Fast Food Fried Chicken Sandwich Challenge

I’d be interested in a review of fast food sandwiches focused on which serves a bun that actually ends up looking like the one in their ads or on their websites. They always seem to wind up all squished and misshapen in comparison. So far my winner is In-n-Out.

1 Like

So would I, so I request you start one and promise to follow your lead!

2 Likes

my three tries with popeyes convinced me i am not the target market. Popeyes uses a lot of sauce, i find that marrs the taste and texture of a good chicken sandwich. Do people who like them order them without sauce, which is the chik fil a default?

6 Likes

@Midlife, @NotJrvedivici - I wouldn’t get your hopes up. Remember food styling!

3 Likes

I had my third one last week, and didn’t even notice any sauce! What kind of sauce? Husband brings me the chick fi la version much more frequently, but usually on lettuce. I’d be hard pressed to describe either, other than to say I like them.

I found this from 2019

…which says sauce can be mayo or cajun. I’m pretty sure I’ve never been asked, but suspect I must have gotten cajun. I would have noticed mayo. I love mayo.

4 Likes

I always request the spicy/Cajun, love the slight bite. That’s what I like better about Popeyes but the actual bun and chicken I like Chik Fil A. So I pretty much like them equally but I refuse to stand in the 20+ person like at my local mall location Chik, so I get Popeyes more frequently. Which really isn’t that frequent anyway. Lol

2 Likes

What I prefer about Popeyes is that I can get chicken on the bone! When I can’t get a sandwich I get spicy thighs. When I CAN get the sandwich, I get spicy thighs on the SIDE.

6 Likes

I agree their fried chicken isn’t bad either. Personally I’m more a KFC Fan (Roy Rogers my all time favorite fast food fried chicken) I do like Popeyes as well.

3 Likes

People tend to judge a fast food place (as they do any other) by their first impressions. I wonder what Roy Rogers’s first visit to Kentucky Fried Chicken (presumably in their pre-TLA days) might have been like, and whether anything might have changed since then. :slight_smile:

I imagine Roy and Dale’s fried chicken experience predates the Colonel.

Am I wrong in thinking Sanders started the business? What did I miss?

Or do you mean they could never have tried Kentucky Fried Chicken?

Wait! I thought he was saying Roy Rogers liked KFC! Was there a Roy Rogers restaurant? I never heard of it if there was, that would explain my mistake.

You could get a full meal from the “Fixins’ Bar”.

4 Likes

Correct Roy Rodgers was a fast food chain serving burgers, fresh sliced roast beef and fried chicken. They were very popular in the north eastern US (where I’m from) in the 70’s into 80’s but all but disappeared by the late 90’s. I had no idea what you were referring to which is why I offered no response to your original response to my post.

https://www.royrogersrestaurants.com/

3 Likes

Having no idea never stops me!
I wade right in, frequently ending up in the quicksand with Trigger.
:slight_smile:

4 Likes

What are the TLA days?
I would add that fried chicken existed well before Kentucky Fried Chicken.

1 Like

The CIA, the FBI, the NBA, MLB, NYC, and KFC all have TLAs. *

_
* Three Letter Acronyms :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks. I’m slow sometimes.

1 Like

NFL! I’m in the middle of my fourth of six playoff games this weekend.

Food, no chicken except in the tamales the Wifeacita made with TLA SIL. Roast turkey legs later.

Full disclosure, I’m in Houston. :football: :football: :football:

2 Likes

In the seventies I remember loving KFC chicken, and the mash potatoes and the gravy that I somehow associated with “cracklins”.

After leaving New York, places in DC like Churches and Bojangles (I think), and mom and pop places seemed better.

Finally, in California I tried KFC again, and for some reason I can’t recall (I think something in the politics, and something in the bag) , it was traumatic, and I’ve never been back.

3 Likes

Roy Rogers was popular in New Orleans as well. Had one by my grandparents house when I was a kid

4 Likes