Fast Food Fried Chicken Sandwich Challenge

A friend of mine works for Panda corporate, and what that article leaves out is that there was a version of a chicken sandwich made with biscuits, orange chicken, and bacon (!!!).

And a little birdie tells me they are testing an “orange chicken pot pie” :yum:

4 Likes

SALT!

1 Like

Apologizing for thread divert, but I’ve never understood battered fried chicken in a sandwich. But we do like Carl’s Jr.s’ “Santa Fe grilled chicken sandwich”. A generous, char-grilled portion of breast meat, large slice of green chili, lettuce, cheese on potato bun. LARGE We split one + fries and are filled.

2 Likes

It’s the crunch and the seasoning from the batter.

At least for me.

8 Likes

He was deservedly brutal in this one.

2 Likes

I had the Popeyes blackened chicken sandwich today (mild). It was very good! I suppose it helped that they had run out of it and had to make a new batch of the chicken–it was juicy with lots of flavor.

7 Likes

But this (blackened chicken sandwich) ISN’T FRIED. Only the bun and condiments are the same as Popeye’s famous fried chicken sandwich.

Are you sure about that? It’s not breaded, but it had an even, slightly crunchy coating that would be hard to produce on a grill. Look at the photo here:

Even the edges are evenly toasted.

1 Like

Was just relying on their website, as well now as the headline in your link.
“Blackening” gives you that exterior coating.

It is fried.

We didn’t think it was fried. My husband watched them make it and saw it go in the fryer. He said, “I thought it wasn’t fried.” They replied, “We don’t serve chicken that ISN’T fried!”

5 Likes

Tremendously interesting considering their emphatic website statement.

1 Like
1 Like

I took the extra step today and contacted Popeye’s customer service directly to confirm that it is, indeed, fried.

I have to say that I’ve rarely had a more pleasant customer service experience than I did regarding this matter. The original rep I spoke with (Constance) was charming, warm and gracious. She not only emailed an official answer to me in minutes (it is fried), but she also had my local store’s operator call me. He was just as pleasant. I’m happier knowing there are some lovely people in this company.

9 Likes

Excellent legwork, investigators! And the Food & Wine article I linked to above has changed its headline to “Popeyes Hopes for Another Hit with New Blackened Chicken Sandwich”

6 Likes

I am getting the "body to similar " message but can’t figure out the best place to share this! It’s about filet of fisg on "Fast Foodies " recreating filet o’ fidh.

1 Like