McDonald's in General

So today I tried again (as these are still in my freezer) on butter toasted buns. As much as I avoid deep frying, I did a double deep fry, coating with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper before the second fry. The crispness was perfect, and the coating was seasoned well, but the fish was still tasteless, with the taste and texture of hot wet paper shreds. Here is where it ended up…

What a waste of really good tartar sauce!

Tossing the rest next trash pickup day.

6 Likes

You gave it the good old college try. Thank you for informing us of your adventure.

5 Likes

Or compost!

1 Like

I learned this the hard way too. They are just so bad. And putting them in bread makes them worse, not better, since now you really have no idea what’s inside those things. And no matter how you do it the outside never comes out right. The inside is vaguely fish like in the worst possible way. I don’t know if my taste buds have changed or what but I don’t recall ever hating any commercial fried fish product this much.

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/_ZIR0C/status/1659289147847110661?s=19

Watching Fast Foodies Filet O Fish !

I just had Filet-O-Fish last week. Good as usual, but the price has gone up to ~$6-6.50 just for the sandwich.

3 Likes

Wow! I better get one soon. So many McDonald’s Filet-O-Fish mentions on HO!

1 Like

I will try to catch up on my Big Mac – which I cannot even remember if I have had one for 10 years.

1 Like

My last order at McDonald’s was over 20.

I feel like I need to consult my CPA before venturing out to the Golden Arches (which should no be called Platinum Arches methinks …)

3 Likes

By the way, what is (are) your favorite McDonald item

I like many items. I think one failed item I like (but apparently others do not) is the: Fish McBites.

1 Like

My favorite, and one of the only things I remember eating from Mickey D’s is the filet-o-fish, and NO CHEESE please! Usually when feeling sorry for myself because there was one across the street from my office and it was all I had/made time for.

I also remember eating several of the breakfast sandwiches and hash browns when feeling sorry for myself for having to be somewhere while they were still serving them, but the last few disappointed me. Again, nothing with their dreadful cheese.

I think they might sell the breakfast all day now, which makes it less special, and I rarely feel sorry for myself since I retired. :grin:

4 Likes

From a meal perspective:
1.) Sausage egg mcmuffin, hash browns, OJ.
2.) Filet o’ fish, fries, diet coke
3.) Big mac, fries, diet coke

1 Like

Yeah. I think in general I like the Filet O Fish and the breakfast items. I actually don’t find the hamburgers that great, but also in all fairness… many more competition in the burgers part (Burger King, Carl’s Jr…etc).

My burgers need to be medium rare ( no really), so I rarely (:grin:) get a fast food burger. I used to enjoy Fuddruckers, and I’ll eat Five Guys and In-N-Out is someone else is making a run.

2 Likes

All great choices. I think I like most of their breakfast menu, but if I have to choose, then egg McMuffin.

3 Likes

I didn’t even know about this. Good to learn.

1 Like

Back in SoCal we used to have a local chain “Woody’s Smorgasburger”. You walked in to see a huge open flame grill behind the counter. Once you got your burger you traversed down the counter to a salad-like bar with literally every burger topping you could imagine (and their 1000 island was amazing), and then to a similar setup for sundaes/shakes.

One of my favorite places as a kid.

2 Likes

Just googled it. It does not exist anymore: Woody’s Smorgasburger

I used to get a sausage McMuffin with egg every Sunday on my way to the dog park, until I saw the nutritional information. 31g total fat, 12g saturated.