Faced a dinner dilemma tonight...

At the last minute tonight, my DW informed me that I should do the chicken legs she thawed out for dinner. (gawww…)

No beer or wine in the house to do a marinade, so I drenched the legs in a tasty Balsamic Vinegar I found in the cupboard. And then, and then…dragged them through a coating of Drake’s Crispy Fry Mix, mixed with the horrible remains of Cheez-Its crumbs I found in the bottom of a fresh box we bought just last week. Do you think this will be a Win? Or, a fail? Dinner on the table is 40 minutes away…

If the chicken has skin you might get lucky. It wasn’t AT ALL the way to go, though.

1 Like

Cheez-it crumbs make a nice crust actually (no not the most gourmet but not horrible) - mixed with balsamic … not sure about that.

Curious how it goes.

1 Like

Sounds… interesting. I’m not familiar with Crispy Fry Mix, but I would have coated the chicken in a bit of mayo and then rolled them in the Cheeze-It crumbs mixed with the Fry Mix. Or grilled the chicken legs with S&P and then reduced the balsamic until slightly thickened, and drizzled it over the cooked chicken.

Drenching the chicken in balsamic just sounds horribly strong.

2 Likes

Vinegar alone isn’t an optimal marinade, and something viscous is needed to glue breading/crumbs to chicken pieces. We learn by our mistakes, though.

1 Like

Jimmy , you have probably eaten by now .Another way is to cook them on med low in a skillet with oo . You can add any aromatics you like . Comes out with crispy skin . No marinade . Simple .

1 Like

I rarely use marinades. Chk legs with skin seasoned with nothing more than salt and pepper and roasted in a hot oven until the meat pulls up on the bone a little makes some fine eating. I like dark meat taken to closer to 200+ F. Others can take the breast. Give me legs and thighs. Thighs being the pinicle.

5 Likes

Dunno about that basalmic and cheezeit crumbs combo… I don’t cook chicken but i’m thinking a mayo/dijon plus crumbs and save the basalmic for the salad or roasted veggies

1 Like

Got away with one. The legs baked up very nicely. The Balsamic Vinegar didn’t leave any taste profile whatsoever. And no added spicings were necessary. Thank you all for your comments.

2 Likes

I would have gone with a simple roast chicken dish, or something like this: http://www.food.com/recipe/jacques-pepins-chicken-thighs-483664

Wow…I think you dodged a bullet with that one. I thought you were going to throw on the grill, when you moved to coating my “ohhhh” turned to “ewwwww”. Glad you enjoyed! Nothing ventured nothing gained!

2 Likes

I will say - if you’ve never tried Cheez-its for your crumb in an oven baked “fried chicken” you should give it a try - it is tastier than you’d think. It has tempted me to experiment with other chips/crackers as breading.

1 Like

No I have only used crushed ritz crackers in the past, my larger concern was the balsamic acting as the binding agent. Just doesn’t seem like a good choice to me, but obviously there was no harm.

I’ll keep the cheez-its’ in mind, thanks for the tip.

2 Likes

Jacques Pepin, on one of his shows, used canned fried onions as breading for fish. I think he buzzed them in the food processor and IIRC, the “breaded” fillets were shallow-fried or sauteed.

1 Like

I’ve never used them exclusively, but I have added them to other breadings for flavor. Also as silly as it sounds I love a healthy amount of those canned fried onions on the top of my melted cheese on onion soup!

1 Like