Fast Food Fried Chicken Sandwich Challenge

Maybe they know what they’re doing… Maybe the astronomical prices are because they wanted to do this as a one-time thing but couldn’t afford to lose a cent in the process… but if you’re planning to sell any kind of food, you need to set the price at a level where you can reasonably expect that enough people will buy it.

Maybe they don’t care if anyone buys, maybe it’s part of the advertising budget.

1 Like

If you look at their website, you’ll see that it’s an upscale restaurant. I think they’re doing some ‘fun’ food, but I’m certain it will be at the level of their regular menu.

4 Likes

I understand. Even so, there’s only so much upscaleification that can be done with a buk’t o’ chik’n. It looks to me as if they’re limiting themselves to a fast-food level of complexity, while charging as if they were serving something more sophisticated.

As you may have noticed, it also kind of irks me that they decided to print their menu the way they did. It’s condescending to mok pep’l hu tok a sert’n wa bi ritin’ stuf spel’d rong. It means “We r slumin it ‘n’ we no it tu - se, we r ritin’ fune”. “Sophisticated” people talk that way too, but they don’t rit ther regl’r menu lik that.

5 Likes

I’m thinking we’ve moved on from just sandwiches. We got a bucket of chicken from Ad Hoc last weekend.

https://www.thomaskeller.com/adhoc#

“Small Bucket of Fried Chicken; A small bucket of 6-8 pieces of our famous Buttermilk Fried Chicken $30.00 .”

It’s good.

6 Likes

Maybe it should be renamed Chik’n Hoc. :slightly_smiling_face: (They could get a cool mascot out of the deal.)

1 Like

First of all, I’m jealous @shrinkrap ! Must be nice to live near a Thomas Keller restaurant these days!

Even though I think Il Nido’s food is good, they must have an overinflated opinion of themselves to price their chicken 50% higher than Thomas Keller’s.

3 Likes

That’s not impossible, but maybe they’re just smarter about cooking than they are about business.

Or maybe they’re smarter about business than I am, and they’re going to make tons of money from mak’n chik’n ‘n’ bisk’ts.

I think you and @seal are both a bit correct on the subject. To put it in the words of perhaps the greatest promoter of all time P.T. Barnum: “Without promotion, something terrible happens — nothing!”

He has the chicken on hand already, he’s working with the batter already and he has the buns and accompaniments for the burgers as well. So it literally costs him -0- in any extra expense to add the chicken sandwich even at an exaggerated price. Why? Just take a look at the TV, everyone is advertising their chicken sandwiches and even on our own site here he chicken sandwich thread has been one of the more popular ones of late. Let’s face it, the buzz on chicken sandwiches is already out there so why not capitalize on it, by offering one. The profit on 1 chicken sandwich is probably double that of a burger, so if it costs you -0- to produce it, why not?

Let’s not forget that Il Nido is located in a good zip code. People are starved (literally and figuratively) for something, anything to do. Food brings comfort and many people are seeking comfort during these times, so it just makes business sense to capitalize on an existing trend if you can.

I’m a prime demographic for the zip code, I might just go get one to satisfy the curiosity of what is going on. I would spend the money for the “entertainment value” of being able to say I did and to post about it here. (don’t hold your breath though because Il Nido isn’t around the block for me, but if it were closer I would 110% buy one lol)

So more power to them. I’m not begrudging any restaurateur trying to capitalize on a trend in during these times, regardless of how much a rip off it might be. To quote PT one more time: “There’s a sucker born every minute” and in this area the suckers have the $$$ to pay $ 22 ± (I can’t read the menu posted and the instagram link doesn’t seem to be working)

5 Likes

Speaking of high class restaurants that decided to slum it, high class style, to survive the pandemic, one of the oldest most iconic restos in Seattle - Canlis - switched over the burgers to go in March or April last year. This was a suit and tie place where people celebrated graduations and weddings.

And speaking of high class chicken, there is a resto that opened in my little town that focuses entirely on chicken. Claim to fame is fried, but they have rotisserie as well. They are called Bantam 46 after a type of chicken, so that’s how fancy they are. Their chicken is delicious. Maybe a bit too much batter, but good batter. You can buy them by the piece. Thighs for $5, breasts for $7. That’s all they’ve got piecemeal. But a bucket of 6-8 for $30 is sort of inconceivable here. They have a family meal with 4 or 6 chicken pieces, couple of sides and some biscuits for $60 I believe.

4 Likes

A bit late here but the Popeyes chicken sandwich is good. However, I always get it without pickles. Those are the worst pickles I ever ate.

6 Likes

I figure condiments only exist for one purpose, to improve a dish, and so whatever you’re making, the condiments have to be a step above it - or don’t put them on. (Maybe only a small step - the point is “not below”.) There are a few traditional exceptions like actually preferring the cheap mustard on your hot dog or the processed cheese on your burger because that’s simply the way it’s done, but there aren’t many of those.

1 Like

And in fact I eat hotdogs 2 ways: yellow mustard (Frenches), ketchup & relish or kraut (which i make)

Popeye’s, ot Chick-fil-A? I scoff! For those who want to fry chicken at home, here’s a great recipe and a better one. https://johntannersbbqblog.wordpress.com/2016/07/24/recipe-time-parkers-fried-chicken/

1 Like

It may be that the main improvement that recipe brings compared to fast food is the fact that you’ll hopefully start by getting a good chicken. Is fast-food chicken waterlogged, or am I mistaken?

Most American chicken is waterlogged.

The big improvement is pan frying rather than depo frying. It makes a world of difference.

1 Like

https://friedchickenashland.com/
Our local Thai Chef converting the bar to a takeout Chicken place.
I have not tried yet.
:cowboy_hat_face:

3 Likes

In the interest of the chicken sandwich project I stopped at Wendy’s today. I was out & about - needed lunch & the sandwiches are 2 for $5. I got one regular & one spicy. The spicy was disgusting. The flavor & texture were both poor. The classic was ok at best. It seemed more like an actual piece of chicken. I wouldn’t bother with either one of them agaian.

4 Likes

It’s the new trend in entrepreneurship! Restaurant not doing enough business? Convert to fried chicken. Shutting down the convenience store? Convert to fried chicken. Truck factory closing? Uranium mine spent? You know what to do. :smile:

4 Likes

I’ll give you a pass this time @JoeBabbitt but next time don’t forget; pics or it didn’t happen!!!

5 Likes