Dungeness Crabs! It's time!

Dungeness Crab Health Advisory Lifted in Parts of Marin County!

CDPH initially warned consumers on November 1, 2019 not to consume the viscera of Dungeness crab in that region.

2 Likes

I just saw a show on the tonga room in san Fran. Their chili crab looked killer! I looked on google for a few and didn’t see a recipe, but I’m sure it is there.

3 Likes

Picked up some nice lively ones at a local Asian grocery (99 Ranch Grant Rd. in Mountain View) this morning, living dangerously, ate the crab butter aka tomalley :yum:. Steamed & cleaned them to bring up to friends tomorrow as they are scarce where they live. Interesting watching the price climb as Christmas gets closer. They were $5.99/lb on Friday, $7.99/lb today.

2 Likes

My chili crab! Well…my chili crab leftovers.

Soooo many recipes out there!

6 Likes

We got a few Dungeness yesterday at Pacific Market (Westborough, Daly City), which, by the way, is a terrific store. Very large and $6.99 pound. Intentionally got too much for our family of 3 and will be making crab cakes.

3 Likes

@atomica, I’d love to hear how (ingredients and technique) you and others make their crab cakes. I usually try to use a Boulevard recipe.

Here is a thread started by @emglow101 circa '16

This one is good too.

1 Like

Back when we lived on the coast we had eight commercial style sport pots that we fished off the back of a 32 foot fishing boat. The boat comfortably set 8 people and on a good run we would pull 10 per person. Somebody would have the pot slow boiling by the time we got back to the dock where we would cook most of them and stand around eating them like cavemen throwing the shells in the river.
And then after our friends took some home who magically appeared without notice we would crack the rest setting aside the meat. from their everybody would take their meat home and make all kinds of different concoctions, crab cakes, crab Louie’s, crab sandwiches with fresh homemade bread and my favorite crab Pizza. After two or three days of that you really didn’t want to see another Dungeness crab till next season LOL. Those sure were the good old days.

5 Likes

I can’t imagine turning an offer of crab down, but I always get less meticulous about my picking, and more picky about my “recipes” as the season progresses.

1 Like

I hear ya Shrinkrap. One of our favorite recipes was Dungeness eggs benedict. The pizza we made was with a buttery Alfredo and smoked gouda cheese with big pile of Dungeness meat on top.

2 Likes

$7.99/lb live $8.99/lb cooked at Sun Fat SF.

1 Like

$7/lb off the boats at Pillar Point Harbor. 2.2 lb average crab weight. 4-5 boats selling crab today.

8 Likes

These look great! Do the boats go out on Sundays? Around what time do they usually get back in to sell their catch?

The boats fish based on the weather. The boats can hold a few days worth of catch, there are local retail seafood markets selling fresh cooked crab in the area.

There is a whiteboard outside the harbormasters office listing boasts, location, and seafood.

3 Likes

I didn’t ask when they caught them, but this app/web page seems to list the boats that are selling and whether they are sold out so you could call to make sure before heading over.
http://fishlineapp.com/

1 Like

Pretty flawless :crab: Right now.

7 Likes

Nice!

1 Like

Thank you! That will be extremely helpful.

1 Like

When a crabs legs are not tucked tightly against the body after cooking, it means the crab was dead before cooking.

Hmm. If you look at the crab in the top left photo the legs aren’t tight against the body, but it was super lively and aggressive and most definitely alive when I put it in the pot.

1 Like

Yep. Dare you to put your finger there.

1 Like