Favorite Summer Salads

This is the one currently at home.

We have a Thai sweet chili sauce in the fridge that is much more orange-red than yellow-orange, also with red flakes in it. Different product. Much thicker. Much sweeter. And doesn’t have the little bit of fish funk that the yellow label one does. Wikipedia says: * [Nước chấm] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nước_chấm), Vietnamese sauce that has similar ingredients to sweet chili sauce but is more spicy and vinegary, and less sweet and thick in texture.

Here is another that looks similar. From the web.
http://sunfatusa.com/?sf=products&item=VN40006

1 Like

I make the same style of nuoc cham as you do. Love it!

From restaurants, it often has shreds of pickled carrot and daikon, but I rarely have those on hand.

I use fresh indian / thai / serrano chillies (assuming I have them fresh or in the freezer) - or a squirt of sriracha if I’m totally out.

Can’t remember where I read this, but it was advice to leave the lime juice till the end if making it in advance, or it might taste bitter later. Also to cut it slightly with rice vinegar.

Same. This article is interesting. I do own multiple varieties of vinegar and other single sauces, so why not fish sauce. (At one point I had 3 kinds unintentionally - the first bought without knowledge, then 3 crabs, then red boat to compare bec I didn’t have the patience to wait out finishing the others, lol.)

2 Likes

I was going to say Red Boat, but I see it’s been covered. @Saregama ; I like the linked article! Here’s another, less interesting one.

So now I have several bottles, but only keep the opened ones in the fridge. Does anyone know if it helps to keep unopened bottles in the fridge?

2 Likes

Same here. Three Crabs is my usual go to. I like Red Boat but I’m not sure it is that much better to warrant paying triple the price - which is what it often is at my regular Asian market

2 Likes

I’ve created a “Things to Think About” for when I go to the Asian Market - What Gochujang to get (since I often get overwhelmed looking at all those red tubs), Woks of Life sauce recommendations, The Sprout’s favorite Thai Tea, etc. I’ll be adding the article you posted.

Maybe we can do a virtual fish sauce tasting?

2 Likes

Thanks for the article

I don’t keep any of my fish sauces in the fridge. I figured when fish sauce was “invented” there probably wasn’t any refrigeration!

1 Like

From the earlier article:

“Refrigerate fish sauce if you only use it occasionally or if the smell bothers you.”

Nome of my fish sauce is in the fridge (though neither are my soy sauces, which could also apparently be refrigerated).

4 Likes

Thank you! Since they mentioned smell, I thought it might mean open bottles. I do keep my open bottles in the refrigerator since I don’t use them weekly. I keep my opened bottles of soy sauce and oyster sauce in the fridge too. Maybe I should just use them more.

1 Like

I keep oyster and hoisin sauces in the fridge but not soy or fish. I also don’t refrigerate tahini though I know many people do. I do through it pretty fast.

3 Likes

Does a sprig of mint count as salad?

5 Likes

I keep it pb, tahini, fish sauce, hot sauce, HP, oyster sauce, tamari, mirin, mustard in the fridge. The only open condiment I keep at room temp is vinegar. (Obv, no need to refrigerate)

3 Likes

I got a bottle for $.99 at our local grocery outlet. But otherwise, I agree.

3 Likes

I’d have to get another fridge if I kept all those condiments in it - and I have 2 already! I do keep mustard and some hot sauces in the the refrigerator.

2 Likes

WOW! What a great price. I wish there was a grocery outlet near me. The closest one to me is 45-60 minutes away.

2 Likes

My math may be off, but given my recipe, my calcs are the finished salad has less than 5% sugar by volume. That doesn’t seem anywhere near crazy for a sweetly dressed salad.

My current situation. :sob::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

5 Likes
2 Likes

Totally reasonable! :face_with_hand_over_mouth::wink:

1 Like
3 Likes

Jersey tomatoes, cucumbers, red onions, pinch of oregano, feta, red wine vinegar, good olive oil, pinch of salt & pepper.

3 Likes