Fava beans?

Chianti aside what can I do with these ? Do I need to peel each bean?

I have asparagus and some other veggies, something fresh healthy and easy for vegetarian ?

2 Likes

Yes, it is better if you peel each bean you will get a creamier texture.
I have a recipe that I will post later my device needs to be charged.

1 Like

The young ones don’t need to be peeled- but there is a taste and texture that isn’t there if you peel them.

Favas and artichokes Ă  la Polita is a traditional spring dish in Greece, with dill and lemon. Some recipes include lamb. Enjoy!

I don’t always add artichokes. Could do with favas alone, or add some asparagus, carrots, etc.

2 Likes

I actually have 2 artichokes. Sorta random that I ever have either of those ingredients!

1 Like

Spring!!

You could also do a nice pasta primavera with the favas.

Or a risotto. https://www.italianfoodforever.com/2008/06/risotto-primavera/

2 Likes

Well I have 2 whole artichokes I know that’s a process to get the hearts too. Asparagus. Green onion.

1 Like

You could do a simple pasta dish with Alfredo sauce Asparagus, fava beans and some of your other vegetables.
Or even a salad with manchego cheese and a simple dressing with fresh herbs.

1 Like

Great tips I am appreciative.

Is there a trick to getting the husk off the bean? They are fresh and it’s not just popping off ? Maybe leave on?

I use a sharp knife to make an x in the membrane/skin, without cutting into the bean itself, before I boil them. The skin slips off after they’ve been boiled for a few minutes.

The skin won’t come off easily if you don’t cook them first.

4 Likes

You can leave them on, I just like them shelled and find it worth the effort.
I pinch them and some do need a little help with slicing a slit then squeezing it out.

1 Like

About 9-10 hours til dinner I will report back !

2 Likes

It’s a dilemma, for the bigger ones I like them peeled individually, taste is better, the ‘skin’ is a bit thick and tasteless, but peeling means they become smaller… so sometimes I keep them. For the smaller ones, the skin is thinner, no need to peel.

I have a preference to consume them fresh in salad or slightly cook.

2 Likes

Alice Waters’ fava bean puree is delicious.

Yes, you need to remove the fava beans from their shell, then blanch them, then peel off the husk.

4 Likes

This is my favoirite way to prepare Fava beans:

Giada De Laurentiis’ Spaghetti with Chianti and Fava beans is also a repeat in our household:

1 Like

I haven’t made my way through all of these yet have enjoyed many of them and look forward to cooking my way through them.

1 Like

Having never cooked with these (and now I can see why it’s a lot work!) I was surprised by the bright green color and fresh flavor.

I don’t have enough for Alice waters spread but that is next when I get more (nice one maccrogenoff) and don’t want to overwhelm flavor since I haven’t really tried it before so am going with egg noodles with butter garlic lemon and favas. Some other veggies on side perhaps.

Thanks for all the tips.

5 Likes

Yayyy! A fava beans thread! I’ve read you can freeze the beans before skinning them, which makes them easier to peel. I haven’t tried that. I usually parboil, but we are running out of water here (in California) , so I might.
I think there is a Fava beans recipe thread somewhere, but I can’t find it.

Here is my latest production.

PXL_20220504_231810802
PXL_20220505_000808466.MP

20220505_231448

6 Likes

I ADORE fava beans. When I am filthy rich, I will pay a minion very well to come in and shell, poach and peel them. And share half the product. Such a chore!

4 Likes

I’ve typed in Fava and find many recipes sprinkled throughout many threads.
CH had a Fava bean thread maybe that is what you are remembering?

Maybe. Or they could be on a food gardening thread and no “fava” tag. Or maybe it’s just wishful thinking. Whatever. We have one now!

2 Likes