Encouraging seniors to participate in pot lucks

PS: my sons love Ikea and Swedish meatballs rule!

I prefer their chicken meatballs now, the blasphemy!
Someone mentioned the veggie ones are really good too, but I haven’t tried them.

They also sell the broccoli-potato cakes frozen, those always go faster than the meatballs :joy:

2 Likes

My grandmother’s signature appetizer that was not just expected but absolutely looked forward to for family occasions was a shrimp dip of sorts that used something they call “salad shrimp” in CA, just very small sized, probably can find them frozen. It had mayo and a bit of cream cheese, some chopped celery, diced water chestnuts, and scallions. I want to say there was a bit of beef bullion in there as the seasoning
? The most important part though was really the toast triangles. White bread, crusts cut off, cut into four triangles, toasted well. (I was always much more into the toast!)

1 Like

Whatever sounds good and fits todays theme. It might be healthy, it might not.

We’ll have a great time either way.

http://foodtimeline.org

Search the listings for recent decades for a list of once-popular dishes that you may not have made in a long while.

2 Likes

Erica, thanks so much for the link. I lost it years ago. It certainly is a great way to plan a retro party. So glad I found this group!

Welcome, margeslp! I hope you enjoy our community!!!

Those are our resident shrimp here in Oregon, usually labeled bay shrimp :fried_shrimp:

:slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m having a great time Gwen. I miss the old days from BHG but finding like minded souls here.

1 Like

I know this will probably sound silly, but do you have Cincinnati chili meetups, where different folks bring different toppings and versions?
Or are y’all sick :mask: of the stuff.
It was always one of the most discussed regional foods over at Roadfood, both negatively and positively.

1 Like

What is BHG?

Love what you’re doing! A fun resource is Square Meals by Jane and Michael Stern. It
“presents hundreds of recipes for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks, all based on old pamphlets, product brochures, community cookbooks, and popular cookbooks that first appeared between 1920 and 1960”. It’s available on Amazon. I’ve used it for some throwback parties which were great.

2 Likes

Better Homes and Gardens

1 Like

Actually I just moved to Cincy from upstate NY. I have loved the Cincy chili for years since my son put a packet in my Xmas stocking. My only issue is having on spaghetti. I like dunking bread in it as I do Texas style

Better Homes and Garden. They had an extensive number of boards based on each of their magazines. I made wonderful friends and met several!

1 Like

You can’t get much more retro than pimento cheese. Serve with crackers, toast, stuffed in celery or whites of hard-boiled eggs. Or tucked into small rolls, wrapped in foil and heated in the oven to melt the cheese.

Julia Child’s chicken liver mousse is always a winner. Very easy to shortcut her recipe. Just saute the shallots and livers, deglaze and chuck all into a blender, add butter and cream and let it rip. Do run the machine loong enough to ensure a silken smooth patĂ©. Again, a surprising winner.

1 Like

Pimento cheese is good on almost everything! Pronounced pimenna according to my NC friend. Southern hostesses used to be judged on their PC. There is an outstanding recipe in the Charleston Receipts book. Of course all over the Internet with dozens of variations.

2 Likes

Another great book to peruse for themed ideas is Celebrate by the late Sheila Lukins.

Okay. Now I get it. You’re almost in a foreign land.

Aha! That makes sense. They’re always used for “shrimp louie” salads in central CA too

1 Like