Favorite rice dish?

I’ve posted about this before (and don’t want to be a Debbie Downer on this thread) but the arsenic scares the hell out of me…mostly because we have an 8-year old who likes rice and we want him to have a long healthy life. I boil the s#!t out of rice, pour off the excess and then cook again. And we avoid brown rice because of the high arsenic levels.

5 Likes

I prefer noodles over rice in many Asian dishes, and sashimi over nigiri (ducks) :wink:

1 Like

This Creamy Cinnamon Rice Pudding recipe is my favorite … I’ve had it a long time and more recently have started putting the source on my recipe copies. I think this might have been from Gourmet magazine but I can’t find this same one online. It uses vanilla beans and cinnamon sticks. Raisins are optional, you can use golden instead or dried cherries or dried cranberries. I’ve post the ingredients and if someone is interested, I can paraphrase the instructions.

1 cup long-grain rice

2 vanilla beans, split lengthwise

8 cups milk, divided

½ cup white sugar (plus 7 Tablespoons later) (originally was ¾ cup) (Better with less sugar! Maybe 1/3 cup and 3 T later on)

1 teaspoon salt

Four 3-inch cinnamon sticks, halved

6 large egg yolks

2 Tablespoons cornstarch (put through a sieve first)

½ teaspoon vanilla extract

2 Tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature

Raisins (optional – 1 cup or so)

3 Likes

I’ve made David Lebovitz’ recipe for Tahdig rice several times, it always comes out right.

4 Likes

I love Fried Rice but I prefer to make it with Basmati Rice.

My revised ingredients:

6 cups cooked basmati rice

¾ teaspoon toasted sesame oil, (should be kept refrigerated)

3 teaspoons dark soy sauce

3 teaspoons light soy sauce

¾ teaspoon salt

¾ teaspoon turmeric

1 cup diced onion and shallots

1 cup diced carrots

½ cup small dice celery

1 cup petite frozen peas

1 cup julienned snow peas

5-6 scallions, chopped

3 cups mung bean sprouts, tails trimmed

3 Tablespoons grapeseed oil

4 cloves garlic, use garlic press or minced

½ teaspoon white pepper

2 Tablespoons Shaoxing Wine

3 eggs scrambled lightly in butter

5 Likes

I love rice, all of the above plus, Spanish, Pilaf.

3 Likes

You forgot:

Maklouba

3 Likes

Rodolphe le Meunier Beurre de Baratte - 250g | Wellspent Market |

It is more than I would normally spend on butter but I really like it. I’ll try the NZ one you mention if my Costco has it.

2 Likes

Paella because I live the seafood broth and saffron. Plov, a Russian rice pilaf with chicken and all the caramelized onions. I render the skin to make it crispy and chop that in.

3 Likes

It’s $9 for 2 lbs, not too bad.

How much is yours? Just looked, $13 for a bit over ½ lb, too pricey for me.

Saffron risotto is one of the best rice dishes:

2 Likes

I warned you. I think of it the way I think of a fine cheese. A special treat.

Might be good to do a blind taste test with the Costco one, see if it’s that much better, worth the price.

Wiil do. It is not unusual for me to do those. If I find it. Much like TJ’s products mentioned on this board, my Costco often does not carry things people mention here. The truth is, the last batch of this butter was not as good as in the past (still very good).

Bo Jai Fan (ClayPot Rice). Rice Noodle Roll (Cheung Fun). Congee.

5 Likes

Chocolate what? I gotta try this one!

1 Like

Are those Fritos I spy? :wink:

3 Likes

Huevos. Senor Bandito.

groundedbythefarm.com/rice-farmer/ is an interesting interview.
Sarah Moulton visited him at his farm for her show awhile back.