Favorite rice dish?

I buy rice in 50 lb bags, and it’s just Mrs. ricepad and me at home. Fifty lbs lasts us about eight months, I think. When the spawns still lived at home, we went through 50 lbs in about three months. (Doing the math, you can safely conclude that Mrs. ricepad doesn’t eat her share.) And when new crop becomes available, I get a bag no matter how much we still have on hand!

7 Likes

Wow. Even when my 3 daughters were here cooking rice at a rate I would have called “lots”, the 20 pound Mahatma jasmine bag would last us at least 4-5 months. There were some other rice types being used (valencia, sushi rice, EL basmati), but minor amounts in comparison.

Now I see why you picked your screen name. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

My favorite is long grain white rice eaten with something saucy or soupy (a curry, étouffée, etc.).

Then I like the dishes in which the rice is cooked with other items or cooked in stock broth and topped with items (Ottolenghi’s Cardamom Chicken, claypot rice dishes, arroz con pollo, various biryani, bhaat).

Followed by risotto type dishes.

And, finally, chocolate rice pudding.

3 Likes

For sure.

1 Like

I feel like rice pudding is so underrated in the constellation of desserts.

3 Likes

I’ll give rice pudding a bump. Now I’m craving it
[Paris] Possibly the best rice pudding - riz au lait of L’Ami Jean
Rice pudding and other rice desserts

3 Likes

It’s now going to be in your feed …

1 Like

Mum used to make rice pudding regularly. Classic oven cooked so a crispy skin formed. There are those who like crispy skin on rice pudding and those who don’t. I do. Always served hot with raspberry jam to stir through. One of our favourite bistros also serves it hot with a compote of whatever fruit is in season.

Of late, we’ve spurned tradition and turned to Nigel Slater’s version, cooked on the hob and served cold.

Chicken soup with rice. Though I really love other rice dishes, this one has such strong associations with nurturing and wellness associated with it that nothing else can take top spot, no matter how delicious.

3 Likes

I always favor chicken and rice over chicken noodle soup (if we are talking more western style with pasta— I love Asian noodles).

1 Like

I had a lovely Mexican chicken rice soup last weekend.

We make our avgolemono soup with orzo, but rice is good, too, and preferred by many people.

3 Likes

I try to remember to keep the little servings of Kozy Shack in the fridge for upset tummy days.

1 Like

It’s funny, but rice pudding is probably the last way I came to appreciate rice. The thought of sweet applications just seemed foreign to me - even the Asian ways of preparing rice with sweetness aren’t very sweet (at least the ones I’d tried). The first time I had rice pudding, the mouthfeel was off-putting (ha!): it felt like somebody had already partially eaten it. It probably took me half a dozen times before I started to like it.

2 Likes

What’s your French butter?

I’m sad that TJ no longer sells the lightly salted cultured butter from Brittany but now Costco stocks both salted and unsalted grass fed New Zealand butter that I like a lot.

Favorite rice. This week, or over time? :wink:

This week:

Oyakodon. Chicken and Egg bowl.

Mentaiko, cured Roe on rice. Japanese Moi Choi (pickled veg) Umami on rice.

Rice mixed with raw Egg. A special treat as a child. Never had it so good.

Dang, ate a lot of rice this week!!

6 Likes

I don’t care much for rice (which is why I’ve stayed out of this), but your pics make me reconsider…

Onigiri

And although not rice in its original form, anything with dduk (rice cakes)

3 Likes

deleted

I’ll spice things up by sharing two controversial ways I cook rice - how many of us do this?

• I mostly eat brown rice, and so I boil it like pasta to reduce the arsenic.
  • I cook glutinous rice in the microwave.
2 Likes

Rice pudding is pure comfort for me and I play around with it a lot. I’ve made it in so many different ways and couldn’t pick a favorite. I might make a batch of Turkish baked rice pudding again thanks to this.

1 Like