Does your dishwasher silverware basket..

…have a slotted cover? It’s annoying, but now that it’s missing, I’m wondering if I should replace it. I know not everyone has or uses a dishwasher. I haven’t always had one with a slotted , and I know it’s not necessary, but I’m wondering how much difference it makes. It’s apparently supposed to keep flatware from nesting so the dishwasher cleans better.

It looks something like this;

kitchenaid-kdte204epa0-silverware-basket-genuine-oem.jpg-198x198

We had to replace our dishwasher last year, and the new one we got had this same cover on the basket. I took it off and our silverware comes out just fine. Much too fussy…

3 Likes

Same. Besides, some cutlery pieces don’t fit.

Just don’t crowd the basket too much.

5 Likes

Thank you both!

Yes, ours has a cover. We never use it.

2 Likes

Same here. My previous DW came with a silverware basket with a slotted cover which I never used. I think the point of this cover is to limit the micro scratches that will dull your silverware in time but it’s a PITA to load and doesn’t change much in terms of cleaning so I never bothered. My current DW is a Miele which clearly outperforms all the Whirlpool, Bosch or Samsung I’ve used in the past: everything comes out clean, shiny and DRY. It is fitted with a very efficient cutlery tray instead of a basket.

4 Likes

My Bosch dishwasher has slotted covers and I use them.

They fold down so that it’s a choice whether to use them.

1 Like

I have a Bosch, too…I use the slots on one side for flatware but fold the other side away for utensils

3 Likes

My older dishwasher had a basket, and then I always used the slotted cover. Somehow felt more safe handling knives and such. My new dishwasher has a separate cutlery rack which is preferable imho.

1 Like

Have it, use it, never thought twice about it.

1 Like

Okay, mine are Bosch too and swore it didn’t have them so I looked. Yep mine do and never knew it. They are just folded down out of the way. I guess using them might make sense to properly wash flatware but I just toss stuff in there and when I return they’re clean. It’s like magic.

2 Likes

It comes in handy when you have small lightweight items that need to be secured, such as reusable plastic lids for cans. You can put them in the bin and close the top.

6 Likes

Oh my, Bosch seems to be quite popular around here ! My previous DW was indeed also a Bosch :grin:
Lasted almost 20 years, cleaned ok but never dried properly.

2 Likes

Our Miele has a slide out tray at the top
and we like this configuration.

https://www.mieleusa.com/e/the-original-cutlery-tray-zpv000000000000000020000444700-f

3 Likes

Same here.

1 Like

yep, same for me. I found it extremely annoying and not helpful and my arthritic hands can’t handle it, either. Silverware does fine as along as it’s distributed more or less evenly throughout the available slots. The older adult male here crams everything in the first two slots. I redistribute now and then.

6 Likes

What great feedback! Thanks everyone.

1 Like

These are my first Bosch and when comparing them to the chainsaws I’ve used in the past these are quite the upgrade.

2 Likes

Found them! Kitchenaid

For pieces which wouldn’t fit, we performed a little surgery and made some of the slots double-wide. Now everything fits.

1 Like