Does your dishwasher silverware basket..

I had some pieces that didn’t fit in some slots ( mostly table and husband’s “steak knives”), but fit in others, so they got priority.

My dishwasher came with two baskets… the main one which is uncovered, and sits on the right side of the bottom rack, and another which has folding covers that mounts to the front of the top rack. I have never used the latter.

I suppose it was designed for small, light objects that may get washed out of the bottom rack, but that has never been an issue with my bottom basket so it sits unused somewhere in my kitchen (but not sure where).

1 Like

I’ve always used the slot covers, on two different Kenmores and now a Bosch. The Bosch’s slots are all different sizes, which is very handy. Anything I can’t fit in the basket goes up top.

2 Likes

No, the only DW in my houses doesn’t have this kind of cover, and I’m happy it doesn’t.

Frankly, I solve any nesting problem by not putting pices that can nest in the same little compartments and pointed in the same direction. Unless someone else has loaded contrary to this (or has let cream cheese harden like spackle), we have no problems.

3 Likes

I use a F&P drawer and it came with the covers. I took them off. I’d imagine they’d offer some minor cleaning advantage but since I’ve never had an issue with the cutlery (loaded tine side up) getting clean I never explored it’s utility.

2 Likes

I don’t use the covers that came with the basket. I don’t have a problem with nesting mainly because I alternate forks, spoons and table knives tops up and down in the sections. No sharps go in the dishwasher. The problem I have with the dishwasher is the 2 spray arms are constantly getting clogged with bell pepper or lemon seeds. I have to frequently take them out and pIck out the detritus from the little ports with tweezers. Aaaarrrggh! The strange thing is the dishes go in clean, so the seeds must come from the sink drain.

2 Likes

Same here.

1 Like

My Bosch does have a cover, but it folds down and we don’t bother with it. Seems to work fine. The Kitchen Aid and Frigidaire I had previously did not, so I just haven’t been in the habit of using it in the previous decades of dishwasher use.

1 Like

Same here. Using the cover would only slow me down. I deal the silverware into the dishwasher with more accuracy and efficiency than a veteran Blackjack dealer.

1 Like

No, and I think that would bug the living daylights out of me. I’m just cooking for myself, and I use a TON of teaspoons - morning cawfee, taste-testing, etc. between dishwasher cleanings. My silverware basket has 6 slots, and I end up using two of them for teaspoons and tablespoons alone. I’ve never had them NOT come out clean.

1 Like

Now having said what I said just above regarding a silverware basket, I bought a separate baby bottle top cleaner basket that I put in the top of my dishwasher for those items (I have some old Tupperware Midgets that fit in them perfectly for cleaning).

3 Likes