Doughs and desserts that are not baked

Smashing!

1 Like

@Babette when I started the No Bake desserts thread, I was thinking of refrigerator cakes, no bake cheesecakes, layered trifles. Desserts that don’t involve raw flour or cooking.

Donuts and fried dough aren’t No Bake Desserts to me, lol.

If you want a separate thread, that’s fine, but the first time I created a thread like this I posted about my favorite no-bake Oreo cheesecake and also things like rice pudding and butterscotch pudding. A lot of other no-bake desserts have a cooking element, too, like the lime semifreddo. There’s no raw flour involved, but there’s still an Italian meringue. Or a panna cotta.
I also didn’t want to limit it to dessert only, since I know lots of people don’t use their ovens much but might be interested in carby things that don’t require one. So you might want a no-cook dessert thread instead.

Social tea squares are my favourite. My adult brother and I can devour a full pan, while fighting off the rest of the family. This looks the same as my mom’s recipe—must have been one of those back of the box things in the 70s. Her handwritten copy also notes that there were 42 cookies in one sleeve, though I think the biscuits have shrunk in size. I always melt the marshmallows in, as I don’t really like them whole. Makes mine extra gooey. https://www.food.com/recipe/doris-social-tea-squares-84653

3 Likes

Ok. Trifle isn’t a no bake dessert to me because I’d be baking the cake layers :woman_shrugging:t2:

If I’ve somehow ruined your topic with my suggestion, maybe the mods can separate things again.

I’m not going to bother separating the threads since I asked that they be joined since it seemed ppl thought my No Bake thread treaded on this thread.

I realize some no bake desserts could involve melting butter or marshmallows, and some puddings require cooking.

Doesn’t matter! I have to avoid desserts and doughs right now- baked, fried, uncooked, anyhow, so I will leave this thread be.

2 Likes

I snipped all the garlic chives, so I decided to make Chinese chives pockets/boxes. I don’t have dried shrimp, but these are still so delicious without them! Ground Sichuan peppercorn is great in these along with five spice. Filling is the classic egg and mung bean noodle, sesame oil, soy sauce. I added a little fish sauce, too.

13 Likes

I decided to do a test run of some triple chocolate mousse cakes, and I haven’t had this dessert in years, but I’m struck by how completely irrelevant the white chocolate is and even the milk chocolate mousse has a similar issue. I feel when you taste it, the bittersweet chocolate takes over, so I’d rather make a mousse cake with one type of chocolate.
I’ve made notes on how to improve it, which include adding a good amount of vanilla to the white chocolate mousse and healthy pinches of salt to every mousse even though it’s never listed for this sort of thing, but chocolate without salt is always lacking to me.
I am considering trying again with different mousses (no gelatin at all), but I also kind of really want to make a coffee mousse cake instead :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:.

9 Likes

I wanted to use up some cream that was on the verge of expiring and I didn’t feel like making a cake with whipped cream frosting or any sort of baked dessert, so I decided to make torte plombir. This is a Russian dessert and while there are versions which involve sponge cake, the version I first saw was no-bake. Some recipes call for cookies, but I wanted to do what the first recipe I saw called for, which is to make a sweet short crust and cook it in a pan until nutty brown. It’s just flour, sugar and butter (plus some salt in my case) and then you cook on the stovetop for 10-15 minutes, stirring to ensure even browning. After the crumbs are made, you work on a pastry cream and you use it warm so you can easily spread it over the crumbs.

Most recipes for the pastry cream call for sour cream. The one I made called for heavy cream and since the goal was to use cream, I went with that, plus a little yogurt since I was a bit short of 500 g of cream and had yogurt that needed using as well. The pastry cream was delicious, but I’ve never been very happy with pastry cream made with heavy cream because it has a tendency to be sort of greasy as it cools. Very often you see fat pool out of it and this one as I was layering was showing signs of doing the same, but since I was stirring it as I used it, it didn’t happen. Serious Eats actually mentioned this very thing on their article on pastry cream and all the tests they did.
The little bit of yogurt I used made the pastry cream taste wonderful, so I really think the all sour cream recipes are the way to go. I should have taken this cream and turned it into kefir cream before making this!

