Fast Food Fried Chicken Sandwich Challenge

Actually, Chef Billy is very good.
Thai Pepper is still alive and kicking; this is just making use of the street level bar which obviously wasn’t getting much use lately.

• the Korean and Japanese style chicken is a welcome addition and something new.

:slight_smile:

1 Like

In Boston too (this was written by Devra First in the Boston Globe, lost the info in the cut/paste)

Ghost King Thai $17 box meal at a Ghost Kitchen in Boston.JONATHAN WIGGS/GLOBE STAFF

GHOST KING THAI

It launched cheekily, mysteriously. I first spotted it earlier this month on the Instagram account of Jamie Bissonnette, chef and co-owner with Ken Oringer of Toro and other spots around town. A brown cardboard box with a sticker affixed: two fire-breathing tigers, tails linked, surrounding groovy bright pink letters that said “ghost king.” Beside it was some extremely appealing fried chicken with sticky rice, green papaya salad, shrimp chips, and a little tub of dipping sauce. I didn’t need to taste it to tell that the craggy chicken, glistening with chile jam and smattered with fried garlic, was spicy as heck.

Of course, I wanted to taste it. I wanted to taste it as soon as possible. What was this Ghost King Thai that Bissonnette and — hmm — Oringer too were posting about? The website I was directed to was overstimulatingly bright and flashy. The food was available for delivery or pickup at a suspiciously familiar South End address. And I could get an order that very night: One $17 boxed meal coming right up.

The extra-crispy chicken was as good as it looked. It was not mild. I texted a friend: “Can eyeballs sweat? I think my eyeballs are sweating.” I crunched shrimp chips. I drank an ice cold Singha beer I’d added to my order. I was full, but I ate a few more chile-slathered bites just to feel something. A little mystery, a little endorphin rush, and leftover fried chicken for breakfast: What’s not to like?

Ghost King Thai, 1704 Washington St., South End, Boston, 617-536-4300, www.ghostkingthai.com . Boxed meal $17; buckets of chicken $15-$60; sides $3.95-$4.75.

7 Likes

That looks like delicious in a box :yum:

2 Likes

Doesn’t it? Really want to try it but its a bit of a hike. Maybe when the weather is better and I can
eat outside again.

1 Like

Yeh - point taken. I forgot pics. But these weren’t really worth a pic.

1 Like

I like KFCs Nashville hot. 3pc tenders with pickles, side, biscuit and drink $7.99. And no silly description.

3 Likes

I had a popeye’s Spicy Chicken Sandwich for the first time this weekend… Pretty damn good!

9 Likes

I just ordered one today for lunch, and it was terrible. Super dry and overcooked. Yuck. Wendy’s has gone downhill since I last had it.

2 Likes

Monmouth county NJ HOs, relax, it’s finally here! That’s right, several local KFC locations now have the new spicy chicken sandwich! Let the rejoicing commence!

It certainly looks a bit like the Popeye’s sandwich from the outside. The comparisons broadened as I opened it up.

Three pickles - check. Spicyish mayo-based sauce - check toasted buns - check. I’m beginning to wonder where they got their inspiration from?

6 Likes

OK, so how did it taste?

2 Likes

If you blindfolded me I couldn’t tell the difference between the kfc and popeye’s sandwiches.

I like them both so no complaints.

5 Likes

For whatever reason my daughter wanted Burger King yesterday so I ordered the bbq chicken sandwich. (Pretty much because of this chicken sandwich thread) So all I can say is by halfway through I really had buyers remorse and threw away the last 25% of the sandwich. Also as a side note their french fries really sucked too, don’t remember them being this bad, did they change?

3 Likes

Agree the fries are the worst of the big three by far. The only chicken that is tolerable there is the actual original chicken sandwich

2 Likes

That’s what my daughter got and I scoffed at her for not being more adventurous. Jokes on me!!

3 Likes

What about fish sandwiches from the fast food places? Saw a tv commercial today that compared a filet-o-fish with arby’s fish sandwich - for that once-a year-craving for a fast food fish sandwich, where should it come from?

1 Like

I’m not a big fish/seafood person myself so my only fast food fish experience has been the filet o fish at McDonald’s. So as they say you gotta go with what ya’ know!

1 Like

We started discussing fish sandwiches here…

4 Likes

The Arby’s fish is ok. As those things go.

1 Like

It looks like Wendy’s discontinued the Spicy Bacon Jalapeño Chicken sandwich & replaced it with the Spicy Jalapeño Popper Sandwich. I tried it twice & was very disappointed. Too much cheese sauce! To add insult to injury, no napkins were put in my bag at the drive-thru.

4 Likes

So the other day, Justin brought back two of the new spicy chicken sandwiches from McDonald’s for us to try. I looked at them like, “What the hell are we doing with those?” since I’m not really a fast food fan at all. But let me say this: I know they have revamped their chicken sandwiches to get in on the “Fried Chicken Wars” (Chick Fil-A, Popeye’s, etc). I don’t know what this sandwich was like previously, but it was damn good! The chicken was so large it hung out all sides of the bun. It was actual chicken, not a processed patty. The bun was decent, there was plenty of sauce, and said sauce actually had a spicy kick to it. I wouldn’t rush back to have another, but I was impressed.

10 Likes