Empty restaurants New Jersey

The City of Asbury Park announced today that “All service establishments in Asbury Park with a liquor license (bars and restaurants) must close to the public on a daily basis no later than 10:00pm beginning March 15, 2020. Service establishments without a liquor license, but that have an occupancy of 75 or more, (restaurants, event spaces, hotel lobbies, retail etc), will be required to close no later than 10:00pm on a daily basis beginning March 15, 2020.

As I said earlier, many places are pushing their takeout and to-go packages, so I hope those can keep them afloat. I was at Burbelmeiers in Ocean Grove around 3 today and there was a line of 5 people in front of me; the owner said it’s been like that for a few days, which I think is terrific.

Watermark closed all together by choice as did Hotel Tides

1 Like

I think I read Hoboken had made all restaurants go take out delivery only and all bars closed.

1 Like

Red Bank has just made the order: all liquor-only establishments are to close, restaurants can only serve takeout and delivery. ANY non-essential business with capacity of 25 or more are also to shut.

When I mused in my review of Red Rock the other day that this could be our last time out for a while, I was right.

2 Likes

We got takeout from Peking Pavilion in Manalapan Saturday evening. It’s usually jammed with dozens of people waiting for a table (no reservations for less than 6 people) on a Saturday night. It was only about a third full.

1 Like

I applaud the town govt of RB for this. I see so many people not taking this seriously and esp treating the school closings like a snow day with kids assembling en mass…
I have a feeling this will be the way it goes for the whole state soon.
I feel for all those in the industry right now- hopefully takeout/delivery is enough to stretch this thing out.
Tip well on any pickups/takeout orders. Hopefully they put temp freeze on evictions/water/internet/power/gas shutoffs for awhile for anyone adversely affected by this new reality.

5 Likes

I went to Old Glory on Saturday night. Good / decent crowd but for a Saturday the restaurant was about 50% full. Great meal good once again!

Water/power/gas companies have already instituted a freeze, I believe. Most internet providers as well.

1 Like

Town and Country Keyport on a Sunday around 1pm. Maybe 5 tables full and they closed early for lack of biz. Meanwhile, 5 of us ate for $50. Solid menus.

3 Likes

Costanera Restaurant in Montclair is doing a wonderful service to the community. Below is an excerpt from their Instagram account.
Attention all community members: Between the hours of 12:30-3:30PM today, we will be preparing pre-packaged, ready to eat meals at no cost. To participate, simply stop by during these hours and note that supplies are limited. We are trying to use food that will otherwise be thrown away. Please share this information with anyone you feel would need this service.

6 Likes

that really is nice…
I hope any spots can work with food pantries, first responders and hospital workers, and local with Soul Kitchen so any unused food goes to those who need it during this time

1 Like

glad to hear- I know a lot of the problem with school closings was lack of internet access or even pcs at home…
we just had to get the little ones chromebooks for what im guessing will be at least 6 weeks of distance learning

1 Like

Amazing. AMAZING!!! This is one thing I’m seeing over and over again; if you live in a town that’s already community-focused, it’s growing.

I woke up to a bunch of updates on email and on social media from AP restaurants and stores. With the new rules in place, many of them are doing takeout/delivery ONLY, pushing for gift card purchases, and being 100% honest about how scary this is. I’m trying to support the locals as much as I can for as long as we can go out and they can stay open.

This is just one example, from the company that runs Reyla and Barrio Costero:
Want to help continue to support us?
If you are not comfortable with leaving the house, we understand! We encourage you to purchase gift cards in the mean time that you can use at a later date!
10% of sales made from gift card purchases will be donated back to Trinity’s Food Pantry!

3 Likes

(I"m going to create a special thread dedicated to any “specials” local restaurants are running so we have one place to go to see what is happening and who/what we can do to help support the locals)

3 Likes

thanks JR- I posted a cpl I was aware of on the best deals page Curlz brought back. Would be a good chance for us all to sample some local spots and do some good while providing info should someone google it.
I’ll be stocking up on BagelMasters delivery soon- hopefully they freeze well.
hopefully Foodtown still has wine left.

2 Likes

lol we got Bagel Masters yesterday, line was out the door as usual!

1 Like
1 Like

yeah. Darren has been all over FB trying to figure out what to do for his shop b/c its’s not possible to social distance in there…but he’s trying to push delivery as well. Hopefully that helps.

1 Like

The NJ legislature was discussing this morning a bill for business interruption because of this virus.
Typically virus is an excluded item on policies but if passed, insurers providing business interruption coverage will be required to provide coverage due to the virus.

2 Likes

In my experience, the best way to freeze bagels (even long-term) is to do it in a Ziploc bag!

2 Likes