Extra ingredients

Holy Shit - you have one heck of a memory. We did only cut the rolls into 3 pieces as the hot dogs looked bigger with the extra dough wrapped around them. We charged $0.75/piece 10 years ago so $15 for 32 pieces is almost a bargain, especially for Kosher hot dogs.

Of course we called our pigs-in-a-blanket “Cocktail Franks En Croute” so I suppose they warranted an up charge.

3 Likes

Totally agree about the state of cooking today. But there is hope. Our d-i-l literally did not cook when she joined the family… Nor did her mother cook. But I showed her a handful of simple foolproof dishes that gave her entree and some confidence. She now sends me photos of her accomplishments. Fortunately, she is adamantly against packaged foods, so she cooks fresh and healthfully.

3 Likes

All this talk of pigs in blankets has me thinking. Of course everybody probably knows they’re one of the 1st things to disappear if they’re brought to a party, along with deviled eggs.

I’ve concocted a few variations over the years, and have come up with another. I’m proposing we have a virtual pigs in a blanket cook-off.

I won’t be making any, because too much QT eating already, but I’ll share some that have been way successful.

V1 - bbq sauce brushed on Pillsbury Crescents cut to size needed, lil smokie, topped with carmelized onions, and wrapped.

V2 - puff pastry cut to size, Parmesan cheese sprinkle, sausage, roll up and sprinkle with additional Parmesan.

Idea, but haven’t made - Crescent rolls, Blue Cheese Dressing brushed on, sausage, few blue cheese crumbles, carmelized onions, sausage and roll up.

What are your ideas or successes?

1 Like

A large roll of Hebrew National beef salami cut into links, wrapped in Pillsbury crescent dough and served with spicy mustard.

Spicy Italian sausage links cut into bites, rolled in P-dough and served with tomato sauce.

Eta: we prep and freeze these for parties to have on hand. I find they crisp better frozen than straight away.

3 Likes

Yes, good ones @Rooster!

I like the caramelized onion idea.

1 Like

It’s truly delicious with the bbq sauce. I’ve had blue cheese with carmelized onions before, but not as pigs in blankets. It’s a really good flavor if you like blue cheese, @Rooster.

2 Likes

Make a wash of Dijon mustard and a little honey. Brush that over the pastry. Dust grated Parmesan over. Lil’ Smokies at the fat end of the pastry and roll. Serve with choice of mustard and BBQ sauce.

Like pizza, pigs-in-a-blanket are good cold for breakfast if there are any left.

2 Likes

Screenshot_20200826-211719_kindlephoto-31416286

8 Likes

I like smoked sausage in a quick meal of packaged jambalaya/dirty rice/red beans and rice. Always add onion, bell pepper, and celery, too. That would work for your leftovers but sounds like you have a good solution going already.

It’s one of the reasons I can’t bring myself to by anything other than the Boar’s Head hot dogs (which I find also taste the best out of other mass market hot dogs). They come in bunches of 7-8 hotdogs, so they also match the number of buns I have well.

My biggest peeve of extras is probably tortillas. Unless you’re buying the fancy wrap like kinds, most of the better tortillas come in packs of 50. I don’t need 50; I need maybe 5. 10 if I want to eat them three days in a row. I will try to make breakfast burritos, quesadillas, and all sorts of stuff, but seriously…50??

I suppose I could get creative and try to toast/bake them add add them into soup or chili or something, but it’s a lot of extra tortillas.

LOL! I hear you. We freeze the tortillas in bunches and also use them for pizza.

“Nothing lasts forever;
always is a lie.
Tortillas are the exception.
They never seem to die!”

We find that tortillas, especially kept in the fridge, last for MONTHS. In fact, d-i-l asked if I was reusing the packaging as she found a package with a 2019 use-by date in the country fridge. We use them for quesadillas and for. making impromptu chips. Panic is when we’re out.

3 Likes

We have no trouble finding packs of five, eight, or ten. Fifty would be lovely! grin If I’m going to make enchiladas or burritos I make a lot and freeze the extras. Maybe not fifty, but twenty. The tortillas themselves last forever in the freezer. Not a quesadilla or nacho guy but those work also.

1 Like

I also would bring my own containers for leftovers, especially if I knew the restaurant used those totally impractical and wasteful Styrofoam containers (they don’t seal at all, and you have to transfer the food to another container to reheat it anyway).

3 Likes

Years ago, after an adulthood of home cooking spent mostly using deli and yogurt containers to store and freeze cooked foods, I decided to splurge on Rubbermaid Seal’n’Serve containers, in just about every darn size. No sooner was my collection complete than Ziploc and Glad introduced the lines of cheaper but just as good containers we all use now for potlucks and gifts, never to be returned to our kitchens. And now those are being rendered superfluous by the reusable restaurant takeout container!

Plus, the produce and bakery clamshells. THOSE I use for scrap yarn balls and storing finished small yarn items like the “mask mates” I donate to medical facilities.

3 Likes

I save the round clamshells and use them as plant saucers.

1 Like