Fast Food Fried Chicken Sandwich Challenge

These reports from the field are much appreciated. :cowboy_hat_face:

6 Likes

After my BK chicken debacle Iā€™m not participating in this challenge anymore.

6 Likes

If they had actually called it that on the menu board, it would have saved you some trouble. :slight_smile:

I guess if they did name it that, some employees would end up saying ā€œde BAKE uhlā€ or ā€œDEB uh kleeā€. BKā€™s carefully constructed fackayde would come crashing down. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Back at KFC for more spicy sandwiches today. The sandwiches are good and cheap, so why not?

Whatever anyone thinks about their sandwich, KFCā€™s fries are super saturated with salt. Inedible.

4 Likes

So I had an appointment around lunch time and my colleague and I were discussing lunch and this thread came up. I encouraged my colleague to try the chicken sandwich and I tried the spicy/Cajun (or some crap) chicken fingers.

First I took one bite of these chicken finger things and like my J&AJ vaccine I was one and done!! One bite that is, the chicken would have been better without whatever ridiculous sauce they saturated, yes saturated as in soaked thru the box, the chicken in. Horrible.

The chicken sandwich got far higher grades and said to be very similar to the CFL sandwich.

Actually the best part of both of them (I didnā€™t try the sandwich) was the biscuit. The biscuit was pretty good, not as good as a Mc Donaldā€™s or my all time favorite Biscuitville, but good enough.

Thatā€™s my story and Iā€™m sticking to it!!

8 Likes

After these reports I tried the KFC spicy sandwich last week and was unimpressed. Maybe it had been sitting around too long, but in any case it wasnā€™t very crispy, and I didnā€™t care for the chicken quality either. So yesterday I had Popeyeā€™s version again (first time in almost a year) and it was as great as ever ā€“ quality chicken, crispy breading, good sauce. I might try the McD version at some point, but Iā€™m in no rush.

As for Popeyeā€™s flounder sandwich, I tried that last week and didnā€™t think much of it ā€“ I remember BKā€™s Big Fish as being better, although itā€™s been quite a while. Next I suppose Iā€™ll try the (new?) JITB version made with cod.

7 Likes

The Halal Spot on rt 18
Address: 1447 NJ-18, Old Bridge, NJ 08857

Makes a really good fried chicken sandwich, called the Chicken Zinger, and makes a spicy one called the Flaming Zinger.

6 Likes

Interesting. My office is a stones throw from there but Iā€™ve never been. I like the Attilioā€™s in the same plaza. Iā€™ll have to give thee Halal Spot a try soon, Iā€™m glad they have been able to hang in there. The place that occupied the space before them, after Subway, seemed a bit sketch to me. lol

(I tried to negotiate a deal with the landlord who actually owns the liquor license for the store there, to do a joint venture between the liquor store and myself for a casual Italian place serving booze. I wasnā€™t able to put the deal together.)

4 Likes

howdy- how long have you been back? Hoping your trip back in the day was as great as it sounded! miss your posts on out of the way spots up north.

2 Likes

Hey, Iā€™ve been back for a bit, since around last August. Trip was great until the whole pandemic haha.

5 Likes

I got the KFC spicy chicken sandwich the other day and I thought it was really good. Better than Popeyeā€™s and definitely better than Wendyā€™s.

1 Like

I think you got the Nashville hot chicken tenders. I love those. I like it when they put extra oil on them :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Looks like thereā€™s a new player in the game. @seal this is calling your nameā€¦

https://www.google.com/amp/s/news.yahoo.com/amphtml/tried-burger-kings-fried-chicken-211506840.html

2 Likes

Iā€™ve been meaning to try that! I canā€™t remember ever going to Burger King! The linked Insider story was fun too.

Wait. You are a Burger King virgin?!
Iā€™ve been eating at them since before I was old enough to drive and Iā€™ll be 69 in a couple of months.
I just figured everyone ate at Burger King at some point. No Mickey D either?
:cowboy_hat_face:

1 Like

I may have eaten it at some point, but certainly not in the last 35-40 years. Iā€™ve never been a fast food burger fan. I like my burgers thick and rare. I do eat a Micky Dā€™s fish sandwich and breakfast sandwich when Iā€™m feeling sorry for myself, and I eat fried chicken on the regular, but I prefer dark meat. And Iā€™ll be 62 next week!

4 Likes

Hereā€™s a variation on the theme: Spicy Chicken Sandwich Pringles!

2 Likes

Oh good. I had faith in you!
:wink:

1 Like

Sooo you must remember when they were good and charbroiled each burger and you could see yours coming off the conveyer and it was hot and greasy. :hamburger: :hamburger:

There is good and not good and the Burger King of today is not good.

Iā€™m 64 for reference.

8 Likes

Iā€™m more in line with you @shrinkrap, I havenā€™t been to a Burger King in probably 25 years. But I get Popeyeā€™s fried chicken about once every 2 months, and if Iā€™m on the road occasionally get McDonaldā€™s McMuffins or cheeseburgers, but mostly hit In-N-Out on the road. I have yet to try Chik-fil-A, but my last trip to Tahoe we had just gotten our In-N-Out order and were eating in the car when I spotted Chik-fil-A across the highway! Argghh blew my chance to try it.

2 Likes