Empty restaurants New Jersey

I make bread roughly once week - 2x a month. I always slice it and freeze it. I’m toasting it anyway and never noticed any issues.

2 Likes

As the rules change and with more restaurants closing (hopefully temporarily), I’d like to suggest that for those who are okay with doing so that we get takeout from our locals AND FREEZE WHAT WE CAN’T EAT IMMEDIATELY. At least the restaurants can use up the stock they have vs. dumping it that way…

and now they are exclusively delivery/curbside…which is what they should be…
lunch tmw is a good PR,E,&C - only question - on a bagel or a roll?

Not only is it a good deal but Nicholas Creamery too?! Genius! Best thing I’ve heard all day.

2 Likes

What a great idea! I wish I had room in one of my 3 freezers.

2 Likes

Today my wife had to lay off 350 employees including herself for her company, a wholesale/retail/restaurant seafood operation in NYC. The impact of closures are not limited to the owners, servers, bartenders and cooks, but extends to the HR personnel, bookkeepers, etc. and beyond. Difficult times all around for far, far too many.

1 Like

UGH, so sorry to hear it.

1 Like

Sorry to read this. Hopefully we all do the right thing and your wife and her 350 colleagues are back at it sooner vs. later! Stay well and healthy my friend.

3 Likes

So sorry to read this! &^&&^%$%^& virus!

2 Likes

I see that Bloom in Verona and Il Nido in Marlboro have decided to temporarily close instead of offering takeout / delivery. At least I was able t get one last outstanding dinner out at Bloom on Saturday. At that time they said they were doing takeout / delivery but I guess they didn’t get enough business to keep it going. It looks like my dinner at Bistro D’Azur on Sunday was my last meal out for a while :sob: I hope that Laurel & Sage will at least be open for takeout on Saturday. That was supposed to be our last dinner there before they close at the end of the month. I would have liked to have said one final goodbye, and have one final meal there after 5 years.

2 Likes

Was there later in the week and it was already getting sparse… I heard Tom Colichio (did I mangle that spelling) who is predicting less than 75% of restaurants will survive… People need to reach out for take out and gift cards to keep them going…

1 Like

Heartbreaking article: McLoone’s just laid off 1,000 employees spread across their brand.

Read another article with estimates saying that less than 75% of restaurants may be unable to reopen when this is over.

One worker at an establishment I won’t name was in tears at my BF’s job saying the owner of his bar/restaurant said he will not have the funds to reopen and are not even going to attempt a takeout business.

1 Like

Just put this up on my blog. Since I won’t be reviewing restaurants for a while, I figured I would try to keep tabs on what businesses are doing and highlight them.

Restaurant Specials and People Doing Good Vol. 1

Here at Eating New Jersey, we will be monitoring restaurant specials and businesses doing good during this time of crisis. Below are some of the most recent highlights and announcements:

Olde Village Pub (Middletown), starting today, is offering a free cheeseburger or chicken sandwich to anyone in the restaurant industry who is affected by unemployment or reduced hours. Just bring in a pay stub to prove your employment.

House of Chong (Red Bank/Middletown) is going out of its way to enhance already intensified safety precautions by individually bagging and sealing each item within your takeout order.

Fratelli’s Restaurant and Pizzeria (Red Bank/Middletown) has a 40% discount available on takeout and delivery orders to workers in the medical industry.

Grilled Cheese with Bacon at Et Al.

One of our favorite lunch places, The Greek Spot (Red Bank and Ocean), is offering a free meal to any child in need. This is available at both of their locations. The same gesture is happening at The Burger Shop (Matawan), which is encouraging children to call ahead for a free lunch to take home.

For those on the Jersey Shore, Et Al (Highlands) and My Kitchen Witch (Monmouth Beach) have always been great spots for takeout and picking up prepared foods. Just the other day, Et Al launched a Family Style Dinner menu with customizable options depending on how many people you need to feed. Both offer delivery services.

As previously mentioned, Restaurant Nicholas (Red Bank) has a really spectacular prixe-fixe takeout menu available and has just launched a liquor delivery service with special deals on bottles of wine under $20.

And lastly, our good friends at the Revere Tavern (Lancaster, Pennsylvania) are offering a free roll of toilet paper for every $25 spent on takeout orders. Hey, if the shit (no pun intended) hits the fan in New Jersey, we can kill two birds with one stone at our favorite out-of-state restaurant and bar! Sorry, but sometimes we just have to have a laugh!

Originally posted here on my blog.

6 Likes

Teak and Bistro per FB are looking for organizations to donate food to. Apparently they are cooking up whatever is in kitchen and looking to donate it. IF anyone knows a worthy/needy spot please hit them up on FB or IG.

3 Likes

An ominous post from Restaurant Nicholas:

What can really be said about this life changing event that we are all going through? I never dreamed in a million years that I would have to stand in front of my bartenders, dining room staff and dishwashers to explain how they can collect unemployment.

I had to tell employees that have been loyal to me for 20 years that they are not allowed to work. There is no insurance that covers the losses that Melissa and I will suffer and I have no idea when we will be allowed to reopen, but I have spent very little time worrying about that… I have one overwhelming concern and that is the welfare of my staff. Will they be able to pay their rent or mortgage, will they be able to feed their kids?

I talked to three other Monmouth County restaurateurs yesterday and between the 4 of us, we laid off over 2000 staff members. Yes, that’s a real number. I know this is way out of my control but I can’t help but feel that I somehow have let my staff down. Thankfully, not only do we have the greatest staff on the planet, we also have the best customers.

Yesterday, I received 2 checks in the mail from customers with simple notes basically saying “Thinking of your staff, please see they get the money.” Oh my god, it’s the first time I had to take a moment to collect my emotions. I’ve had countless other guests text /email /call to ask how they can help.

For those that would like to help the staff, I’ve started a Go Fund Me page (link below) … don’t worry, they will get every cent.

Take care and be well,
Nicholas & Melissa Harary

PS. Please ignore the “Goal amount” on the Go Fund Me Page, The site makes you enter one and we felt uncomfortable making it too high or too low. Let’s face it, there is no right answer with this one…

5 Likes

Just curious what did you find ominous about it? A bit self centered for my palate but not ominous in my opinion.

I don’t know. I guess the laying off part, the fact that their to go menu does not seem to be working. The sign of things to come for more and more places.

My main job separate from lecturing is in the medical industry and we had a very rough day today mentally.

3 Likes

It’s a very tough time all around, but especially for hospitality. My niece works for Marriott and was told today that she’ll be furloughed, and the rumor is they’ll receive 20% of their usual pay. I told her that’s better than nothing…

2 Likes

The restaurants in New Orleans, at least the ones I follow, initially were doing the curbside pick up but are now announcing the are closing

I’m sorry for your day Greg.

2 Likes