Extra firm block of tofu..looking for inspiration

Oh that sounds good!
I thought you maybe just baked the tofu plain and ate it alone that way…! Haha, i love tofu but that just didn’t sound appealing.
@ChristinaM is totally right, i use the trader joe’s soyaki on tofu alll the time

I will look for it nxt time I get to TJs.

JoonJoon’s post led me to that website earlier this week. What a vlog charming host. I watched her 4 part mini video series on shopping in an Asian grocery and a few of her recipe videos.

If you like that soy one I definitely recommend trying the spicy version, IMO it is far superior. My mom makes me a big tub of it and it’s one of those foods I just end up standing in front of the fridge and eating.

https://www.maangchi.com/recipe/dubu-jorim

Maangchi doesn’t use any fresh hot peppers in hers but IMO it is key to the dish, there are lots of different recipes out there.

Oh, i would but… i’m a wimpy white girl! :joy: so the spicy part is a dealbreaker! Haha, i can handle horseradish and some fermented kimchi in small doses but that’s about it :frowning:
Hopefully rob can handle the heat and will make it!

I saved this recipe years ago from Chowhound Buttertart:
"I take 2 pkgs of the tetrapak extra firm tofu, slice them into 5 pieces, and put them on paper towels on a rimmed baking sheet sheet to drain, covered with more paper towels and another baking sheet, with a weight on top (like a frying pan, nothing very heavy).

Then I slice up a couple of scallions and mince up some ginger, put about 1/2 c flour in a dish and beat up 2 eggs in another. Mix up 1/2 c chicken stock (can use salted water 0r veg stock), some black pepper, a tb or so of Scotch or whatever whisky’s at hand, and a couple of tsp of sesame oil.

Dredge the tofu slices in the flour, then in the egg wash. Fry over medium heat until brown on the bottom in a heavy, non-stick frying pan (use a couple of tb of veg oil). Top with the scallion/ginger mix, turn over. Poke them with a fork, then drizzle on the broth, let that cook off and let the pieces brown. Serve. Yum"

1 Like

Interesting addition of spirits. I typically dredge in rice flour or cornstarch so I would use up what I have but these quick meals are so useful.

I don’t think I saw anyone mention mapo tofu yet. This recipe is a good starting point, although I usually swap in leeks for the green onions and double or triple the sauce and meat. http://www.pbs.org/food/fresh-tastes/mapo-tofu/

You can definitely use firm tofu instead of silken. I also add a splash of Chinese rice wine to the sauce.

1 Like

JoonJoon mentioned the dish upthread but as delicious as I find tofu it cant be overstated😊.

1 Like

I have this recipe saved but haven’t tried it yet:
Maple-glazed Tofu Ham
1 LB FIRM TOFU, drained, sliced, pressed dry
1/2cup maple syrup
2/3 cup crushed pineapple juice from can [plus cr pineapple to finish ]
1/2 tsp ground cloves [maybe more]
1 tbsp tamari sauce
2 tbsp grain mustard
1-2 drops Wrights Liquid Smoke [be careful–this is over-powering]

Directions:

1. Whisk together maple syrup, pineapple juice, clove, soy sauce, liq smoke, and mustard in a small bowl. Set aside.
  2. In a large skillet over medium-high heat DRY-fry the tofu until evenly browned. Stir in syrup mixture and continue to simmer slowly until the glaze has reduced.
1 Like

This serious eats recipe also sounded delicious: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/07/grilled-tofu-chipotle-miso-recipe.html

I think I’ll have to try this one.

2 Likes

I have white miso on hand. Need to buy red when I get the tub of red pepper paste.

Interesting riff.

I like a Thai coconut milk curry, usually Penang style, with long beans and seasonal mushrooms with extra firm tofu. Depending who is eating with me I also like to add peanuts, or after it is ready, serve with sliced avocado.

2 Likes

Perfect timing on the heels of a market stop. Thanks.

So many great ideas here… I need to buy tofu!
Another one to add from Maangchi’s site:

Tofu pickles! Very tasty and good to add to salads too:
https://www.maangchi.com/recipe/dubu-jangajji

2 Likes

Looks delicious. The brine has all the ingredients I enjoy.

I’ve been eating Korean food since I was born and I’ve never heard of Dubu Jangajji. Would you know if it’s a new dish? It sounds interesting!

Yes, the brine is very tasty and the good thing is that the tofu will store in the brine in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.

I am not sure if it is a new recipe or not; it could be? Maangchi only says that she is presenting the recipe in response to requests for more tofu recipes. Perhaps it’s one of her creations?

1 Like

You can totally just use the white miso if you want, just add a little more of it.