Fava beans?

Quite possibly, if I come accross it then I’ll post it here.

1 Like

Thank you!

Actually, I might be thinking of sugar snap pea recipes. I tend to harvest them at the same time, and maybe use the same recipes. I love one for a spring veg ragout. Sugar Snaps, peas, asparagus, favas, maybe a fingerling potato, some herbs.

I also love saying ragout. Rag-out. I’m sure I’m not pronouncing it right, but how could this be pronounced the same as a tomato and meat ra-goo?

1 Like

You people are frikkin’ amazing - you know that, right?

All these recipes and uses. Great stuff.

2 Likes

Pasta Fagioli you could replace some of the cannellini beans with fava beans or all of them, if you have enough.

Casio-e-pepe would pair well with Fava beans:

2 Likes

It’s fava bean time! So happy to find this thread again.

The Easiest Way to Peel Fava Beans

8 Likes

I can take or leave fava. But there was a story in NY Times today about favas and Rome. Most interesting part of the story was learning about favism. I had no idea that there was a blood condition that makes favas deadly.

3 Likes

Thank you for sharing that! I was just in Rome, and favas were in season.

The anthropology of “favism” is an interesting topic, and one I have been following for awhile. My son has “hemoglobinopathies”, a *blood condition" (and is not enamored with favas).

His wife is from Turkey.

"For those with the blood disorder — which Lucio Luzzatto, a leading scientist in the field, said spread throughout the Mediterranean, Africa and the Middle East because it offered some protection against malaria "

So far it doesn’t seem their children will be at risk.

1 Like

So

Many

Fava beans!

But not really. Still not enough.
Marinated Fava Beans

With my sad garlic.

5 Likes

Trying these too.

1 Like

I ended up using a recipe like this

I added a bit of crushed red pepper, and I’d used grated parmigiano reggiano and Asiago I had. Husband said he mostly tasted cheese.

I’ve since added some cumin, and some sauteed garlic and shallot.

5 Likes