I left the torte overnight and had a taste a little while ago. I’m not thrilled with it. Flavor-wise, you can’t really go wrong because it’s cookies and vanilla pudding basically. But it is a little one note and the tang of sour cream would do wonders to give you a more interesting flavor. The bigger issue though is that the torte lacks juiciness. It just tastes kind of dry. I think the pastry cream is too firm. This recipe calls for more cornstarch than I’d use in a regular pastry cream as is, and yet the dessert in question is one where you don’t need a very firm pastry cream because the cookies should soak up the filling. Using half the cornstarch is definitely the way to go, and looking at other recipes they call for less. The other option is one I saw that involves whipping cream into the pastry cream filling for a crème legere. This would also give a looser filling that likely tastes fantastic (sour cream pastry cream lightened with whipped cream can’t be bad).

4 Likes

I wanted biscuit shortcake so i made this recipe. It was good, but much better if treated as an English muffin. That’s what everyone else did. Disappeared quickly. I covered the pan, recipe did not specify.

5 Likes

I’m cheating a little because the crumble for this gooseberry fool is baked, but only for twelve minutes and it could easily be done in a toaster oven.

I made this yesterday with fresh gooseberries from the farmers’ market. It is wonderful. For me, contrast is what makes food exciting and this recipe has plenty of contrast: sweet custard/tart gooseberries, creamy whipped cream/crunchy crumble.

5 Likes

I remember over 30 years ago my dad came home with this Rasperry Delight recipe and asked me to make it:

Raspberry Delight

Ingredients:

Crust:
20 Graham cracker crumbs rolled fine (reserving 1 cup)
1/4 cup dark brown sugar
1/4 cup butter

Middle layer:
3 oz pkg raspberry jell-o
1 cup boiling water
15 oz package frozen raspberries in syrup

Top layer:
20 large white marshmallows (not the king kong size)
1/2 cup hot milk
1 1/2 cups whipping cream
1 packet of Dr. Oekter vanilla sugar
Fresh raspberries (optional)

Method:

Mix crust ingredients together add to a 9 inch glass pie plate.
Reserving 1 cup to sprinkle on top

Disolve the jello in 1 cup of boiling water add the raspberries and separate frozen together ones with a fork.
Allowing jell-o to partially set

Melt marshmallows in1/2 cup hot milk until desolved
Cool

Whip whipping cream to form stiff peaks adding vanilla sugar once soft peaks begin to form

Fold whipping cream into cooled marshmallow mixture

Assemble:

Spread the raspberry mixture on top of the Graham cracker crumbs (Gcc)

Spoon on the cream mixture to form peaks.

Sprinkle with 1 cup Gcc

Decorate with a few fresh raspberries or serve fresh raspberries on the plate if desired.

Refridgerate overnight.

4 Likes

I’m making a no bake cake for tomorrow in honour of the 4th of July. :us:

There were no store baked pound cakes or angle food cakes to be found so I settled on a yellow loaf cake.
Lady fingers dipped in orange juice would also work in a pinch.

Not a fan of frozen whipped toppings so making the marshmallow whipped cream topping from Raspberry Delight (above).

Strawberries are in season and all the ingredients were on sale.
There is no need to over heat the house with the use of an oven so it seems to be a win win.

2 Likes

I wanted to make something in this vein for 4th of July, but the blueberries here can only be found frozen and they look more purple once cooked. I don’t feel like making anything baked either, so I’m not fussing with food coloring. Too bad I’m out of butterfly pea flowers!

1 Like

You could use the frozen blueberries in the Kraft Wave Your Flag cake. Just thaw them or do they have a purple hue once thawed as well as when baked?

P.S.
I just spotted this one online too it has the addition of cream cheese.

Blueberries once they release juice just look purple. Last year I did a flag cake, but I have no desire to bake a layer cake. I’m baking hot dog buns for the franks I made and that’s as much as I’m willing to bake tomorrow. I’m happy with hot dogs and potato salad and no dessert. :grinning:

2 Likes

Sigh… It’s 56 degrees and raining here. Happy 4th O’ July, all you fellow Washingtonians!

I’ll be baking a carrot cake tomorrow.

I was tasked with bringing an egg and gluten free dessert to a bbq today, and decided to try Kenji’s lime and cracker pie. I did an initial scan of reviews that were all very good, but looking at them more closely today I wish I had added more zets/juice. I will report back after we taste it later today!

6 Likes

I love this but I find it inedible as written. From the first time I made it and had a taste of the cream I added lime juice to taste until I ended up with what was a little more than double what the recipe calls for. And everyone loves it that way!

2 Likes

The Greek Canadian/ Greek American Mil Fay, a no bake bastardization of Mille Feuille. Popular at dessert buffets at baby showers, potlucks and at BBQs. https://themidwestmediterranean.com/annas-easy-mil-fay-aka-mille-feuille/