Extra Virgin Olive Oils - Which do you Use ?

Galili or Zuri Israeli Olive oil for special occasions or California Olive Ranch from TJs for salads, cooking, etc.

1 Like

I never buy TJs olive oil. But I didn’t know you could get COR there. :relaxed:

I will try to find it. Thanks I never get imports because I don’t know enough to know who’s faking. I figure if NoCal grapes produce good wine, why not olives? I read so much stuff about not getting what importers say is in the bottle, so I’ve avoided it…

Edit: the COR Everyday may be okay for cooking but the other 2 are a little pricey for that. I use them for drizzling & dipping.

2 Likes

Now that you mentioned it, maybe it wasn’t from TJs. My mistake. Maybe from wegman’s.

2 Likes

We used to love Olio Santo, but haven’t seen it for years. Is it still around?

1 Like

That’s probably the other reason for my switching. :wink: It seems California Olive Ranch has replaced Olio Santo in a lot of stores. IIRC COR is less pricey and they probably produce more since they’ve started blending. I really liked OS’s real olive flavor, fruitiness and beautiful green color.

2 Likes

Interesting. It inspired me to look it up, and it appears Olio Santo is still available, in two versions: “California”, which is appx $40 for a 25.4 oz bottle at Williams-Sonoma, or “Pacific Blend”, which comes in a 16.9 oz bottle for $29 at W/S, or 2-for-$40 at Amazon. According to W/S, the Pacific Blend is a blend of California and Chilean Arbequinas, and the straight California one doesn’t even specify olive variety. For my money, I think I’ll stick to the California Olive Ranch Arbequina, which when I last checked, was still available at the larger Whole Foods in Vegas, at $16 per 16.9oz (we stocked up). If that becomes unavailable, it can still be purchased through Amazon at 2 bottles for $38, (free shipping with Prime).

1 Like

Just saw the California Olive Ranch Arbequina at Von’s here in Las Vegas – 16.9 oz for $15.99. Apparently no shortage here.

1 Like

Good research @celeryvictor!

Yah, COR has more variety than Olio Santo, but the Pacific Blend (California and Chilean Arbequinas) on Amazon is tempting, just to see how the brand stands up to my memory. COR Arbequina at Vons in Vegas? Hootie hoo! And better price than L.A.

Ina Garten says test a lot of Olive Oils to find your preference and don’t worry about overbuying because they won’t go to waste. You’ll use them.

I found Galili in-line @HungryAllTheTime. It seems easy enough to get. I couldn’t find anything by the name Zuri Israeli.

P.S. There are some lovely Olive Oils posted on this thread. Too many to research. Question? For those of you who posted how many are bought or can be bought in the U.S.? Looking to expand my horizons. :amphora:

Zuri (aka Tsouri, Tsuri, Tzuri, Souri) is the olive type, not the name of the oil. Amazingly delicious. There are a few companies in Israel sellling EVOO with it - Sindyanna, Lavi, Masik to name a few. I believe its name originates from the Lebanon town of Tzur (just a bit of history). I think if you google Souri you’ll find information on it. It’s my fav for dipping (I don’t waste it on salads or cooking)

Okay, got it. I did not read it that way at all.

But first things first. I found this and will give it a whirl. Lovely looking color.

https://galileegreen.com/

Website is kinda’ wonky and all over the road. I can’t find any Olive type - Zuri? And I’m not crazy about tin cans (aluminum, BPAs, yes I’m that girl). But I trust you. :wink: And the bottle in the $40 gift set is appealing. Free shipping! Thanks. I guess I’m starting with Israel on my international Olive Oil journey!

P.S. You don’t have to worry about me using good Olive Oil in salad dressing. Unless it’s just w/lemon, salt & pepper I don’t really like OO in dressings. I prefer flavorless oils like Grapeseed to let the other ingredients standout.

Happy Dipping & Swirling!

There is another olive oil called “Galilee”

which is not the same company as Galilee Green - who are located in a place called The Galilean Bethlehem (who many historians consider THE Bethlehem, but that is a topic for another type of discussion group). It is where the Spice Road Farm is located.
https://www.derech-hatavlinim.co.il/en/
They have the most amazing spices which they grow on site (and also sell out of their California store).
They also sell their own oils. The most amazing Za’atar, turmuric and paprikas that I have yet to find anywhere else in the world. When I am in Israel (I am there a lot for work), I always make my way there.

Hope you have an amazing journey !!! Keep me posted - I can’t wait to hear all about your experiences with EVOO

1 Like

Thanks! And thanks for the list!

I would ask which Galili/Galilee you use but the other site is in Hebrew with no English option. The visuals are really good though. :slightly_smiling_face: Bookmarking the Spice link!

I am looking at my previous reply and see that I spelled it Galilee instead of Galili (I am on HungryOnion while working, and I guess my multi-tasking skills are not so great). I think it is #1 in the list. Didn’t see another site in Hebrew though. I hope I helped and didn’t totally confuse you. Again, enjoy the journey!

1 Like

No, no confusion. There’s 2 companies with similar names on the “10 Best” list you posted, Galilee Green & Galili (sorry, I abbreviated to Galilee). The link for Galili is in Hebrew. It looks really good but their website doesn’t seem to have an English option.

Now I see what you mean. I didn’t click on them - that’s why. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like