Endives, what to do with them?

There are different endives, the one that @harters talked about is frisée.

2 Likes

The best cost i’ve seen is trader joe’s, three heads in a packet for $2.50. Often $5/lb or so at other grocery stores, not all stores carry it.
So lucky to find it at such a good price! Must be growing nearby

2 Likes

Braised, as someone else mentioned - but with lots of olive oil and lots of garlic. If you do them very slow for ~45 minutes: well, the barely-cooked vegetables crowd will not be impressed, but they are very luxurious this way.

2 Likes

It was.

Cigar shaped ones - usually called chicory in the UK
Horrible leafy one - also chicory but, increasingly, frisee

Absolutely. If I could buy them that cheap, I’d also want loads of recipes.

1 Like

Much of the endives were used in salad. I also made the classic endive gratin in emmental cheese and white sauce. Endives was steamed and then wrapped with ham, white sauce (flour, milk…) was added with cheese sparkled on top. Into the oven for 25 minutes. I feel the version by my MIL was better, the endives were softer.

Next time, I will probably use this recipe.

I also made a “flaming tart” (tarte flambée - flammekueche) with endives, onion and bacon and white cheese and cream mix. But I didn’t have the cherry alcohol Kirsch, so nothing was in flame. Not a classic one, since I used a pastry dough and not the thin pizza dough.

6 Likes

Split lengthwise, mooshed in salt, pepper and olive oil, and charred on a grill or grill pan. Served with a drizzle of good balsamic. Starter or accompaniment to meats.

2 Likes

Bumping this back to the top. I’m looking for a simple endive dish to serve alongside duck breast. I like the braising posts and adding orange juice maybe then finish in the oven perhaps? Anyone help me with the learning curve? :pray:

1 Like

How about a leaf of endive stuffed/filled with tampenade? Chopped endive stuffed in a tomato and roasted? Artichoke with endive leaves interwoven? Sauteed on its own?

Endive always reminds me of a pet hamster named Ernie. Ernie loved endive and would eat it until it put him into a coma.

2 Likes

Nice, thanks. (Poor Ernie but hey, can you ask him for some tips?) I’m thinking of something on the lines of braising / basting the head for color then some oj and oven time. I’m endive challenged. I can google some ideas but thought there’s no better audience than here.

1 Like

Another thing I do is roast them in the oven, cut in half, on a baking sheet, rolled in a little olive oil. About 20 minutes at 350F (I think!).

3 Likes

I’m kind of stuck with olives and endive so a little creatively blind. Olives do go well with duck. Do you like deviled eggs? You could roast the endive and then pipe in the yolk mixture from deviled eggs. How about a rice noodle stuffing? That would pair well with duck also. You could julienne endive, carrot, and celery and saute that as a side.

2 Likes

Thank you!

@naf

I prepare a Radicchio Rosolato (magenta chicory) with pancetta in a risotto that is quite wonderful.

Evoo
pancetta or bacon
radicchio
onion or shallot
carrot
beef stock or a vegetable stock
salt and freshly ground black pepper

Very simple to create in a skillet / sarten …

However, my favourite is the French classic with Gruyère or French Emmenthal with jambón or proscuitto and of course white endives and bechamel !!!

3 Likes

You mean tapenade. Tamponade is a surgical plug, or a cardiac crisis. Tampenade isn’t a thing.

1 Like

This dish is better than it sounds, and SO flexible! I use frisée because I buy it as a salad green, but chiffonaded heads of Belgian endive would work, as would any firm, bitter green, as long as it is cut finely enough to be wilted by the limited heat the recipe provides.

1 Like

You are correct. I did mean tapenade. Interestingly my spell checker didn’t object to tampenade but it does to tapenade. Now I have to dive down the rabbit hole to find out how to update the dictionaries.

1 Like

Unsurprising. Many of the millennials and younger folk who dominate the techniverse neither know nor care about spelling, grammar, or punctuation.

I suspect what they do is buy a dictionary (or one for each supported language) and don’t do any checking. “Oh - here’s a cheap one!” Likely it’s an error in the dictionary that for a relatively obscure word never had a report get back to the master copy. Since the error is one extra letter a mistake seems likely. Some of my writing has extra 'j’s and 'k’s scattered through before I check spelling from keyboard shortcuts in the wrong window. sigh

Interesting! It’s maybe two letters.

I noticed one still scares the bejesus out of me and the other makes me drool.

1 Like