Encouraging seniors to participate in pot lucks

Fried green tomatoes with pimento cheese s popular here in Cincy. Agree about chicken livers. In fact our first party was pate party. I did beef liver and friend did chicken.

3 Likes

As you may know I was just in cincy last week visiting a friend who is originally from cincy, moved to LA in 1980 and has moved back. He lives in the Westchester area. What brought you to Cincy?

I found the people great, and the area beautiful as a small metro area as compared to NYC, where I am. The food scene was less then I imagined, although nothing I had was bad, say for the Skyline spaghetti.

1 Like

Phreddy, my son went to Xavier and stayed. He owns Biowheels Bike workshop. I promised my sons that when I retired and the housing market improved I would move close to one of them. I have visited Cincy every year since the '90s and really like it. We enjoy ethnic cuisine. There are innumerable Indian restaurants and love Thai cuisine. New Thai restaurant, Sukothai, is our new Thai fave. I live in Montgomery, 5 min. from son. That is a gorgeous town with a municipal involvement in diversity which excited me.

3 Likes

I had dinner last Saturday at the Montgomery Inn, delicious ribs and chicken. It is really a nice main street, and I can see why you were attracted.

1 Like

Montgomery Inn is known for its BBQ. You should have seen that street when al the trees that line the street were in bloom. Awesome. I stopped for late lunch at the Inn to reward myself after physical therapy just down the street. I love their grilled Pacific yellowtail sandwich, in the family of sole or flounder.

3 Likes

Did this thread take a retro turn, what about a cold or room temp soup served individually in tea cups or a serve yourself punch bowl for easy sipping ā€¦ possibilities are endless

Cincinnati IS retro. No need to turn.
:wink:

3 Likes

Hey cooks! Want to report back on my Happy Hour. Somewhat retro. Everyone happy and had surprising comment from other floor to host next. I made ham stuffed mushrooms, mini Reubens, kielbasa in applesauce and pimento cheese. Purpose was Aphasia Awareness Month. It was cohosted by neighbor with multiple strokes and aphasia and we had handouts and activity to educate

12 Likes

Terrific!

1 Like

It sounds like a success with more to come. Nice to tie it in with some medical information as well.

1 Like

I keep trying, and have even made it for parties, but me and pimento cheese are not meant to be. Something about shredded cheese + mayo I find off-putting.

Iā€™m not a huge fan. But I do like the jalapeno pimento cheese from The Fresh Market spread thinly on crackers once in a while.

It was love at first bite for me, and that was just a few years ago, maybe 4-5. Our southern hosts thought it was so strange we hadnā€™t previously tried it.

1 Like

Report: Our apartment complex is work in progress. I am trying to learn to balance ME and ā€œI hate to cook neighbors.ā€ It is working. We just had great Super Bowl Sunday. I did wings and potato skins. I have discovered incidental opportunities. They are now looking for next reason to gather.

4 Likes

St. Patrickā€™s Day? (Iā€™m in Boston so that is practically a Federal holiday here.) Lots of old-school food possibilities that can all be tailor-made to be a bit healthier.

Hereā€™s a list of holidays and special days. You can celebrate something almost any day - lots of possibilities!

http://www.holidayinsights.com/moreholidays/

Especially the ā€œfood holidaysā€ :joy:
http://holidayinsights.com/food-holidays.htm

1 Like

Irish Soda Bread

3 cups all-purpose flour

1 tablespoon baking powder

1/3 cup white sugar

1 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon baking soda

1 egg, lightly beaten

2 cups buttermilk

1/4 cup butter, melted

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Grease a 9x5 inch loaf pan.

Combine flour, baking powder, sugar, salt and baking soda. Blend egg and buttermilk together, and add all at once to the flour mixture. Mix just until moistened. Stir in butter. Pour into prepared pan.

Bake for 65 to 70 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the bread comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Wrap in foil for several hours, or overnight, for best flavor.

Irish Stew

2 lbs. Lamb, cubed
2 cups peeled, cubed potatoes
3/4 cup chopped onions
bay leaf
2 tsp. thyme
salt and pepper to taste
2 cups meat stock
margarine
SautƩ onions in small amount of margarine till soft in stew pot
Combine all other ingredients in pot. Bring to mild boil.
Reduce heat and simmer uncovered Ā½-1 hour until lamb is done.

(I prefer cubing leg of lamb than low cut meats. I have also found left over leg of lamb makes up very nicely though not as well.)

Irish Casserole

1 med. head of green cabbage, thinly sliced

3 baking potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
3 cooking apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
1 onion, finely chopped
Butter
Salt and pepper
1 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup fine bread crumbs
1/2 cup finely grated Swiss Cheese

Arrange 1/3 of cabbage, apples and potatoes and onions in layers in large ovenproof casserole.
Dot heavily with butter and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Repeat two more layers.
Pour in heavy cream. Cover casserole and bake at 350 for 45 min. or until just tender.
Sprinkle with bread crumbs and cheese and return to oven uncovered until top browned with nice crust.

2 Likes

Your St Pattyā€™s Day menu sounds awesome. Iā€™d pull a chair up to your table. By the way, why use margarine instead of butter in the lamb stew? Iā€™d use olive oil or a combination of butter and olive oil instead.

The Irish also do great vegetarian soups along with brown bread. When my hubby B and I visited Ireland a few years ago, as a pescatarian, I got hooked on the brown bread/veggie soup combo. They were so hearty at times that I pretty much had that for lunch or dinner.

Plus Guinness. Because a well-poured one is a food group.

2 Likes

The volunteer fire company in the country hosts a pot luck quarterly in conjunction with mandated business meetings. Much of the community turns up, and the contributions are as varied as the population. Some quite accomplished, some from a mix, all well received and delicious. These events bring the community together little else does. Meeting people, making connections you didnā€™t know possible, discovering talents and histories that are mind-blowing.

Once you establish a reason or occasion for these get togethers, they are almost self perpetuating since they are a lot of unexpected fun.

1 Like