Favorite rice dish?

Risotto, pilaf, paella, arancini for me.

But over the weekend I tasted a version of kimchi fried rice topped with egg that deserves a place on that list. Most fried rice dishes are just okay for me, so I never made a point of trying this before. New favorite.

2 Likes

Stop scaring the shit out of me.

2 Likes

Pad See Ew, or any Thai dish made with thick rice noodles.
grilled chicken and som tam with sticky rice.

2 Likes

I like most rice and grew up with rice as part of dinner about 75% of the time. Recently I’ve been crushing on this recipe:

3 Likes

Off topic, but:

I went to a Muslim high school, and was one of the few non-Muslims in my classes, but was well-accepted by the Muslims, and made many good friends. After some time one of them said, “You’re one of us now, so we should make you an honorary Muslim. I was agreeable to that, provided they let me choose an honorary Muslim last name. As so many of them had names ending “ani”, I wanted a similar name, and chose “Biryani “! :grin:

5 Likes

So should we change your handle be “BiryaniGrubble”?

I know people.

I can make that happen.

4 Likes

I’d be opening up shop with Barney’s Biryanis.

2 Likes

:rofl:

“Biryani” was supposed to be a last name, not a first name, so, no.

We would also lose the original source of the name. I assume you are acquainted with the cartoon series “The Flintstones”; you sound like you are much over 18! If not, my apologies, young lad! In addition, “Barney” is a riff on my real name, “Bernard”.

Fred: “How can you be so stupid?”

Barney: “Hey, that’s not very nice. Say you’re sorry.”

Fred: “I’m sorry you’re stupid.”

2 Likes

Very imaginative!

I do love biryani, though not the standard Indian one that starts with a truckload of chillies. The wife of a friend used to make one I loved, which was flavorful, with almost no heat; sadly, she passed away at 45.

1 Like

The nicest biryanis and samosas I’ve eaten have been made by a classmate’s Ismaili mother and a friend’s Ismaili mother.

Both of the mothers immigrated to Canada from Uganda. I understand Ismaili East African cuisine is called Khoji or Khoja. And I realize you’re better versed in this corner of gastronomy than I am, Barney!

They both used subtle spices, relative to most restaurant versions.

There are a couple Ismaili-run restaurants in Toronto, but I haven’t tried their biryani. I rarely travel east of Yonge these days, and most are located east of Yonge.

Here is a recipe for a Ismaili Tanzanian beef biryani. https://www.dinnerwithjulie.com/2017/02/01/dilshad-rozinas-beef-biryani/

Quite a coincidence! The Muslim high school I went to was the Aga Khan Secondary School in Kampala, Uganda!

My (Ismaili) friend’s wife also made the best samosas I’ve had.

3 Likes

Pretty much any rice with egg. Current favorite, parent child donburi (chicken/egg over rice).

Not much to look at, but so good.

6 Likes

Hmm. I don’t know any indian biryanis that start this way.

1 Like

I should have specified that it was Indian (including Goan) food (rather than just biryanis) that I see this way. I experienced untold horrors until I figured out that it was chillies that were the cause of my ongoing digestive problems.

When the chillies are under control I love Indian food.

1 Like

That’s still a pretty limited perspective of Indian food.

1 Like

Yeah, just like PB&J.

Sometimes I wonder if chickens would lay eggs if rice did not exist.

1 Like

Yeah, we riced out at lunch the other day.

• Oyakodon - Chicken & Egg
  • Katsudon - Pork Cutlet & Egg
  • Tekkadon - Tuna Sashimi on Rice.

Yo Barne. We pass by your mate’s house off hwy280 all the time. Wishing to catch a glimpse of that fox Wilma in that “One Million Years BC” outfit. :slight_smile:

This “house” located in very tony Hillsborough. Her neighbors hate her and multiple complaints have been filed to no avail. Rich folk problems.

• pic off web
1 Like

I still haven’t figured out if it’s the chilies in spicy dishes, or the amount of oil/fat. Either way, no fun next day :slight_smile: