanted to have organized storage for cleaning supplies. I saw it in his shop long before installation and shouldn’t have settled; he would have graciously changed it to what we had agreed on.

I was also stubborn when my contractor wanted me to allow a 24" door to the master to save a full width molding next to the shower at the entry in the bathroom. I have two entries to the master, Jack and Jill (one room is my office and workout space, and wanted them to match up. Stupid looking uneven sized molding and we had to mess up part of the bedroom wall we hadn’t been planning to by moving the door over instead.

It looks great, but I had the wall mounted fixture mounted on the frame of the very large mirror over the vanity. At 5’4.5" it works great for me, and I never noticed my husband’s height meant he has to move to the side to see himself. It could have gone on the wall above, though it’s beautiful where it is.

I also should not have allowed them to get lazy and give me two very tall niches in the shower end wall. I mean, they look okay, but there should have been less height, and a narrow niche in between for shavers and bar soap instead. Yes, niches, plural. I like to have a lot of products and I like niches in the end so you don’t see them when looking into the room, you just see the pretty tile and stuff.

I also wish I’d seen Granada Tile black and white Cluny before I spent a small fortune on unglazed porcelain hex tile from Heritage Tile that the stupid tile guy couldn’t figure out how to measure so he could make an even border (my husband, former mason contractor came home to do the math for him and he still made it unequal).
We drove to NJ to pick up a shipment of this tile that is gorgeous, but too much pattern to use in my kitchen (using wood) so bought it for the small bath downstairs and our back door entry. I’m in serious romantic love with the look of this tile. I would have loved it up here. I love the 2" hex tile period look, but this cement tile is just gorgeous. This is it, though it’s more beautiful in person: http://www.granadatile.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/Cluny-Cement-Tile1.jpg

Also, I got the narrowest toilet in what turned out to be a large open space in the bathroom because the original plan was to have that end of the bathroom much narrower than it is. Forget to buy something else and while it’s comfort height and elongated, it has a tiny tank in width. Because we ended up moving the whole vanity, not just half of it into the office, my bathroom ended up really spacious with a tiny toilet in one corner. I wanted to use it in the downstairs bath, but it’s too long for that space, where I’m already moving a small radiator into the wall between studs to save space in front of the tub and to open it a bit. So that wasn’t a decision problem so much as dropping the ball on not exchanging it before installation when we changed the size.

Another issue is the height of the wainscotting with a wide molding and ledge on top. It should be lower, so art and display would not be so high. I can’t recall why we ended up that high. It’s all beautiful, just things that could have been even better.

I also let the contractor slide by not putting sound deadening boards in the bathroom walls adjacent to the bedrooms as I did in my last house. He stuffed in some insulation, and I let him slide, but it’s not nearly as quiet as my old house was in the family room and bathroom I used it in. I recommend it highly.

Things I love: My Fantech, with the fan motor in a remote attic location, and only a light showing in the shower barely hear the fan. The recessed sidewall medicine cabinet I had installed perpendicular to the mirror like one piece of cabinetry with an outlet inside so I never have to look at recharging toothbrushes or anything ugly on my vanity. Just pretty stuff and marble.

I let the box for my light switch/fan timer panel stay where the dopey electrician put it, too close to the door.