Fast Food Fried Chicken Sandwich Challenge

KFC was what’s for dinner on Friday, due to being tired of home cooking, as well as not having a great variety to choose from in my smallish town. It had been years since I’d had it. Mashed and gravy were excellent, as was coleslaw and ethereal biscuits this time. Chicken was meh, crust was flabby, and pretty damn salty. I much prefer Popeye’s for the chicken and sides, they do a really good job IMO. However, I’ve eaten at some Popeye’s franchises I couldn’t recommend. LOVE the cajun gravy! Haven’t had their chicken sandwich…

Favorite chicken sandwich is the Asiago Bacon Chicken Ranch from Wendy’s in certain areas. Really good.

4 Likes

Salty and flabby.
Exactly.
Flaccid!
:slight_smile:

3 Likes

Yes, you got it @bbqboy - flaccid is the perfect word!

KFC was really good back in the 70’s. My latest brush with that place was a few years ago. In addition to the chicken not tasting anywhere near as good as it used to. The “bucket” of chicken is only half full. There’s a cardboard partition half way up.with empty space down below. They always show the chicken propped up in TV commercials. False advertising if you ask me.

2 Likes

I resemble that remark! :grin:

6 Likes

Do you literally mean they put false bottoms in the buckets? That’s really sad.

I just realized I always say “wee-fay-ah-see-ta” when I read this. :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Say it isn’t so @DavidPF! :joy_cat:

Here’s my favorite chicken sandwich…the Smoked Alabama Chicken Sandwich from Surf, Rumson.

8 Likes

If you’ve seen this map in the news lately you may be interested in knowing that CBS news has found that it is based only on sales growth during Covid and NOT on general consumer preference. I suppose one could say that the growth comes from preference but I don’t think that is the only factor, especially not during a strange time like this.

5 Likes

Interesting. lol I can’t make out the name of Texas and Florida, what are they? Cane’s? Care’s? Zaxby’s is interesting what is it DC and Utah?

2 Likes

Interesting - I’ve never heard of Cane’s until just now, but it’s the fasted growing chicken chain in CA?

2 Likes

Hmmmm. Lesson 3: Make a logo that people can actually read. I couldn’t tell either. They could argue that at higher resolution I’d see it, but that’s not a reasonable argument for a logo.

1 Like

Hey, it’s an improvement on “something that sounds like Wichita”. :slight_smile:

I could read that it’s CaNe’s, but I couldn’t see that it’s Raising Cane’s!

https://www.raisingcanes.com

2 Likes

What’s their slogan - “Good chicken, dumb name” ?

You can tell from the name that they’ve really put all their eggs in a row. Or they know not to count their chickens till the cows come home. Or something.

3 Likes

Texas is Cane’s and Florida is Church’s.

1 Like

Ahhhhh I have heard of them and I think they have locations in NJ, however they are not a major player in this area. Cane’s I’ve never heard of.

2 Likes

Didn’t have any near me growing up, but always hit them when stopping at a rest stop!

2 Likes

In my little town, we don’t have a lot of these national chains. We’ve got KFC which I have maybe once a year to remind myself that I don’t like it. Overbattered and way oversalted. And I love salt. I went out of my way to have the Popeye’s sandwich last year and it was fine. Whatever. I routinely got the ChicFilA when I had the occasion to drive by a location, sandwich, tenders, and nuggets. For me, it’s by far and away the best chicken (politics aside). The chicken is more tender, the outside is crunchy but not overly thick or overly salted, and it has a very pleasant slight sweet note to the crust which I love, although ymmv. Hands down the best. Very long lines, agreed, but they generally move fast.

2 Likes