Empty restaurants New Jersey

That’s a very good deal.

1 Like

Interesting…very interesting…

1 Like

Don’t know if any of you read my update on the Seattle resto scene, but very high end places are totally switching their paradigms, and offering breakfast sandwiches, coffee drinks, donuts and burgers, with improvised drive through set ups. Small mom & pop businesses are scrambling to do whatever they can to serve the public and stay open! It’s great!

4 Likes

@Lambchop I take it that you are talking about Canlis in Seattle. What a great attitude, and way to think outside of the box and adapt to the unfortunate circumstances.

Eight days ago, we were having a team meeting when we got the official announcement from the government telling people that no one should gather in large groups. We’d gone into the meeting to plan how we’d ride out the storm. But then we asked the question: How do you feed a city? What does hospitality look like? How can we keep our staff working and safe? We came out of the meeting thinking that we have a city to feed. We realized that the game is not over; we just need new rules.

We’re a 70-year-old fine dining restaurant off the freeway with 110 employees, but we decided to channel our inner drive-thru. We have a huge parking lot, and I feel like that’s what this restaurant has always wanted to be. People love our burgers, we thought, so let’s just serve them up. And our chef makes a mean veggie melt. One of expediters chimed up and said she makes a great bagel, so we’re turning the shipping container by our gardens, where we bake most of our breads, into the bagel shed. We thought, our chefs take such pride and care in serving family meal to the rest of the staff—what if we packed that up with some wine and delivered it to people who are self-isolating or quarantined or afraid of eating out? We all have cars. We can run our own delivery. I think these ideas can create new jobs for our staff while keeping them safe, and redefine hospitality in an unsure time.
I wish you could witness the feelings before and after that meeting. We’ve now spent eight days planning to open three totally new concepts: Canlis Drive on Thru, The Bagel Shed, and Family Dinner delivery. I’m so proud of this team, and always have been. It feels like I’m letting the city see what they’re capable of. Up until recently, our dining room was doing 50 or 60 covers. On Monday, there’s a strong chance we’ll serve 1,000 people. In a news environment where the headlines are increasingly hard to hear, I’m excited to have something to do, that my staff has something to do. We want to feed this city. I’m not a nurse, but I have a kitchen and a remarkable team, and we want to help. – Mark Canlis , Canlis, Seattle

1 Like

Thanks @paryzer, and yes, you are very astute, Canlis it is! I’m so energized and uplifted by this attitude of shifting operations to a totally different concept. Thanks for the additional information, and thoughts you added to my original post. You are on top of it, I suspect, with your love of fine dining!

Be well, to both you and yours. I do love your resto and home cooking posts by the way.

2 Likes

Thanks for the kind words @Lambchop! I appreciate it.
I am also very happy to hear that you are making some progress with your long unfortunate illness. It sounds ten times worse than any Corona virus illness and treatment…

1 Like

I ended up having a drink at Iron Whale on the AP Boardwalk last night (because I’d been out walking in that glorious weather)… bar was about 90% full during happy hour, but the restaurant wasn’t super busy by 7pm.

ETA that when a friend joined me, we moved to a table in the bar area. In spite of a less than full place, the bartenders are always excellent, but the wait staff, not so much; this is why I’ll have a drink and then go elsewhere for food. (Added that here because while I thought we had a straight-up HH thread, we don’t, and the Best Deals in Monmouth thread hasn’t had a post since 2016.)

2 Likes

Restaurants are not the only empty places. I know this is not food related, but I had a routine maintenance service appointment with BMW this morning and I was the ONLY person in the waiting room on a SATURDAY! I was out in less than an hour. Usually they are jam packed on Saturdays and the wait is close to 2 hours. When I went to pick up my car the steering wheel, and seat were completely covered in plastic. Even though the maintenance was covered, the invoice listed latex gloves and masks.

4 Likes

Was at Frank’s this morning around 10am after a visit to Wegmans at 6 am, and a home Depot Restaurant Depot stop shortly after RD opened.

Franks wasn’t even half full on a Saturday morning, but seemed to be doing decent pick up business.

I saw Modine in AP is offering a dinner delivery meal deal, feeds 2-4 for 55 bucks. Whole fried chicken, salad, hush puppies, potato salad and him hock collards and biscuits.
They also advertise a sparkling bottle of wine or 4 talk boys but that has an asterisk by it so likely costs more.

1 Like

Cardinal Provisions is also doing dinners to go… today’s is a half chicken, wild rice, 5-spice brussels, and butternut squash for $35 (feeds 2-4 depending on who you’re feeding). A great deal and I love how creative our locals are getting in a time of crisis.

1 Like

We bumped into the owner of the Speakeatery at restaurant Depot.
It was even crazy there, he thought they may have opened it up to the public, especially seeing us there.

I would imagine most places will start to rely heavily on pick up and delivery especially when people really start to realize the importance of social distancing.

A doctor friend of ours wouldn’t stop by our house tonight for a drink and it was just going to be four of us.

1 Like

Remember that it’s not just restaurants that are hurting, but our local shops too. Unless you’re selling toilet paper and hand sanitizer, your store is feeling the drop off in customers. Shop small when you shop and help our local merchants.

3 Likes

We should revive the best deals thread. Some good o we now

1 Like

Everyone left popeyes and started the brawls back up over at costco

1 Like

Thank you as well for your kind words @paryzer! I won’t lie, it hasn’t been a picnic this winter, but I consider myself very lucky to have the outcome I have had, along with excellent health care! It can’t however compare to what others may be going through, with tough surgeries, chemo or radiation regimens, or other necessary interventions. I’m grateful everyday! BTW, think it was pretty tacky for your dealership to charge you for the mask and gloves worn for your BMW service! It was nice you got in and out of there fast, however.

1 Like

There was no charge for the routine maintenance by BMW. However, they provide you with an invoice with all that was done, and the mask and gloves were listed on the invoice.

1 Like

Please tell me they didn’t charge you for gloves lol

It makes sense that they appear on the invoice. They are probably keeping track of inventory so when they get audited they can say we used x amount of gloves/masks etc. my guess

Ah, got it now! Thought they were charging you for the protective gear. Thanks for clarifying.

BMW don the protective gear before they bend you over when they present your bill. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

:rofl::rofl: At least @paryzer‘s was covered, since routine maintenance only. I’m