Encouraging seniors to participate in pot lucks

These events are mind-blowing. The city of Montgomery (Ohio) sponsors a diversity pot luck that packs the building with foods from around the world. An utter delightful chance to meet our neighbors of wide, wide range of ethnicity

4 Likes

Lowell, Massachusetts, has Americaā€™s largest free folk music festival every July. Attendees come from all races, ethnicities, ages, genders, and income levels. Stages are all over the small city center, and ethnic food is for sale at vendor booths on the cordoned-off streets. As enjoyable as the music and food are, what I like best is the enthusiastic sharing of cultures. I will always remember the wizened little Vietnamese lady offering a platter of dumplings to the cook in the Greek food booth next to hers. The Greek couple happily traded it for a platter of kebabs in pita bread. Nearby, as his family waited for the start of a band from their native Cambodia, a happily-squealing toddler bopped to the beat of Afro-Caribbean steel drums. If only it didnā€™t take a festival in order for people to set aside their xenophobia!

4 Likes

Iā€™m a senior . Iā€™ll continue to drink wine , grill meats , eat shellfish and fish , make sliders , tacos , fried chicken , pizza , love vegetables, Irish coffee with breakfast. Pastas , soups , enjoy going out .Not getting this senior thing .

9 Likes

I remember when it was cool to be a senior. Everyone looked up to you. Wait, that was high schoolā€¦

3 Likes

Absolutely. And add a few new experiences along the way!

2 Likes

I am tooā€¦but when I talked to my doctor the other day,I pretty much described your meals as mine. He said: ā€œyou are eating a well balanced dietā€¦ got you this far why not continue?ā€

4 Likes

As youā€™ve said, this festival is the best. It took me a long time to finally get there, but ever since we started going itā€™s become a highlight of our summer.

1 Like

Emglow, You had me with Irish coffee with breakfast. Actually, I started this discussion in regard to seniors who hate to cook, not are watching their diets. I am in a senior apartment community where I was told the day I arrived they didnā€™t do pot lucks because no one wanted to cook. I have been here a year and my joy of cooking is rubbing off. We now hold appetizer parties and pot lucks and folks are now sharing recipes.

6 Likes