Arugula ideas

I will certainly give it a try some time. I’ve been intrigued by the idea of carrot top pesto too. Especially when basil gets to $11/lb…

1 Like

Why don´t you grow some basil indoors at home ?

It is very sensitive to the extreme cold and extreme heat from direct sun …

However, needs good natural illumination.

A Sicilian Tomato Pesto can be a lovely alternative too.

Carrot leaf top greens are not my cup of tea.

1 Like

I don’t have enough direct sunlight inside to grow anything. I have a hard time even starting seeds indoors. I’ve grown basil outside several times, but I have never been able to get it big enough, or get enough of it, to make pesto. I believe I bought 3 lbs of pesto last years in order to make about 6 small jars of it for the freezer. I began this process years ago so that I could feed my child pesto who is allergic to nuts.

1 Like

Ligurian (Basil) Pesto has pine nuts …

However, if your son or daughter is allergic to nuts; I am sure that you omitted the pine nuts.

Try the Sicilian Tomato Pesto (no nuts in it) and it is real tasty …

Yes, I’ve done that too. I also use carrot greens as a sub for parsley in tuna salad and like that. I don’t even like pesto all that much, but I keep trying to grow carrots and radishes and failing miserably at it, and I’m just trying to get a little return on my investment.

1 Like

Exactly. I used basil, parmesan, garlic, olive oil, salt and pepper. For the Sicilian, do you substitute basil for sundried tomatoes and otherwise proceed like an ordinary pesto (no nuts)?

Oh, I am sorry that a couple of the ideas I offered include nuts. :disappointed: Nuts are easily omitted from the dishes.

Not at all - I mental edit as I go. All ideas are good ones except ones that just wouldn’t be the same w/o nuts. Pecan pie for instance!!

1 Like

Big pile atop chicken or veal cutlet (milanesa). Dressed with lemon and curls of parmesan.

Same thing atop beef carpaccio.

1 Like

This is a fantastic meal, and flexible. I used prunes because I didn’t have figs, and frisée because I didn’t have arugula. You could easily add more greens than called for. The more rustic the bread, the better.

I used thighs, so no flipping was needed, and didn’t bother with broiling. I just started the pan with just the marinated chicken to jumpstart it before adding the bread…

2 Likes

Yum! I need to bake a bread and see if I have chicken in the freezer.

saute it as you would spinach

You gave me an idea. I’ll try to throw some into minestrone instead of kale and see how that works out.

2 Likes

I love the pesto idea. If you’re under real scoreboard pressure to use it or lose it, I’m thinking you could buy yourself a decent amount of time just by making a basic ‘pre-pesto base’ of the blitzed rocket and some oil and storing in jars. Give you some time to adjust and vary the flavour profile as you use it.

I think it’d also work great as raw loosely chopped leaves in burritos, though granted that’s pretty much just another ‘salad’ instance.

1 Like

Yes, sun dried tomatoes, Reggiano Parmigiano aged cheese, Evoo, Salt & Pepper … A pinch of oregano.

1 Like

This is a dish we enjoyed in Rome. Beef strips with arugula.

https://memoriediangelina.com/2010/03/28/straccetti-di-manzo-con-la-rughetta/

1 Like

That’s just like the tagliata I mentioned upthread, although without the Parmesan.

I noticed there was a theme of basically putting hot meat on arugula and letting the leaves wilt. Even the sheet pan chicken and bread salad was along those lines. I’m certainly trying a few of these ideas soon.

2 Likes

There are other recipes on the internet for Straccetti that do include parmesan.

Lovely dish …

Thank you for posting the recipe.