Extra ingredients

2 Likes

SautƩ with some teriyaki or hoisin and sriracha until they get a sticky coating, and enjoy.

(But yes, the hotdog bun dilemma is a real one too - I make lobster rolls or shrimp rolls when that happens.)

1 Like

Whoa. I think that might be pushing the envelopeā€¦ :astonished:

2 Likes

Brilliant!

Not a big fan of take-out containers. Just not very sturdy. Iā€™m a Lock-n-Lock guy. Brand only, no knock-offs. Before COVID-19 Iā€™d started taking our own containers along when we went out so I could pack leftovers. My attempt to reduce waste.

Weā€™re not big take-out people even with CV-19. We just cook for ourselves. A night off is leftover/refrigerator scraping nights to empty the fridge. In fact we have one of those planned for tonight. One may not be enough to get the fridge under control. We may need another one tomorrow. grin

1 Like

Thereā€™s just so many chopsticks one family can use/reuse. We share. My repurpose efforts are decades old; a habit that just is. There is far too much waste. Iā€™m quite sure I am not alone in that belief.

2 Likes

I definitely agree with you that there is too much waste.

I do cook with chopsticks. Big help with stir fries and getting air out of Ball jars when cooking. I have a pair of stainless steel chopsticks in my yacht delivery go bag. Nothing gets in there that doesnā€™t earn its keep.

Our local Chinese place asks what you want before loading up with plastic ware, napkins, and plastic packets. grin

Iā€™m the solo cook in our house. The husband works crazy hours, so he likes to say that he sometimes ā€œcooksā€ for me with a credit card. Which means takeout.

One of our local joints packs ketchup with everything weā€™ve ordered except pizza or a subā€”asking them to hold the ketchup
is uselessā€”so I may never need to buy ketchup again. :laughing:

2 Likes

The version I know isnā€™t grape jelly, but sausage, ketchup, mustard, and jellied cranberry sauce. Over mashed potato.

The cocktail sausage ā€œrecipeā€ we were taught in the ??ā€™80s?? was chili sauce and grape jelly. Works. Especially if imbibing enough cocktails.

3 Likes

Thatā€™s the one Iā€™m familiar with as well, @pilgrim and @greygarious.

As I added Lilā€™ Smokies and Pillsbury Crescent Rolls to our online grocery cart Giant suggested I consider these: https://www.hebrewnational.com/appetizers-snacks/beef-franks-blanket . Now setting aside the degree of processing for a computer somewhere to make the connection between the contents of my cart to what I might be making, I was gobsmacked. $15 for 32 pigs-in-blanket compared to $6 and ten minutes to make 24. Just how bad are American cooks anyway? Jeepers. If youā€™re like @MsBean (I think) and cut each piece of pastry into five pieces instead of three itā€™s really nuts.

Now Iā€™m going to have to run numbers on raising my own pigs, smoking my own little sausages, and making pastry from scratch. Because I can. Eventually. When I have time. grin

Seriously, how bad off are we when people canā€™t be bothered to roll little weenies up on premade pastry (that is so fun when it poofs out of the tube) the world is on the brink of disaster. Maybe COVID-19 is not our big problem. sigh Get the movie Idiocracy. Go ahead. Iā€™ll wait. Laugh until you cry.

Okay - I feel better now.

Momos on the meal plan for next week and Iā€™m making the dumpling wrappers from scratch. That will make me feel better also.

My mother had a reversible magnet on the refrigerator that said ā€œMom made dinnerā€ on one side and ā€œMom made reservationsā€ on the other side. I always rooted for reservations.

There was a subordinate story line on The Big Bang Theory about a draw full of ketchup packets in Mrs. Walowitzā€™ kitchen. We have a lot of packets but surprisingly few are ketchup.

2 Likes

One of our favorite movies!

1 Like

Make it last; make it do; do without. The credo here is routinely sending guestsā€™ leftovers home in second-use containers, regardless of first purpose ā€“ sour cream, takeout all work just fine.

4 Likes

P.S. Our favorite repurposers are the kids who give second life as doll furniture to the three-legged pizza savers often used in carryout boxes.

5 Likes

We donā€™t use chopsticks for eating Chinese food. We repurpose them for getting crab and lobster meat out of the hard to reach places in the shells. You just poke them right through the narrow holes in the shells and the meat pops out.

1 Like

Chopsticks are also great to use if your half bagel gets stuck in your toaster. No electrocutions that way. :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

Chopsticks and plastic wares I use them in the gardens, inside the pots to hope to prevent cats digging.

4 Likes

Now THERE is an idea.

Those damn cats! :cat: