Duck Fat Advice

We get quite a few overstock bargains from
3 little pigs at our local independent market. They’re in the pipeline for gourmet close dated stuff.

2 Likes

I keep left over pieces of a block in “those” vacuum sealed bags.

And don’t forget popcorn!

I think I once got a batch from D’artagnan. The Best 10 Ways to Cook with Duck Fat

1 Like

I think he could leave the fat in the tray, use a thin knife to cut portions, freeze solid, then break apart and pop out of the tray.

And definitely get more!

4 Likes

“pipeline for gourmet close dated stuff.”

Any more clues? I want in!

1 Like

Yes!

Duck fat roasted potatoes alone should warrant a few containers.

3 Likes

This! Oooh, I love duck fat pan fried potatoes.

2 Likes

The way we have them is truly roasted and they are dynamite. Par boil the chunks, drain and shake around a bit to roughen the outsides. While that’s happening heat the roasting pan and melt the duck fat in it. Plop the potatoes in and move around a bit to coat, then roast until brown and crisp. (My mouth is watering as I type.)

5 Likes

We are halfway between Portland and the Bay Area and that contributes to the abundance.

This was$1.99.

We get Olympia Provisions stuff, lots of cheese from small places, interesting pastries, deli meats. The other day there were lamb shoulders and legs at $1.99 lb/$2.99 Lb.

The meat and cheese manager told me he has 6 different distributors of product to draw upon.
For a while we were getting Grote & Weigel
meats. Then Feltman’s hot dogs.
Funny thing was my hot dog friends back East saw none of these. Just about 1/3 to a 1/2 of retail.
They are a warehouse style independent store in a town full of food types with $$.
Same applies to the other departments including beer and wine.
The kind of store that will willingly stock locally grown and sourced product.
Usually the organic and regular produce are the same or close in price.
Lots of volume.

4 Likes

I’m so jealous! I don’t remember where you are, but am hoping/wishing the store is N. Cal Bay Area.

Marin’s farthest North suburb, Ashland, Oregon.
:slight_smile:
Ashland ShopNkart is the store name .

3 Likes

Sigh. Somehow I associate your exploits with Sausalito.

1 Like

That’s the back story. My sister and brother in law were longtime residents of gate 5.
I helped them move up here to the Rogue Valley and liked it and stayed, eventually,
after a stint in Scottsdale.

1 Like

bbqboy I didn’t know you lived in Ashland. Lived there for 4 years myself, waaaay long ago. Maybe even before you were born LOL ~ Cheers!

1 Like

Seems like a no brainer for me with the hour plus drive from mt Shasta.

3 Likes

I’ve been here since the late 80’s.

Lots of folks from Weed, Mt. Shasta and Dunsmuir head up this way for shopping and entertainment. We more fun than Redding and Red Bluff.
:cowboy_hat_face:
I didn’t realize you had permanently moved there.
We’ve got the Co-op and Market of Choice
too, + more stuff from Ashland to Central Point.
You’d enjoy it.
I think :thinking:

1 Like

4 Likes

$1.49 and $1.99

2 Likes

:open_mouth: I lived there from 81-85. :wink:

1 Like

3 posts were split to a new topic: What would you do with Buffalo primal?