Favorite Old Cookbooks You Still Use

I’m sure that is a true treasure in your kitchen! NOLA is a special place in so many ways. Hope you cook out of it for several more decades!

1 Like

Have that cookbook, but it’s a newer acquisition, so haven’t cooked out of it yet. I will say I spent a week n Lafayette, and ate the best food of my life.

2 Likes

There’s no limit, list away!

1 Like

This is my favorite of all my Southern cookbooks. I like it better than the Baton Rouge Junior League one, though I realize that’s subjective.

We had three dinners there in 2016. I’d done my research, of course, but one turned out to be really disappointing. The other two were fine - including one that was my most enjoyable meal of the three week trip (not the best individual dishes, but the best overall experience)

1 Like

Thank you @Lambchop :relaxed:

1 Like

It is also really cool to have the recipes from the old NOLA masters like Emeril (when he was at Commander’s Palace!), Paul Prudhomme, recently deceased Leah Chase, etc. They have recipes for whole menus at these famous restaurants.

3 Likes

Yesterday I again used my first cookbook from some 40 years ago: Better Homes and Gardens. Making rhubarb pie. The book’s a go-to for me for many Americana staples.

3 Likes

I do the same while waving the banner, If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it!

2 Likes

John, did you happen to make it to Lagneaux’s? That was my favorite - we probably ate there 3 times. The crab and shrimp stuffed red snapper was sublime, not to mention their etouffe. We went several other places - (one night we had boudin from a gas station/convenience store) one was an excellent seafood place in the country, but the name has been lost to time. I’ve never forgotten Lagneaux’s though. Hmmm might be time for a trip…it’s a very special part of our diverse culinary map.

3 Likes

It didnt hit our radar I’m afraid. We did two of the well advertised Cajun places - Prejeans & Randol’s. Particularly wanted somewhere that also had a live Cajun band - our whole 3 week holiday to the States centred on music. Prejeans was very disappointing - both quality of food and music. And I nearly managed to kill the both of us on the way back to the hotel - I simply forgot which side of the road Americans drive on, and turned left across traffic. The other car missed us literally by a couple of inches or so. Very scary. For months after, I thought I’d never want to visit the States again.

Randol’s was much better - good music and good food. The other place was just a couple of minutes from the hotel - Marcello’s. Very Italian - both food and service style. I felt I could be in Italy if it wasnt for all the American voices. Well recommended.

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing your stories. So glad the driving incident was a close but albeit very scary close call. I’ve always thought it would be disorienting to drive on the opposite side of the road to what you’re used to.

I’m assuming it was Zydeco music being played at the resto you liked?

While looking up Lagneaux’s earlier I saw there was a Dragos in Lafayette - maybe that is their original location? We went to the NOLA location last year & had oysters, DH had gumbo as well.

Do you refer to yourself as British or English? (Just curious)

1 Like

I’m no expert but I think there’s a difference between Zydeco and Cajun music. This was Cajun. If I’ve understood correctly, Cajun develops from European traditional dance music such as the waltz, whilst zydeco crosses that with music from black communities, whether African or, more likely, Caribbean. While we were in town, we went to a “concert in the park” - a weekly free community event. The band for that event was definitely zydeco and it was interesting music - a sort of reggae but with Cajun accordian. I liked it.

As for whether I’m British or English, that’s an interesting question and one which seems to be increasingly political in the UK. Surveys seem to show that folk who self-define as English tend to have more conservative social values than those of us who define as British. Personally, if I’m asked, say, where I’m from, when travelling overseas, I would always reply that I was British or from the UK. But where I’m from depends on the circumstances - I can happily be British in those circumstances but I support the England football team and I will happily tell you, with regional pride, that I’m from northwest England. I’d also define as a Mancunian and a Cestrian, who supports the Lancashire cricket team. And I always define as Manchester City football supporter.

1 Like

Yes, Zydeco music does incorporate accordions. There’s so much music in the south that I didn’t realize Cajun had a separate category!

And thanks for explaining the nuances of what you consider your heritage to be, including the sports! I do somehow think of you as British.

Very off topic but my ancestry is from those isles mainly; I have very green eyes (only 2% of world’s population has that eye color). I went on to read that most green eyed people descend from that small area. Very interesting to read about it.

1 Like

The Key to Chinese Cooking by Irene Kuo. Cooking Fish and Shellfish by Ruth Spear. Craig Claiborne’s NYT’s cookbook. Both Silver Palate cook books. And my go to old Joy of Cooking.

1 Like

Re: Zydeco/Cajun: my understanding is that Zydeco music incorporates electronic instruments more fully than Cajun; both employ accordions (of that I’m sure); and Zydeco takes in more influences from blues and reggae (e.g., Taj Mahal). Straight-up Cajun music is acoustic-based, even though amplified, and kind of a specific regional flavor of Bluegrass.

Such good books - familiar with all of them except Ruth Spears. The 2 Silver Palate books were such groundbreakers back in the long ago 80’s. I still cook certain things from them.

2 Likes

I have a couple of CDs of Cajun music from the 1920/30s. There’s certainly something of a similarity to “Old Time” music which was the forerunner of Bluegrass. Both mainly music played to dance to, rather than listen to.

The Creative Cooking Course by Charlotte Turgeon. Chock full of recipes , photos and old time classics
My favorite cookbook.
image https://i.gr-assets.com/images/S/compressed.photo.goodreads.com/books/1387743497i/2843200.UY417_SS417.jpg![i

2 Likes